SONY MDR-EX700 SL Review

Rate this topic

Zizone_

MDR-EX700SL

a-01.jpg

MDR-EX700SL happens to be my first ¥30,000 (300USD) range ear-canal headphones. So, I will try to compare this nice pair of headphones to MDR-EX90SL.

Specifications:

Type: Closed, Dynamic

Driver Unit: 16mm

Power Handling Capacity: 200mW (IEC)

Impedance: 16Ω(1kHz)

Sensitivity: 108dB/mW

Frequency Response: 4-28,000Hz

Cord: OFC, 0.5m; extension cord approx. 1m

Weight: approx. 7g

Plug: gold plated mini plug; extension cord plug - L shaped gold plated stereo mini plug

from ATRACLIFE.COM

Design:

a-03.jpg

beautiful...

Sound:

Having tried MDR-EX700SL on SONY NWZ-A818, I noticed that it picks up much more detail on many songs (linear PCM) compared to MDR-EX90SL. MDR-EX700SL especially has much better response on low and mid-range where high range is considered to be ok.

From many past reviews on MDR-EX90SL, many gave good score for its clarity yet weak on bass. MDR-EX700SL fixed this issue; it has very good bass yet not disturbing mid and high ranges. The sounds are even better separated and enhacement of bass does not distort other ranges as I mentioned before.

One down side that I noticed is that since it tends to pick up even minor detail, it seems to be produce bit more hiss on SONY NWZ-A818; probably, this will be better if the player has better SNR (Please look at edited comment below).

Sound section Edit: 2007/10/23 (YYYY/MM/DD)

I just realized the hiss I mentioned is from the NWZ-A818 not necessarily from the MDR-EX700. Because when I use the headphone on my VAIO TX, I don't notice hiss anymore. So, I would like to say, MDR-EX700 picks up hiss on NWZ-A818 more than MDR-EX90 but the headphone itself does not generate hiss; the hiss is dependent on the player not the headphone.

Just wanted to note that the sound does not leak with MDR-EX700, which was a problem for MDR-EX90.

Sound section Edit: 2007/10/25 (YYYY/MM/DD)

I had a chance to use MDR-EX700 in a bus, and realized it does very good job in isolating noise, although it is not good as active noise-canceling. The sound level on my NWZ-A818 was 7 in a bus, which was sufficient to enjoy music with hearing lots of detail.

Comfort:

I'd say, it is definitely more confortable than MDR-EX90SL and it fits perfectly. You will have to choose right ear-piece ranges: S, SS, MS, MM, ML, L, and LL.

1317650348_4f9c0e4c84_o.jpg

One down side of having SL version is the extension cord, which is very useful if you use remote e.g. MD player, can add little bit of weight on your left ear. This is not a huge problem, but I wish SONY provided extension cord clip. I have to say that I like the extension cord built quality though and the cord itself too.

spec_cont_02_01img.jpg

As for now, I only have used for a day and I will need to try more to find things out. Hopefully, this helps potential buyers from choosing MDR-EX700SL.

Comfort section Edit: 2007/10/23 (YYYY/MM/DD)

As I mentioned on sound section, MDR-EX700 creates tight seal, which was a problem for MDR-EX90.

I also just wanted to stress that the MDR-EX700 is very confortable.

Bottom line:

The headphone that covers low, mid and high in very effective manner with VERY good separation between ranges.

Note:

Most pictures are taken from jp.sonystyle.com and atraclife.com

Sound and Comfort section have been edited on 2007/10/23 (YYYY/MM/DD).

Sound section has been edited on 2007/10/25 (YYYY/MM/DD).

Edited by Zizone

Nice review Zizone. I think this is Sony's first really high-end canalphone isn't it? I saw very high prices at over $300 which is really expensive.

It's difficult to see from the photos how they fit in the ear. They kind of look bent out at an angle! Do they isolate fairly well, or is there a lot of sound leakage? What volume are you using with them - higher than with the NC022 headphones or EX90?

