Sony Insider Forums

Sony MDS-E10 defeats SCMS

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, bluecrab said:

IIRC, the E!0 actually strips SCMS, not just ignores it....

As my trial above shows, it ignores SCMS in the input SPDIF and sets it on the recorded track per the Copy Bit menu setting.

What do you mean by ‘strip’ compared to ignore (in the context of the E10)? I realise other machines may ignore on the input and ‘strip’ for the output because they don’t have a means to allow the user to configure them (effectively a ‘copy bit killer’).

If I get time I’ll try similar on my E12 but it’s probably the same as the E10.

5 hours ago, kgallen said:

As my trial above shows, it ignores SCMS in the input SPDIF and sets it on the recorded track per the Copy Bit menu setting.

What do you mean by ‘strip’ compared to ignore (in the context of the E10)? I realise other machines may ignore on the input and ‘strip’ for the output because they don’t have a means to allow the user to configure them (effectively a ‘copy bit killer’).

If I get time I’ll try similar on my E12 but it’s probably the same as the E10.

What I mean is that if I begin with a CD and copy that CD to MD on the E10, then the resulting and subsequent MD and any copies made from it are SCMS-free. I I may be able to test today. However, it seems that the E10, on output, no matter the setting, enforces SCMS if it's already on an MD.  All copying S/PDIF.

6 hours ago, BearBoy said:

Thanks Bluecrab. 

Quick question: does your MDS-E10 display “MDS-E10 PRO” on the screen when you power it on?

Hadn't thought to notice that. It certainly does. Perhaps a non-Pro version wouldn't do that? I could enquire of a few other E-series owners if that would help.

The short vid by kgallen shows exactly what needs to be done. Earlier today, I was able to copy an MD that had had SCMS removed (likely on the E10) from a JB940 to a CD-RW on a Pioneer CD-R standalone that will not permit copying from an MD with SCMS. That would indicate that SCMS is not propagated via the E10 once the Copy Bit is set to Permit. However, if an MD already contains SCMS, then the op is a no-go. What all this means to me, mainly, is that I sold my separate SCMS killer a bit too soon. If my E10 goes feet-up on me, that means big trouble for digital copying. I bought the E10 at least 3+ years ago from a pro musician in Boston who'd gone computer. There was a small mechanical problem that he fixed on the spot. Since then, it's needed a new belt and the power button is now stuck in the On position. My not being sfbp or kgallen, I resolved the latter issue using a small power strip. You do what you can!

14 hours ago, BearBoy said:

Thanks for confirming re the "PRO" thing Bluecrab. The poster on TH hasn't reported back yet but it will be interesting to hear how they've got on.

You're welcome. I clicked on your link to TH and found I had a login there. I thought that the entire E-series models were all considered "pro," but precisely what that means in the Sony world...who knows? My E10 is connected to an HHB Burn IT  CD recorder, also noted as "pro" by HHB, also can control SCMS.