Using Hi-MD in car

Rate this topic

ATELETRONICS

For those of you who are looking to hook up the hi-md in your car there are car stereos that have usb inputs. You can copy the music as data files them play them directly from the player digitally through usb.

Welcome to forums ATELETRONICS, Can you please post links to these websites?

very interesting ATELETRONICS!

Does it mean that the car stereo will drive your Himd just like a computer ?

If so , you can overpass the digital amplifier of the Himd (which is not excellent to my ears)

If the car stereo can decode WMA lossless: 3 hours of PCM quality on one 1GB himd!

very interesting ATELETRONICS!

Does it mean that the car stereo will drive your Himd just like a computer ?

If so , you can overpass the digital amplifier of the Himd (which is not excellent to my ears)

If the car stereo can decode WMA lossless: 3 hours of PCM quality on one 1GB himd!

I dont know if they can do wma lossless. The package says mp3 and wma throught usb. there is really no reason to use lossless in a car. just use wma varaible and set it to the highest setting. Its comparable to 320mp3 but it sounds better to me.

The radio will not decrypt the music from the MD discs so the files you use with the radio will not be playable on the MD unit, you will need to keep 2 copies on a disc, one to listen to on the Minidisc player and one on the radio.

Also,

The fact they can use a USB storage device does not mean they will talk to a Hi-MD unit.

My AV700 has a native USB controller for reading from cameras, memory card readers etc BUT refuses to work with my Hi-MD as it is not fully standards complient (?). It just produces a red cross and says it cannot access the device as its not a storage class device.

The other thing, not all WMA players play lossless. My AV700 will play all WMA v10 files including encrypted, that is all except lossless. It just says that the format is not correct and fails.

Edited by Qwakrz

The radio will not decrypt the music from the MD discs so the files you use with the radio will not be playable on the MD unit, you will need to keep 2 copies on a disc, one to listen to on the Minidisc player and one on the radio.

Also,

The fact they can use a USB storage device does not mean they will talk to a Hi-MD unit.

My AV700 has a native USB controller for reading from cameras, memory card readers etc BUT refuses to work with my Hi-MD as it is not fully standards complient (?). It just produces a red cross and says it cannot access the device as its not a storage class device.

The other thing, not all WMA players play lossless. My AV700 will play all WMA v10 files including encrypted, that is all except lossless. It just says that the format is not correct and fails.

i was not sure if it would not play wma lossless. lots of players will not. i just noticed the usb port. the hi-md is supposed to be comlpient for a removable storage device. that should mean it can read any standard mp3 or wma files right off of the disk. we really need someone to try it and find out. yes you would need 2 copies of your music but for some people that might not be a big deal. i was thinking of buying one.

I don't understand why someone would want to bother with the inconvenience of an external HiMD in data mode if these players accept both audio and mp3/wma data cds. A usb stick or sd card might be smooth to use though. My sister has one of these car stereos with usb input and sd card slot. I'll give it a try later.

Edited by greenmachine

Also,

hmm... very strange.

When I plug my NH900 with pictures on the disc , into the USB input of a photo-revelation automat (like KODAK), it works fine and print any picture I want...

Edited by garcou

I don't understand why someone would want to bother with the inconvenience of an external HiMD in data mode if these players accept both audio and mp3/wma data cds. A usb stick or sd card might be smooth to use though. My sister has one of these car stereos with usb input and sd card slot. I'll give it a try later.

[/quo

i would use hi-md's because as far as normal use goes they are almost indestructable. treat a cdr like an md and it lasts about 2-3 months for me. usb sticks are cool but a 1 gig is still expensive. mem cards are also epensive too. md's are awesome. i have some that are 6 years old they still look good and work perfect. i also need a new car stereo.

that would be awesome. please let me know.

I'd rather get a car stereo with a line-in, allowing me to use whatever input device I want. I've seen it so I know it exists, must be expensive though.

Nah, cheap.

Sony makes a couple. I think they're GT100 and GT200. They're $129CDN and $199CDN respectively. If you're in the US, that's $128US and $198US respectively. :):P

I'll give it a try later.

Unfortunately it doesn't work. The car stereo (Tevion something) recognizes both usb stick and mp3 player through the usb port (both fat and fat32 formatting), but not the nh700 in data mode. It supports mp3 cbr/vbr and wma cbr/vbr but neither windows pcm (wav) nor wma lossless. Considering the usual (lack of) sound quality in a car, lossless would be a waste anyway. I guess HiMD is not 100% mass storage compliant, you can't even format a disc using windows explorer.

Unfortunately it doesn't work. The car stereo (Tevion something) recognizes both usb stick and mp3 player through the usb port (both fat and fat32 formatting), but not the nh700 in data mode. It supports mp3 cbr/vbr and wma cbr/vbr but neither windows pcm (wav) nor wma lossless. Considering the usual (lack of) sound quality in a car, lossless would be a waste anyway. I guess HiMD is not 100% mass storage compliant, you can't even format a disc using windows explorer.

that stinks! i didn't know that you couldnt even format it with windows explorer. what does windows say when you try?

I tried again and - guess what - i can format it via windows explorer now - don't ask me why it didn't work previously though. If you format the disc via the unit and put audio files on it, it's not recognized by the car stereo. But if you do it via the explorer, it works. If formatted externally, the md might display something like 'format error disc - do you want to format?' - but this message can/should be ignored. Fat16/32 both work. I seem to get a short skip during the first seconds of a song if connected to the car stereo, but this could have various reasons and ain't too much of an annoyance. Overall the whole process seems some kind of unreliable, but mostly works if you know how. Personally i wouldn't continuously expose the himd to the rough conditions in a car though, it seems too valuable and fragile. Just my opinion.

Edited by greenmachine

I don't understand why someone would want to bother with the inconvenience of an external HiMD in data mode if these players accept both audio and mp3/wma data cds.

It's quite simple... MP3/WMA data CD's jump too easily. I have a MP3/WMA CD player in my car and I never use MP3/WMA discs for this reason.

Just use you cd changer input on the car stereo as an AUX IN (many car stereos have a cable to do that) and buy a car holder for the minidisc!

Excellent sound quality, no double copies of MDs and title scrolling on the unit in the carholder!

A "car holder" for the minidisc??? Do you mean there's some type of harness out there to hold our portable MD players, or did you mean an in-dash MD?? If such a thing exists, please provide a manufacturer name or link!

I'd rather get a car stereo with a line-in, allowing me to use whatever input device I want. I've seen it so I know it exists, must be expensive though.

Absolutely... that's what I use...

IPB Image