MDS-JA20ES on eBay

Rate this topic

Azureal

Honestly, I don't know why the ES models are special or overpriced. A $50 JE480 will record better than an ES model. So what's the point?

The ES models have a fragile drawer mechanism. I hit the problem with both my 333ES (fixed by Sony) and my 20ES (still broken).

I would rather recommend the QS series. I own two 920QS, and those have never shown any sign of wear, after more than 10 years of daily, intensive use.

The ES models have a fragile drawer mechanism. I hit the problem with both my 333ES (fixed by Sony) and my 20ES (still broken).

I would rather recommend the QS series. I own two 920QS, and those have never shown any sign of wear, after more than 10 years of daily, intensive use.

But why the difference in price between ATRAC DSP Type-R home decks? They all record with the same sound quality.

Who said that all Decks with Type-R produce the same quality recordings ?

Opening up an ES Deck to take a look inside will give you an impression what the difference is.

Likely all Type-R recordings should bve the same i guess they aren´t.

Unfortunately i was planning to do some test recordings on various Type-R Decks but didn´t finish yet.

I was about to clarify what differences do appear between the JA333ES and the JB930QS recording SP from a digital and analog source.

By all means i was just recording and somebody else should have figured out all the rest :D

If i can get the time i will get on soon to finish this.

cheers :-P

ask help from jonathanpotato : http://forums.sonyinsider.com/user/128018-jonathanpotato/

+ http://jonathan.dupre.free.fr/

Who said that all Decks with Type-R produce the same quality recordings ?

Opening up an ES Deck to take a look inside will give you an impression what the difference is.

Likely all Type-R recordings should bve the same i guess they aren´t.

Unfortunately i was planning to do some test recordings on various Type-R Decks but didn´t finish yet.

I was about to clarify what differences do appear between the JA333ES and the JB930QS recording SP from a digital and analog source.

By all means i was just recording and somebody else should have figured out all the rest :D

If i can get the time i will get on soon to finish this.

cheers :-P

I would love a good analysis of this as well. I am recalling MDietrich has posted some very detailed analyses of topics very closely related to this. Fascinating stuff, I'll try to find her posts to again read and enjoy, she's pro on these topics and a great writer as well!

Sony_Fan, with all due respect, I have to disagree with your statement, maybe I just want to believe my 20ES makes better SP recordings than my MXD-D400 or my JB940 but I really think my ears tell me it is for real! :-P

Like punkrockaddict, I have taken a number of these units apart over the years and the ES20 is made like a Sherman Tank compared to my MXD-D400 or even my JB940. The power supply has multiple circuit boards for different voltages and has huge caps to filter and smooth the supply output, all digital and analog signals are isolated on separate circuit boards. There are many clear differences in the design and construction all for the purpose of producing a better recording and playback experience.

Just another MD lover's opinion! :-)

And you were right again.That was exactly the one i was about to ask to confirm.

Its a funny thing being unsure about the difference in quality.being not able to figure this out by listening closely makes it somehow being .. Uargh .. Dunno.

I would for sure be glad just to know that my ES Decks perform on a theoretically ,not in every case bearable higher level.

That's what they were Build.To be honest -> the quality of these Units is its Magic too, isn't it?

Cheers :-P

• 2 months later...

Sound replay on ES ranges is far better on a hifi system.

And ... the quality of timbre is far more superior than on QS range.

As for me, when I was about to buy a MD deck, I checked the sound (ES vs QS range) in a sony store simply with a good AKG headphone.

The gap was so obvious (5 seconds listening) that I bought the 20ES. Es range competes with good hifi stuff.

I am since very satisfied with my MDS-JA20 ES.

• 2 weeks later...

Sound replay on ES ranges is far better on a hifi system.

And ... the quality of timbre is far more superior than on QS range.

As for me, when I was about to buy a MD deck, I checked the sound (ES vs QS range) in a sony store simply with a good AKG headphone.

The gap was so obvious (5 seconds listening) that I bought the 20ES. Es range competes with good hifi stuff.

I am since very satisfied with my MDS-JA20 ES.

:blink::glare:

• 1 month later...

A little late, but c'mon... the idea that a JE480 will record better than a JA20ES is nonsense talk, lol.  The JA20ES is already Type-R capable and all the electronics in that unit are beyond the JE480.  I could see someone making a case for a Type-R recording made on a JE480 from a digital source against an older ATRAC revision ES unit--the only two being the JA50ES and JA3ES (the 3ES which was barely an ES model IMO)--but against anything else (including against the reproduction from a JA50ES or recording from an analog source)? The base-model JE unit has no chance.  Every single ES deck has analog stages, electronics, circuit paths, power supplies, etc. far better than any non-ES unit.  Even the JB/QS units only come close to the JA3ES in terms of build and analog circuitry, while they are clearly inferior to other ES decks.

Once upon a time I could have bought a JA20ES for $150 (and this is when MD was still in stride, in the early 00s).  Curse the day I passed up that deal, lol.  I mean not like I'd be using it today (haven't touched my JB920 in years); but still, always nice to have an ES component!