For the high price they're selling at, I would expect them to be a huge improvement over the very decent EX90s since they cost almost 4 times as much. I'm surprised you're hearing much hiss though because the sensitivity rating is not that high at 108dB/mW. I don't get any hiss with my Denon AH-C700 and they're rated at 104dB/mW. Does the hiss bother you much?

I have to say that although I love my Denons to pieces, I also love the Sony headphone sound too, and if these had been available before I'd bought the Denons, I would most probably have bought the Sonys.

Still, I only have one pair of headphones now so it wouldn't hurt to have another pair :lol:

When you've listened to them for a little longer - can you say more about the sound? Are the vocals clear and close. or far away? I look forward to hearing more.

Edited by juli

Nice review Zizone. I think this is Sony's first really high-end canalphone isn't it? I saw very high prices at over $300 which is really expensive.

It's difficult to see from the photos how they fit in the ear. They kind of look bent out at an angle! Do they isolate fairly well, or is there a lot of sound leakage? What volume are you using with them - higher than with the NC022 headphones or EX90?

For the high price they're selling at, I would expect them to be a huge improvement over the very decent EX90s since they cost almost 4 times as much. I'm surprised you're hearing much hiss though because the sensitivity rating is not that high at 108dB/mW. I don't get any hiss with my Denon AH-C700 and they're rated at 104dB/mW. Does the hiss bother you much?

I have to say that although I love my Denons to pieces, I also love the Sony headphone sound too, and if these had been available before I'd bought the Denons, I would most probably have bought the Sonys.

Still, I only have one pair of headphones now so it wouldn't hurt to have another pair :lol:

When you've listened to them for a little longer - can you say more about the sound? Are the vocals clear and close. or far away? I look forward to hearing more.

Hi Juli,

This is how it fits:

sony2_02.gif

from watch.impress.co.jp

Actually, this isn't the Sony first high end headphones, but it is their first high end ear-canal headphones. Anyways, it is true that I do hear some hiss; when the song isn't playing it is noticeable. But, to be honest, without considering the price between MDR-EX90 and MDR-EX700, I prefer MDR-EX700 sound quality because of it's better separation and ability to produce much more fine detail without loss due to other sounds, such as bass. There is one song called, 悲劇ã?¯ç›®è“‹ã‚’下ã‚?ã?—ã?Ÿå„ªã?—ã??鬱 by DIR EN GREY, and I noticed a very light chorus which I did not know it existed until I used MDR-EX700! However, I haven't try other high-end headphones and I believe others will pick up at this price range. I am quite satisfied with the investment, and since I listen mostly rock, the hiss is not much of a problem, though it can be sometimes when the music is soft side of rock. But I can tell you that the hiss is not as bad as NW-S700series with MDR-NC022. I believe this would be ideal headphone if the price were lower. But, if you are willing to buy new set, definitely give this a try along with trying out other headphones prior to purchase, since the price is high.

But, if you have a nice headphone and satisfied with its sound quality, I say stick with it; unless you like MDR-EX700's unique design and willing to buy new headphone for other reasons.

If you ask me to rate this product, I would give 8/10. But design and comfort is certainly 10/10.

By the way, when I wear MDR-EX700, people tell me I am stylish. :D

Edited by Zizone

oh, and it fits tightly and seems to block noise better than MDR-EX90. You can think of it as... what was that headphone prior to MDR-EX90? one that has 9mm... I forgot the name but it feels like that one.

MDR-EX71?

I really loved those. But nowadays i am used to a bit more detailed iem's.

I now have V-moda vibes and they are without a doubt the best phones i've ever owned.

I also own a pair of Futuresonics FS-1 but they have less soundstage and a bit less detail I think.

I'm really curious about thes sony phones because i'm not that impressed with sony phones anymore.

