minidisk to hard drive

Rate this topic

bobert1

Welcome. Erm, what Minidisc player do you have specifically? What model number?

Thanks I have a uk special edition sony minidisk deck MDS-jb940, it's a few years old now, may be 5(?) but i love it and it has served well......i will hopefully use it for years to come??!!!!

rob

Edited by bobert1

oh yeah, that SCMS thing...that explains why I can't record from digi-out of my deck to md. So how about soundcards?

My Soundcard has a digital out, which my minidisc wont record from digitally. But it will let me copy if I turn on digital out from the volume control after a restart. If I stop and try to record again I get a no copy message, but if i restart my computer I can record again.

Edited by Matt J

wish it was as easy as that for me bland10000! What program do you use to play whatever you are recording from? Does this make any difference or does it depend on your soundcard.

I don't think the program makes a difference. I use Real as my library but also have songs loaded in SS, WMA, and Musicmatch and I can digitally record via the soundcard from all programs.

Most sound cards just ignore the SCMS flag hence copying to computer is not hindered. The rules for copy protection did not apply to computer equipment. That is changing. There are some sound card appearing that do respect the SCMS flag.

Most sound cards just ignore the SCMS flag hence copying to computer is not hindered. The rules for copy protection did not apply to computer equipment. That is changing. There are some sound card appearing that do respect the SCMS flag.

I've found reporting of this to be very inconsistent.

Some SP/DIF inputs on sound cards will allow anything to pass [sCMS ignored];

Some won't allow anything to pass except for "monitoring" [using the sound card as a DAC];

and Some respect SCMS.

If you are looking at a sound card or USB adapter with SP/DIF inputs [optical or coax], I'd suggest searching the net for tech and customer reviews of the units you're looking at first. Also, reading the full specs or operations manual of the product will sometimes specify how it deals with SCMS.

• 2 months later...

If you are looking at a sound card or USB adapter with SP/DIF inputs [optical or coax], I'd suggest searching the net for tech and customer reviews of the units you're looking at first. Also, reading the full specs or operations manual of the product will sometimes specify how it deals with SCMS.

Has anyone tried this with various sound cards? Can anyone provide a Yes/No on theirs? I am looking at a HDA X-Mystique 7.1 Gold with Digital I/O board but will change if you can suggest others that will work