MZ-E10 "BLANKDISC"

Rate this topic

adaw

Hi there, I've digged up my beloved Sony MZ-E10 after 13 years of sleep.

The thing is, it can't seem to be able to read any of my MDs. Those same discs work perfectly on an other player.

The e10 remote control just says "blankdisc" , but I can hear all the mecanics running like 13 years ago (motor + lens , very sexy sound, I just love it).

I've tried to run the "test mode" described in the service manual, by pressing controls on the remote in a precise order, but I cant seem to get it right...

Any advise on how to fix my e10 or run the test mode would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you guys for your replies.

I cleaned the lens with alcohol, but it didn't help.

I also tried to contact Jim H. by email, but haven't heard back from him.

I'm confidant my MZ-E10 is not "broken", mainly because I've never carried it in my pocket, I'm sure the pcb is in good shape.

I'll keep trying the "test mode" & report back the results.

I would love to know if anyone was ever able to get into "test mode" as described the service manual.

The documented procedure is to put the player on "hold", and then, while holding the "stop" button on the device, you have to use the remote to "2x forward" , "2x backward" , "forward", "back", "forward", "back" , "folder -" , "folder +".

I tried it 100s times, I cannot activate this test mode :/

This rather risky to enter the service mode using your fat fingers ;>) on a portable unit.

At the beginning is the unit recognizing discs ? Have tried to record on a blank disk and read the track ? 

Try to find MD forums (tapehead.net, minidisc.de and japanese forums and find a solution, the Google traductor is your friend).  Also from @jonathanpotato : https://www.jonathandupre.fr/articles/17-minidisc-md/50-guide-depannage-minidisc-v2/ in french but once again Google Traductor is your friend. Jonathan can be contact directly (contact page) if needed. Sadly, we are not that much reading daily this forum and technicians are rare.

Consolation prize :

@PhilippeC, thank you for your reply (merci pour votre réponse et vos conseils!)

Yes, the unit is indeed recognising the discs, they are spinning and from time to time, the unit even displays the songs names.

I will try to contact Jonathan, but I was under the impression that he did NOT take any request for MDs repair.

Anyway, I'll check again =)

Recording doesn't work too well, Philippe. This is a player-only.

My limited experience is that players basically work or they don't. I did manage to repair an E909 but the repair had nothing to do with service mode or anything else. It was a simple matter of assembling it perfectly so there was no extra force required (of any component in the system) to function.

I'd be inclined to open it up and see if the head sled moves nicely when you turn the lead screw. If not, it needs CLEANING (not more grease) followed by just enough of exactly the right silicone grease in exactly the right place. Too much and it ends up on the MD's. The fact you can sometimes see the tracks sounds to me like a unit that isn't seeking properly.

2 hours ago, sfbp said:

Recording doesn't work too well, Philippe. This is a player-only.

My limited experience is that players basically work or they don't. I did manage to repair an E909 but the repair had nothing to do with service mode or anything else. It was a simple matter of assembling it perfectly so there was no extra force required (of any component in the system) to function.

I'd be inclined to open it up and see if the head sled moves nicely when you turn the lead screw. If not, it needs CLEANING (not more grease) followed by just enough of exactly the right silicone grease in exactly the right place. Too much and it ends up on the MD's. The fact you can sometimes see the tracks sounds to me like a unit that isn't seeking properly.

Thank you sfbp, I really appreciate your input.

So far, I've only removed the top case to clean the lens. I think you're right, I need to go a bit further and see if that sled works fine.