What's your favourite ATRAC bit rates?

Rate this topic

Guest Stuge

In which bit rate do you like to hear your songs?  

1. 1. In which bit rate do you like to hear your songs?

• ATRAC3plus (48kbps)
    • ATRAC3plus (64kbps)
    • ATRAC3plus (96kbps)
    • ATRAC3 (105kbps)
    • ATRAC3plus (128kbps)
    • ATRAC3 (132kbps)
    • ATRAC3 (160kbps)
    • ATRAC3plus (192kbps)
    • ATRAC3plus (256kbps)
    • ATRAC3plus (320kbps)
    • ATRAC3plus (352kbps)
    • None of the Above

Correction: 132kbps should be Atrac3 (LP2), not Atrac3+.

LP2 (Atrac3 132kbps) is the most versatile, since it is compatible with all Atrac devices, including legacy MD (except pre-MDLP units) and all Network walkmans, and still give decent sound quality.

I was thinking about getting a Hi-MD deck last month, and I'll definitely get one if they become available in the UK, but otherwise I don't think I want to go through the hassle of importing. I think the portables sound fine through line out into the hi-fi, and the decks dont seem to add that much to the format. I've got a 4 CD multi-deck and a Yamaha HD1300 deck to do large scale PCM jukeboxing at home, so I'm having a hard time convincing myself I need a Hi-MD deck as well.

Hi-MD for all-round portable use is unbeatable though... :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I put my vote for 132 Atrac3, this however has just been since getting and e407 with a mere 1gb of space. For stuffthat goes on my Vaio i like knowing that it's at 192 atrac3plus, nut i'd be kidding myself if i said i could actually here a marked difference.

i chose 'none of the above' as i strictly dont subscribe to working to bit-rates.

If i had to pin down to a fav, however, it would be 105 or 132 ATRAC3.

That's not decided on on quality terms, or even strictly on compactness ground (if quality were the be all and end all, 256K would be the safe ground, supported on all my decks).

But i happen to know that a big disc set compilation, like some of those 8 disc compilation collections sold through Wal-Mart, or Asda's here in the UK, well, at 105 or 132 (cant remember exactly which at this moment), is perfect for getting all 8x up-to-74 mins actual run time CD's onto on 74min RW - purrfect for ATRAC CD use with a D-NE.

105 or smaller (according to necessity) would be the logical choice with Net-MD/Hi-MD using 80 min MD's, or any suitable (based on the analysis of each track according to a a spread of diff encodings) alternative that gives a usable result - when using the MD in multi-album, multi-disc on one MD mode.

When it comes to one album per MD, aka using the MD in 'walkman' mode, clearly, it's gonna be high rate encoding all the way - when i listen to something like War of The Worlds (the analogue transfer from my 1st release vinyl, or the recent SA-CD remaster), i go totally hi-rate within the limits of needing to get two long CD's on one 80 min MD.

When all is said and done, yes the spread of available rates may seem (to the outsider) like a bit-rate drought, by as we know pretty well here, there is a combo available to suit most needs.

Given 105 or 132 is the distribution rate used by the Connect store, putting it's distros in the same size/quality league as the more legal-downloads preferred 128K WMA alternative form, it kinda qualifies those two rates aint totally unsuited for semi-compact downloadable form.

As i said before, the content defines what rate gives the best repro, and this is totally the case for ANY codec used, the end result of what you can live with, is much based on your ears vs storage capacity, and it's amazing still what you can actually live with.. - after all, we shouldn't really be expecting to reproduce what we hear out of such a device through a nice expensive indoor amp and speakers, to appear out of compact portable phones off the internal amp of the players - such audiophile expectations would be pretty damn crazy.

And yet, out there, they exist, such people..., sadly - and they also tend to have a big influence on 'suggested encoding strategies' for newcomers. :(

How do you get Atrac3 plus?

In my SS3.3, I only see Atrac & Atrac Advanced Lossless under CD Importing Format.  Am I missing something?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Under Cd importing format[My Library].You will see Atrac Codec to be selected for your Cd to be recorded...

Except for Artac3 132kpbs,Every bit rate given under Atrac(Tab) is Atrac3plus LIKE ATRAC3PLUS 64kpbs,192kpbsetc etc..

**If you are still in doubt then please post a new topic under "Software Section"***