TDK MD | Flower Mix Limited Edition (2005)

TDK MD | Flower Mix Limited Edition

Released in 2005, this hard to find series was a limited edition, exclusive to Japanese electronics retailer Bic Camera. The design of the discs is similar to the Ho series, but somewhat more subtle. There were just 2 colors - green and yellow. Available in packs of 10 containing 5 of each color and packs of 5 containing 3 greens and 2 yellows. The discs were 80 minutes only. I consider these together with the Bit Club designs some of the most beautiful discs ever from TDK. 

DSC03343a.JPG DSC03344a.JPG

DSC03341a.JPG DSC03338a.JPG

DSC03339a.JPG DSC03340a.JPG

DSC03346a.JPG

7 minutes ago, kgallen said:

Fantastic! I guess we’ll never see an actual disc!…

I need to re-shoot some of the discs properly, but in the meantime, here is an example of some opened ones!

DSC01635.JPG

Ah, I'm sure I have some discs similar to the green one at least (I think the shutter is different). However since I don't have this limited edition set, mine must be inferior somehow! I will check...

Just now, kgallen said:

Ah, I'm sure I have some discs similar to the green one at least (I think the slider is different). However since I don't have this limited edition set, mine must be inferior somehow! I will check...

They could well be the TDK Ho series from 2003 which were also released in Europe a few years later with the same disc design, but a different shutter logo and were just called TDK Colour Series or something equally non-descript. 

Are they perhaps similar to these ones?

DSC02322b.JPG

I've got some very similar to those in your last post, @Richard. Except they're 80 minute ones and have a different shutter logo (no "HO" branding). When I first saw your pictures of the Flower Mix ones I initially thought they were the same but in different packaging. The colour patterns on the discs are quite distinct though.

Nice score!

2 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

I've got some very similar to those in your last post, @Richard. Except they're 80 minute ones and have a different shutter logo (no "HO" branding). When I first saw your pictures of the Flower Mix ones I initially thought they were the same but in different packaging. The colour patterns on the discs are quite distinct though.

Nice score!

Those must be the European versions - they are indeed the same as the Ho (which was Japan only) apart from the shutter design. All great looking discs! I'll try and do a full pictorial on the Ho's separately. 

• Richard changed the title to TDK MD | Flower Mix Limited Edition (2005)