Emergency Spare Battery for MZ-NH900

Rate this topic

Hi

I'm going to a 3 day music festival tomorrow and need to do some recording but can't find my dry battery case wacko.gifunsure.gif

I have the standard gumstick that came with the NH900 (i.e. the Ni-MH, NH-10WM) which I know isn't the best battery in the world and there's no way it will last the weekend.

I do however have two gumstick batteries from my old CD Walkman, Ni-Cd NC-6WM. From my searches on the forum I've realised that they are pretty low powered - 1.2v, 600mAh - but will they do as spares and can I charge them in the MD cradle without fear of smoke, meltdown and tears??

Thanks

I would not charge them with your NH900. Ni-CD's charge differently than Ni-MH's. Personally I do not use my units to charge batteries. I would use a seperate, dedicated charger. As for the time they last, well it looks like you already researched it but I do not think they will last very long.

I did just come back from a 3 days festival, and the external battery is unvaluable. I don't known if the Ni-Cd batt. is of the same size , but i will also doubt that the NH-900 will properly charge it, and figure when to stop charging it. I would suggest to get some NH-14WM or similar before the festival.

What a pity. If the standard 1000 mAh NH-10WM takes 2.5 hours to charge, as the manual says, a 600 mAh NC-6WM should be fully charged after 1.5 hours. Interrupt the charging process manually after this time and everything should be fine.

It's propably better to use Hi-SP rather than PCM as it will save a significant amount of your valuable power.

I am not sure if the NH900 has the ability to use an external dry cell adapter, but if it does I would use that with an a heavy duty alkaline cell over Ni-CD's. Even a AA Ni-MH would be better.

With my R900 I use a 14WM and a Panasonic 1600 mah Ni-MH AA. It works very well. I also use the Panasonic rechargeable with my 600D and get about 24 hours of usable power. (8 hours continuous use for 3 days).

*EDIT* I still would not recommend charging the NI-CD with the NH900. Even if you did stop the charging process at the right time it would be too easy toforget about it and overcharge the battery.

Edited by KrazyIvan

I am not sure if the NH900 has the ability to use an external dry cell adapter, but if it does I would use that with an a heavy duty alkaline cell over Ni-CD's.  Even a AA Ni-MH would be better. 

With my R900 I use a 14WM and a Panasonic 1600 mah Ni-MH AA.  It works very well.  I also use the Panasonic rechargeable with my 600D and get about 24 hours of usable power. (8 hours continuous use for 3 days).

*EDIT* I still would not recommend charging the NI-CD with the NH900.  Even if you did stop the charging process at the right time it would be too easy toforget about it and overcharge the battery.

I woudn't recommend using the ni-cad either. What you could do is get a couple of 2300mh AA rechargeables like the ones used in Sony stills cameras. These can be picked up quite cheaply. Charge up before you go and use them in the external battery pack. (Assuming you manage to find it)

Edited by richyhu

Found it!!!! The joy of the dry battery case. laugh.gif

Thanks for all of your help with this - I've charged the NC-6WMs in the original CD unit and will take them to see how they cope with playback on the car journey. I don't think I'll risk them for recording though.

I should have a few snippets for the Gallery next week. I've got some new mics (thanks greenmachine) and have bought some Croakies to mount them at ear level so I'll be doing some experimenting.

Incidently, I usually record in Hi Sp - if I record in PCM will the quality be worth the hassle of more batteries and discs?

Thanks again for your help - Leicester here I come......

At a 3 day festival, I would stick with Hi-SP. Since you are going to probably be outdoors and this won't be the most pleasing recording scenarios, just go Hi-SP. It's really a decent recording codec on the 1st and 2nd Gen Hi-MDs. I have recorded several "important" sets with it and it's been fine. PCM is my main mode but Hi-SP is the ONLY way at a 3 Day festival. Plus, the uploads when you get home will be much, much, much faster. Just my .02.

Much better to have the battery case !

Myself i was using non rechargeable Lithium batt. (last longer than alkaline), so you don't have to carry a lot of them.

I was also using HiSP except for my favorite band (where i was using PCM).