Rh10 - Some Impressions From Hannover

Rate this topic

indeego

I just want to let you know, that I´ve been to cebit, hannover, and could touch the RH10 wink.gif - the unit is made of plastic - but the level of quality is very high (NH1 still feels better for me wink.gif - I think I´ll keep it)

colors for germany are black and silver, no mention of the other units like RH910 ... even not if they are going to be sold here, but there are too much weird information from sony, so I doubt it.

I took some pictures, you will find them here (warning: High-Res!):

RH10 silver

RH10 black

side: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

(look at these fingerprints blink.gif ) - btw: no "lineOUT-symbol"

Sony gave us a bigger display and better controls (in comparision to the NH1) and took away the robust magnesium-body and the LineOUT .. ok, the had to reduce the costs, but I dont think I´ll get this unit very soon .. thats really quiet disappointing as long as there are no decks to connect to my hifi sleep.gif

minidisc goes mp3-player-charme - thats not really what I want sad.gif

the RH10 looks more like a mp3-player with extended features dry.gif

so, did you happen to find out any of the wuestions that were asked in any of the minidisc forums not previously answered? happy.gif just wondering... smile.gif

well, I tried hard, but the guy from sony couldnt tell much really new things:

- sonicStage will remain windows-only

- sonicStage 3.0 german expected for download in may/june

- absolutly no information on other units than RH10

- playback: mp3 with vbr / recording: only 128 kbit-MP3

- lineOUT - he told me: yes - I doubt it

- no info on Hi-MD decks

when I asked for the battery-spezifications, he showed me my forum and mindisc.org .. rolleyes.gif

I guess he wasnt well informed by sony, the RH10 had only limited functions and there was now way to get a manual ..

btw: found another new (offical) RH10-picture - again with lineOUT symbol .. will there be different versions for europe and japan cool.gif

RH10-picture - again with lineOUT symbol .. will there be different versions for europe and japan cool.gif

"Line Out" is just a menu option that flattens the EQ and raises the volume to 27-28. There's nothing special about it other than that. It doesn't even sound like a line level, at least compared to a standard CD player, output is too low. I wouldn't worry too much about it, it seems like a convenience option.

"Line Out" is just a menu option that flattens the EQ and raises the volume to 27-28.

no, there is a distinct difference between headphoneOUT @ level 27-30 and lineOUT; sure, its no eqivalent to a deck-lineOUT, but more convenient than nothing or just a headphoneOUT

Line-Out-Mode means

a. EQ off,

b. AVLS off (Volume limit)

c. Soundeffects off ( Virtual Surround and other bad sounding stuff)

d. Bass boost off

e. Level up. Not as high as true line out because of the lower supply voltage, but better than normal headphone levels.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the RH10 is looking more and more like a total piece of shite

Don't be put off by the pics, first, I have been to the CeBit myself and the rigs on display there are touched and handled by a few hundred people daily.

After one week, most of these look like they have been used for months.

However, using chrome and glossy surfaces wasn't a really good idea, as it shows every fingerprint.

Happy polishing... tongue.gif

Line-Out-Mode means

a. EQ off,

b. AVLS off (Volume limit)

c. Soundeffects off ( Virtual Surround and other bad sounding stuff)

d. Bass boost off

e. Level up. Not as high as true line out because of the lower supply voltage, but better than normal headphone levels.

And if my car's stereo is to be believed, for models with HD Digital Amp, it seems to bypass the Digital Amp circuitry. I realize that car's stereo system isn't the best way to test this, but at least on an informal level, this seems to hold case several times I've tried this (checking line-out vs. normal HD out with volume at 27-30, no EQ/VSUR).

Whether or not it actually bypasses the HD AMP? Got me.

so heres the big question... does the rh10 have a line out or not... it seems that everyoen is discussing what it is but for some of us who acutally want a line out i think it may be the determining factor for buying the rh10. me for example smile.gif so the question now is wether this rh10 is the equivalent of the nh900 plus the ne display... to me it seemed liek hte nh900 was a great piece but the ony thing the rh10 has is mp3 and a display... is it so ie, is it the nh900 plus these added features or did they take away the lineout or can you still change the feature in the soft menu for a line out