Sonicstage Doesn't Recognize Md-unit

Rate this topic

Breadfan

Hello everybody,

first of all: Congratulations to this forum. Seems to be the only useful MD-Forum on web . So here is my first post. Although I read these board for hours and tried a lot, I haven't found an answer yet:

When I plug my MD-Unit (Sony MZ-NH 700), I can select it in my WindowsExplorer, so I'm sure, that the connection is OK. If I start sonic stage (version 3.1, downloaded from the oficial link I found in this board), the Unit isn't recognized. I tried to re-install stage, following the introductions of this board (http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=8071) but it doesn't work.

When I got the Player, it worked for a few months. So I was very suprised that it doesn't work anymore form one day to another...

Would be very nice, if you helped me 'cause I have no ideas anymore...

Ahh... last but not least:

I've an Athlon 1400, 768 ram

Windows2k, Service Pack 4

SonicStage 3.1

Hope, you can help me and sorry for my bad englisch wink.gif

Greets

Breadfan

Hello everybody,

first of all: Congratulations to this forum. Seems to be the only useful MD-Forum on web . So here is my first post. Although I read these board for hours and tried a lot, I haven't found an answer yet:

When I plug my MD-Unit (Sony MZ-NH 700), I can select it in my WindowsExplorer, so I'm sure, that the connection is OK. If I start sonic stage (version 3.1, downloaded from the oficial link I found in this board), the Unit isn't recognized. I tried to re-install stage, following the introductions of this board (http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=8071) but it doesn't work.

When I got the Player, it worked for a few months. So I was very suprised that it doesn't work anymore form one day to another...

Would be very nice, if you helped me 'cause I have no ideas anymore...

Ahh... last but not least:

I've an Athlon 1400, 768 ram

Windows2k, Service Pack 4

SonicStage 3.1

Hope, you can help me and sorry for my bad englisch wink.gif

Greets

Breadfan

Welcome to MDCF!

Try the following steps:

1) Delete/Remove Hi-MD device within the Device Manager

2) Unplug/Remove any USB devices currently connected to your system

3) Reboot your system and launch SonicStage 3.1

4) Connect your Hi-MD device to your system via USB

5) Your O/S system should recognize and install the Hi-MD driver accordingly.

6) At this point, SonicStage 3.1 should detect your Hi-MD device.

Hi thanks for the fast reply, but:

In my device-manager there is no entry for the MD-Device. Nevertheless few minutes ago sonic stage recognized my MD-player for several minutes... several minutes. Now these minutes are gone and nothing happens again.

Greets

Just before I read your ideas, i had the same. I installed ss2.0 form my install-disc on my server an it works. Its a PentiumII an so I'm really angry because it's that slow but it works. That's the proof that ss is the biggest shit I ever saw. On the server it's the same (!) config (OS etc.) as on the client and so I was quite suprised. The other ideas had are unfortunatly no solution sad.gif

Has anyone further ideas?

Just before I read your ideas, i had the same. I installed ss2.0 form my install-disc on my server and it works.

try to upgrade to SS3.1 on the server pc...just to see wether it's the 3.x version that is causing the problems

try to upgrade to SS3.1 on the server pc...just to see wether it's the 3.x version that is causing the problems

Yes, I'll try, but before I do, I will download soe stuff to my MD so I've music the next days wink.gif

One question concerning the update:

Do I only have to run the installer or is there sth to take care of?

Edited by Breadfan

Yes, I'll try, but before I do, I will download some stuff to my MD so I've got music the next days wink.gif

good idea biggrin.gif

One question concerning the update:

Do I only have to run the installer or is there sth to take care of?

if you also build a music library, while loading music to your MD (i.e. keep the music you tranfer also in playlists/albums on the pc to be played in and managed through SS) you could back this up usig the SS-library backup tool...but since you own all cd's and it isn't the pc you intend to use, it could take less effort to just forget about this and re-import the cd's (on the right pc eventually) so just forget about this paragraph! laugh.gif

you could run the SS3.1 upgrade link in the right language found here

or you could try the MDCF offline installer (though remember it's only a beta version and some problems have been reported)

and if you really want to be sure... do a clean install as described here

I upgraded from 2.0 to 2.3 to 3.0 to 3.1 using the online updaters (and without ever backing up my library, which isn't a good example sleep.gif ) and it all worked as a charm... so, I would give the online updater version a try without any preparations and if it goes wrong, you can always perform a clean install as described...

hope it works out... and that it will eventually work on your own pc too

good luck!