Greetz

Thanks for the nice review. The MDR EX 90 leak a lot of sound. Given the fact that the SL700 are an in ear design I would reckon that this

issue is eliminated, correct? I have seen the 700sl for 249 USD on ebay. Given the strong Euro the 700sl cost 50% of the triple.fis.

ceres

Interesting impressions Zizone, I'm looking forward to a more indepth comparison of SQ and comfort.

Hi Juli, do you happen to be Soozieq on head-fi. Real funthread about the Denons, love the UO-part ;-)

LOL yes!!! And I'm julikat somewhere else but can't remember where. . . :blink:

LOL yes!!! And I'm julikat somewhere else but can't remember where. . . :blink:

Thought so.

You are doing a very thorough job there keeping the thread alive and informative, the links are excellent, you keep the tempers in check, add humor and damn, I just asked Bluetin for a price for the Denons.

But sorry, back to the sonys....

Thanks for the nice review. The MDR EX 90 leak a lot of sound. Given the fact that the SL700 are an in ear design I would reckon that this

issue is eliminated, correct? I have seen the 700sl for 249 USD on ebay. Given the strong Euro the 700sl cost 50% of the triple.fis.

ceres

Yes, I can assure you that MDR-EX700 does not leak sound, which was the problem for MDR-EX90, and creates very tight seal that helps to prevent sound leak and noise-isolation from surrouding. In fact, I am very very pleased with MDR-EX700's clear bass. The sound does not seem colored, to me it is natural. But, MDR-EX90 seems a tiny bit more clear at high ranges. I recommend MDR-EX90 over MDR-EX700 if you were to listen classical music. Anyways, my only complain would be this minor hiss I am hearing from NWZ-A818, which can get annoying with classical songs...

Edited by Zizone

I am sorry if I have miss-led anyone. I just realized the hiss was from the NWZ-A818. When I use MDR-EX700 on my laptop, VAIO TX, I don't get hiss anymore.

So, I would like to say, MDR-EX700 picks up hiss on NWZ-A818 more than MDR-EX90 but the headphone itself does not generate hiss; the hiss is dependent on the player not the headphone.

awesome review zizone! great to see a quality review coming out so quickly after the release of the EX700s.

the only downside overall is probably the price. the maximum i want to spend is the price for EX90s. but im sure that EX700s do worth that price. =)

Thanks. I will continue to edit as I continue to test the MDR-EX700. :)

Yes, the price is high, but after trying it on my laptop without hiss, it sounds great.

Edited by Zizone

Amazon (yes, i'm sad i know :sad: )

Ha ha ha ha!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thought so.

You are doing a very thorough job there keeping the thread alive and informative, the links are excellent, you keep the tempers in check, add humor and damn, I just asked Bluetin for a price for the Denons.

Thank you Dura. I've noticed that some Head-Fi threads can turn a bit too 'lively' and as mine was just a simple comparison thread, I was keen to keep it that way. But that was a bit naive I think. Thankfully, the 'tempers' only lasted for a page and then it was OK again.

As for the links, someone else suggested it, and I have to admit it was a very good idea. Saves having to sort through pages of waffle trying to find what's important - the sound! I'm quite surprised myself that the thread took off, as the Denons are almost unknown there, well, actually everywhere from what I've seen!

I just asked Bluetin for a price for the Denons.

Seriously?? Well, I hope you like them - if not, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to sell them on Head-Fi. I added some more links today as someone else had bought the C551's which are cheaper and supposedly almost as good - and smaller too. Makes me want to buy them for backup.

The sound is just beautiful with my 808. I love the 808 anyway, but I was one of those who felt it was too 'sharp' after the 706. So to find a headphone that softened the edge while still keeping all the clarity was like finding gold!! The new Sony headphones sound great too going by Zizone's review, but they're a lot of money. I got the Denons for half the Sony price, although to be fair, the price for them in the UK was the equivalent of the Sony's anyway, but I didn't buy them from the UK.

Maybe the Sony price might come down, although I didn't notice the EX90's reduce in price at all at Amazon.

