Hi-md Disks In Europe

Rate this topic

robin726

Well, I am in Ireland and considering mail-ordering one of those nice new orange Hi-MD recorders. I went down to Dixon's just to see if they stocked Hi-MD disks and oddly they did. It took quite a while for the challenged person at cash to figure out how to get a price, until I softly suggested she should scan the barcode on the disc package. It's this sort of acute facility with the vagaries of modern life that make me a functioning human being. Unlike those hired to work at Dixons. But I digress.

I was kind of hoping they would have them mispriced as normal blanks. In which case I would buy a case and share them out with the good people here. rolleyes.gif

The reality though is a lot more Irish. Even the cash technician biggrin.gif was stunned to see that they wanted €9.99 per disk.

So, anyone know where I can get them cheaper? Somewhere that will do mailorder with Ireland without breaking the bank for shipping? Likely a box of 5 disks is all I need, because this will be more for temporary storage of recordings than permanent storage of tunes for listening.

Edited by robin726

Well, I am in Ireland and considering mail-ordering one of those nice new orange Hi-MD recorders. I went down to Dixon's just to see if they stocked Hi-MD disks and oddly they did. It took quite a while for the challenged person at cash to figure out how to get a price, until I softly suggested she should scan the barcode on the disc package. It's this sort of acute facility with the vagaries of modern life that make me a functioning human being. Unlike those hired to work at Dixons. But I digress.

I was kind of hoping they would have them mispriced as normal blanks. In which case I would buy a case and share them out with the good people here.  rolleyes.gif

The reality though is a lot more Irish. Even the cash technician biggrin.gif was stunned to see that they wanted €9.99 per disk.

So, anyone know where I can get them cheaper? Somewhere that will do mailorder with Ireland without breaking the bank for shipping? Likely a box of 5  disks is all I need, because this will be more for temporary storage of recordings than permanent storage of tunes for listening.

Try ebay (they are about £5 on there, but check delivery), and does amazon.co.uk deliver in ireland?

I was kind of hoping they would have them mispriced as normal blanks. In which case I would buy a case and share them out with the good people here.  rolleyes.gif

So, anyone know where I can get them cheaper? Somewhere that will do mailorder with Ireland without breaking the bank for shipping? Likely a box of 5  disks is all I need, because this will be more for temporary storage of recordings than permanent storage of tunes for listening.

Try here for some of the cheapest UK prices I've seen. Don't know how much the delivery will be, unfortunately.

I was in Currys today asking if they had and. The assistand was most adamant that they sold 10 Hi-MD blanks for £15. Said it was a special price. I asked severl times and he was most insistant.

Non in stock but I'll keep checking.

I would think it those Sony rip off "hi-md compatable" 80 they sell but in pacs of 3 I can't see how they get 10. Mayby it was a special pack of 10.

I'll report back if they are Hi-mds and they come back in stock. Yo'll know cos I intend to buy the lot and stick what I don't need up on e-bay smile.gif.

Everso.

I was in Currys today asking if they had and. The assistand was most adamant that they sold 10 Hi-MD blanks for £15.

Nice price if you can get it! Do keep us in mind. biggrin.gif

Meantime my problems were solved because the vendor I was buying the unit from offers disks at $8 per at time of purchase... find them on EBay. This is a decent price, especially as they don' t seem to ask any more shipping.

So I just bought an orange RH10 with 10GB of storage. More soon.

Wow, spending hard-earned money is so much fun!

Beware! I think you will find that they are referring to these 3-Pack HiMD compatible minidiscs 13.5hrs/305MB per disk when recorded with HiMD.

Curry's "£15" minidiscs

They are just ordinary 80 min minidiscs with fancy packaging at twice the price of standard minidiscs. sad.gif

Edited by MusicBringer

Beware! I think you will find that they are referring to these 3-Pack HiMD compatible minidiscs 13.5hrs/305MB per disk when recorded with HiMD.

That's what I said I was expecting. Can't work out how they got 10 though. Perhaps it's a "special" 10 pack that Sony put together for them.

I'm not expecting them to be propper HI-MD 1 gig blanks at that price. But you know - I never expected to get an MZ-NH1 from Amazon at £69 either smile.gif.

I'll report back if they ever come into stock.

Everso.

Edited by everso