Edited by The Low Volta

I tried another qay wink.gif I installed the older version on the client too and it works, but now I'm not able to download the files anymore because although they are mp3's I get a "the format isn't supported" message :anger:

Any ideas? I'm not willingly to convert them all into wave or sth like that because I've no HDD-space at all sad.gif

Edited by Breadfan

Im getting exactly the same problem as Breadfan.

I have tried on my laptop and my desktop computer but sonicstage v3.1 wont recognise my nh700 !!!!!!

Both comps see as an external drive which proves the usb cable is fine even though i tested another. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling - no luck. I bought the hi-md player for record audio for film and exporting back to my pc, wish i saved a bit more money and bought a dat recorder or something more expensive.

any other ideas would be appreciated.....

mad.gif

Welcome.. Did you uninstall via the directions in the FAQ? Will you please post your system specs according to the rules? smile.gif

Re: Breadfan - installing old version of Sonicstage only makes the problem worse. Uninstall via the directions in the faq, post your system specs according to the rules and get back to us.

Hi again,

yes i uninstalled exactly by the directions in the FAQ sad.gif

before installing sonicstage 3.1 i had installed v2.0 that came with the MD on both comps, so i thought maybe that was the reason - i reverted back to a ghost image of my computer (desktop when i orginally installed it) and still had no joy

below are my system specs:

thanks.......

sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

DESKTOP COMPUTER SPECS:

windows xp pro (5.01.2600 SP2)

directX 9.0c

intel p4 HT - 3.00Ghz

Asus p4p800-e M/b

1Gb ram

Nvidia Geforce FX5900 (Graphics Card)

M-audio FireWire 410 (external soundcard)

80gb drive (serial)

80gb drive

250gb drive

120gb drive external usb 2.0

NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET

LAPTOP SPECS:

windows xp pro (5.01.2600 SP2)

directX 9.0c

intel celeron - 2.60Ghz

Sony Q-project M/b

768Mb ram

Radeon IGP 345M (Graphics Card)

SoundMAX digital audio

CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET

40Gb drive

Ok,

Just found a working solution last night messing around which is a pain in the arse but it has definatley worked on both my laptop and desktop.

Firstly I uninstalled everything to do with sonicstage on my comps previously and followed the FAQ directions for a clean uninstall here

Then I downloaded the german version of sonicstage v3003 (i found this in the forum - I couldn't find an english version)

download here:

http://www.sony.de/content/attachment/SONIC_Stage_3003.zip

This will fully install everything, then reboot your comp or LOGOFF which will do the same thing.

Next, install the SonicStage v3.1 full installer found in the download section in this forum here:

http://forums.minidisc.org/downloads/details.php?file=13

Again, reboot your comp or LOGOFF

Boot up SonicStage v3.1 - plug your MD in wait a few secs and click on transfer and your MD should be recognised.

Now i can transfer recorded sessions to my comp and transfer to Wav which is the only reason my i bought the MD!

Obviously there is a component within the German version that is not present in the latest v3.1 version that matters to some systems - i hope this works for everyone who has the same problem so please post here to let everyone know if this solution works for you.....

wink.gif

Edited by meandaddy

Just found a working solution last night

glad to hear things have worked out, enjoy your MD!

Obviously there is a component within the German version that is not present in the latest v3.1 version that matters to some systems - i hope this works for everyone who has the same problem

this could be interesting for the ppl who know something about software (like the one that created the MDCF-standalone-installer perhaps) to compare the German version to others versions to find the difference...and perhaps develop a reparation plugin or something... (and get paid big bucks by Sony for repairing their buggy software laugh.gif ...never gonna happen though sad.gif )

hope other ppl will be helped by your solution

Hi all,

Had same problems as many others re full installer package and subsequently not recognising my MZ-NH900. Tried the suggested fixes and finally got it to work by uninstalling everything (Sony) as suggested and reinstalling from internet but had to do it twice - the first time the install went through the whole procedure perfectly and said that SS was installed successfully - but it was nowhere on my system! Not even any shortcuts either!