I´d like Sony to improve hiss and white noise behavior with high end iems in the next iteration of walkman players.

It´s not a matter of snr as nwx a8xx rate around 94db and the industry´s best is 95-96. It´s rather the core sound engine that is not tuned to better deal with low impedance, high sensitivity iems. (it´s a lot better in nwa than last year´s s series) Now that Sony has some high end iems out I expect advances. That´s also a reason why I am holding out to buy a new dap.

I´d like Sony to improve hiss and white noise behavior with high end iems in the next iteration of walkman players.

It´s not a matter of snr as nwx a8xx rate around 94db and the industry´s best is 95-96. It´s rather the core sound engine that is not tuned to better deal with low impedance, high sensitivity iems. (it´s a lot better in nwa than last year´s s series) Now that Sony has some high end iems out I expect advances. That´s also a reason why I am holding out to buy a new dap.

Yes, this year's NWZ-A and NW-A is much better than last year's NW-S. So, they are improving but I'd love to see major reduction in white noise. So, I am 100% with you on this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I figure this would be a good place to add my 2cents.

I also got my pair of ex700 for a week. I mainly listened to jazz music on them. I also own a pair of er-6i and er-4s, also ex90.

The ex700 better isolates environmental sounds compared with the old ex90. It's not as good as ER series. The base on the former is powerful, but restrained, compared with ex90. The former Sony gives a base that's takes more like an old wood trunk, while the new one gives a more pumpy, controlled base.

In terms of mid and high tone areas, the sony still lag behind the er-4s, IMO. However, the ex700 is much easier to drive, and wear, a big plus when going mobile.

The case that came with ex700 kind of sucks. It is very difficult to wrap the cables around it and most of the time I end up just munching the cords and put the headphone in my pocket.

Overall, ex700 is a good pair of headphones. I am not sure if it's better bang for buck in terms of sound quality compared with the Shure guys, or UE guys. But for me, at the end, I am biased on Sony products... but I would not recommend this for everyone. It's just too expensive to some extend.

I figure this would be a good place to add my 2cents.

I also got my pair of ex700 for a week. I mainly listened to jazz music on them. I also own a pair of er-6i and er-4s, also ex90.

The ex700 better isolates environmental sounds compared with the old ex90. It's not as good as ER series. The base on the former is powerful, but restrained, compared with ex90. The former Sony gives a base that's takes more like an old wood trunk, while the new one gives a more pumpy, controlled base.

In terms of mid and high tone areas, the sony still lag behind the er-4s, IMO. However, the ex700 is much easier to drive, and wear, a big plus when going mobile.

The case that came with ex700 kind of sucks. It is very difficult to wrap the cables around it and most of the time I end up just munching the cords and put the headphone in my pocket.

Overall, ex700 is a good pair of headphones. I am not sure if it's better bang for buck in terms of sound quality compared with the Shure guys, or UE guys. But for me, at the end, I am biased on Sony products... but I would not recommend this for everyone. It's just too expensive to some extend.

of course, we would need some more reviews and comparisons but from what I have gathered so far these new Sony phones are nothing special.

do they offer considerably more detail, clarity and resolution than mdr ex90?

of course, we would need some more reviews and comparisons but from what I have gathered so far these new Sony phones are nothing special.

do they offer considerably more detail, clarity and resolution than mdr ex90?

MDR-EX90 seems to be more clear in high-range but MDR-EX700 sounds more clear in low and mid-range and MDR-EX700 does add more detail which is pretty noticeable depending on songs.

• 2 weeks later...

I would add the ex700 seems to have more "space" for higher volume. It can clearly be pushed at higher ranges of power so that it could make a "larger" space for the music.

Separately, I find the make of the earphone is of 3-rd tier. Upon two weeks of usage I begin to see significant signs of wear. The outer seal or coating, just behind the big drum, went off. This should not affect audio quality but I am amazed by the design folks at Sony, if I pay 200+ for a set of earphones I expect them to last... well... more than two weeks.