MiniDisc and Airport Security

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Yep. Put it along with the cellphone on those side trays, otherwise it'll prolly sund the alarm checkpoint. There's a user here that was passing it with the MD on the hand and the security guy wanted to see what it was, coz it could be a damn bomb :wink: ! so he just stood there explaining the guy that it was a digital music equipment, lol. ROLF

i'm finking that the airport scanners use x-rays (or sum sort of high frequency emr to check your luggage...) and i don't think that this can hav an adverse effect on the data on your MD since it's using MO technology, meaning it needs both heat and a strong magnet to alter or erase any data on those discs...those scanners don't induce heat or magnetism on those discs (any one correct me if i'm wrong) soo i would think that ur music would be safe... tongue.gif

There's a user here that was passing it with the MD on the hand and the security guy wanted to see what it was, coz it could be a damn bomb :wink: ! so he just stood there explaining the guy that it was a digital music equipment, lol. ROLF

Yeah, and once I showed him, he thought it was pretty cool (and it was only a Sony MZ-E3)! biggrin.gif I had a few MDs on me that have passed thru a number of X-rays over the years, and I still listen to them with no trouble. You're safe...or at least your MDs are. :?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

:angry::angry: Hi yes I have had problems with the scanners at airport security.My NW-HD1 loses all of it's data after being x-rayed.Amazingly sometimes the data can re-appear on it's own.Which is not much use when you are packing up to return home! Do you have any ideas how to overcome this problem as the device has to go through the security x-ray machine.I am seriously considering getting rid of my NW-HD1 and replacing it with an Apple i-pod to see if that is any better..Thanks.Keith.

:angry::angry: Hi yes I have had problems with the scanners at airport security.My NW-HD1 loses all of it's data after being x-rayed.Amazingly sometimes the data can re-appear on it's own.Which is not much use when you are packing up to return home! Do you have any ideas how to overcome this problem as the device has to go through the security x-ray machine.I am seriously considering getting rid of my NW-HD1 and replacing it with an Apple i-pod to see if that is any better..Thanks.Keith.

There must be some problem with your HD1 ..As both Apple & Sony use Toshiba Hard Disk .