Immediately reinstalling it worked fine though I've ended up with Connect which I didn't want, and it's a US version (I'm in the UK). Doesn't really matter though as I won't be using it.

Many thanks to all those who work to find these fixes for us mere mortals, I wish there was somewhere we could *politely* (ahem) voice our concerns to Sony as customers with regards to their software and certain 'strategies'. I can't help but think that if Apple's iTunes and iPod were as difficult to work with (I assume they aren't, have no personal experience) then they would not have as great a market share as they do today.

cheers.gif

I have a very similar problem or perhaps the same problem.

After SS 3.1 loads up, it intermitently recognize my Hi MD NH1.

The only thing I try so far is plug and unplug USB cable on a different USB port.

It can then read my MD and its song content, but that is on a SP mode (the old 74 min. MD)

Once I inserted my Hi MD media inside, it says:

"Device/Media not Connected."

Now, I have use SS 2.1 and it works fine. Is that lengthy solution w/ the german ver. the only way?

As I only need SS to edit / label my song list. So can I just delete SS 3.1 and install SS 2.1 instead?

I don't use SS for recording. I use my DVD sterero player thru an optical cable for MD recording. I don't have MP3, never do, I don't use CD-R.

Clearly this SS 3.1 is a piece of sh*t. Correction a piece of @#!@&*%^ sh*t.

Why would installing SS 2.1 makes it worse? Let me know before I preceed.

Ok,

Just found a working solution last night messing around which is a pain in the arse but it has definatley worked on both my laptop and desktop.

Firstly I uninstalled everything to do with sonicstage on my comps previously and followed the FAQ directions for a clean uninstall here

Then I downloaded the german version of sonicstage v3003 (i found this in the forum - I couldn't find an english version)

download here:

This will fully install everything, then reboot your comp or LOGOFF which will do the same thing.

Next, install the SonicStage v3.1 full installer found in the download section in this forum here:

Boot up SonicStage v3.1 - plug your MD in wait a few secs and click on transfer and your MD should be recognised.

Now i can transfer recorded sessions to my comp and transfer to Wav which is the only reason my i bought the MD!

Obviously there is a component within the German version that is not present in the latest v3.1 version that matters to some systems - i hope this works for everyone who has the same problem so please post here to let everyone know if this solution works for you.....

wink.gif

YES !! definetely this workaround does recognize my NH1 when i plug it in. Its a bit painful way to install SS 3.1 but hey.. the fruits of ur labour are sweet.. sleep.gif

I also have exactly same problem with my NH1.

I made an intresting finding what could cause the problem:

When I disconnect and then reconnect my NH1, a new drive appears to sonicstage. For example: if the NH1 was E:\ and I plug the unit again, unit appears with new letter F:\ etc.

I record about 25 discs and then the drive was z:\ (or x:\ or whatever?). Then I plugged my unit once more and sonicstage did not recognize my unit anymore. I tried everything, but nothing helped.

Next I'll try that MDCF install over german install thing... Let's see what will happen.

(sorry, my english)

I finally did it! I installed sonicstage once more (sony webinstaller, without german installation).

I did exact same procedure (http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=8071), but I removed sony corporation folder in c:\documents and settings\"USER"\application data\Sony Corporation.

I also removed usb controllers in device manager before sonicstage install.

Now sonicstage recognize my NH1. victory.gif

i have the same problem with my rh10 but after i installed the older version that was in the package i find out that the older one is in italian, so anyone knows if SS 3.1 has italian language? thanks

(btw what are the differences between this two versions?)

(btw what are the differences between this two versions?)

between which two versions? SS3.1 and ...? (if you mean the Italian version that came with the RH10... we won't know unless you get the version number)

Computer specs:

Intel 1.73GHz Centrino

512MB RAM

Windows XP Pro (5.1.2600 SP2)

My system is practically fresh (new computer, with clean install of OS).

I performed the initial install of SonicStage 3.1 (first version of SS ever installed on my computer), plugged in my RH10 (JE), and it was not recognized by SonicStage.

Then I tried Ishi's procedure, but still SonicStage still did not recognize the RH10. I performed a clean reinstall, according to the directions in the FAQ. The first run of SonicStage recognized the RH10, but the blank disc (regular MD) I put inside was recognized with data on it. I removed the disc to put into my MD deck to check that it was blank; it had been formated to Hi-MD. I placed the same disc back into the recorder, and now SonicStage is back to not recognizing the player.

Please provide me with further instruction on how to get my RH10 up and running with my computer; I'd rather not have to resort to installing the German version of the software to get it to work.

PS. I am utterly disgusted with how such an expensive product utilising technology developed over 2 years ago could still be so incompatible with its own software. Shame on Sony. I envy all of you NetMD/Hi-MD users who have successfully used SonicStage. I'd love to get this working so that I can actually enjoy my RH10.

I put in another blank disc, and SS not only recognized the RH10, but also acknowledged that it was blank! Eureka!

I'm apalled at how long SP transfers take, however. I was aware of this problem in the first generation of NetMD, but I figured that the problem would have been solved by now.

I have only used 3.0 for a VERY short period, and besides I only use SS to upload my own recordings (not for a music library of downloading music to MD) so I'm afraid I really can't comment on this... but since 2.3 SS is quit stable (once it recognizes your player at least tongue.gif ) so there shouldn't be any big problems using 3.0

if you really want to have 3.1, check out the tip given below...

Please provide me with further instruction on how to get my RH10 up and running with my computer; I'd rather not have to resort to installing the German version of the software to get it to work.

this guy's workaround, seems to work for most ppl, though... It does involve a German version of SS and a some extra work...but in the second step, you can choose the language you prefer (as I understand it at least) and it really seems to work!

another method that has worked (at least for one person) can be found here, but this also involves quite some work...

good luck and greetings, Volta

My SS 3.1 on PC cant detect my netMD and its very frustrating... sad.gif

then i found this forum...

and two days later...

i burst out in cheers and tears of happiness..

"Yay....it works!!!" am so happy.. thanks to meandaddy for his tips.... and to mviracca for the idea of installing SS twice..

i had the same problem as mviracca's.

after removing the SS as instructed, i installing the german version and then SS 3.1. But the sonicstage was nowhere in my computer. i install again SS 3.1 for the second time....and voila... it detects my NHF800.... am in heaven now~ biggrin.gif

i love this forum.... cool.gif

My SS 3.1 on PC cant detect my netMD and its very frustrating... sad.gif

then i found this forum...

and two days later...

i burst out in cheers and tears of happiness..

"Yay....it works!!!" am so happy.. thanks to meandaddy for his tips.... and to mviracca for the idea of installing SS twice..

i had the same problem as mviracca's.

after removing the SS as instructed, i installing the german version and then SS 3.1. But the sonicstage was nowhere in my computer. i install again SS 3.1 for the second time....and voila... it detects my NHF800.... am in heaven now~  biggrin.gif 

i love this forum....  cool.gif

Heh... our warmest welcome to you! Welcome to MDCF! wink.gif

Ok,

download here:

wink.gif

Well, I did exactly as you said with the German download and Sonicstage now recognizes both the MD and the MP3 players. Thanks so much. On dial up it took a long time to download but it was worth the wait. We had tried everything else and so it's nice to see that we can finally use everything. Thanks again and be blessed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I ordered the MZ-RH10

It arrived today.

I thought, I know, the minidisc.org forums have a new version of sonicstage, newer than the 3.0 on the CD.

So I downloaded and installed, and had the problems detailed in this post.

Being able to use my computer to move files to my hi-md drive (E:), SonicStage recognising NetMD discs, but not recognising HiMD discs.

So I uninstalled and tried the suggestion of installing the German version, then 3.1 over the top.

SonicStage didn't even load.

So uninstalled and installed the one off the CD - and it works!

I thought i'd spent £160 on a piece of junk.

So if anyone's having problems, then give the original CD a go.

Okay, I've done a full clean re/uninstall of SS and my MD isn't recognized. It worked 100% before the uninstall. I was having problems with SS, due to my Windows XP theme. So the reinstall did nothing. Anyway, after a reinstall and a reversion back to the stock Windows theme, SS works fine, but my MD does not. I also tried the clean+German 3.003 method to no avail. I am running WinXP Pro with SP2 on a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 512 Mb of RAM. I can't figure it out. I've also tried deleting the device from Device Manager and getting Windows to recognize it (which it does) but SonicStage won't.

Help, please! I have only the contents of my one Hi-MD right now. Any assistance would be extremely appreciated.