I bought an iPod.

Rate this topic

petertkalec

Hi everybody,

I've been a MD user (MZ-N707 four years ago and an MZ-NH900 pre-ordered from Sony, I was so excited about Hi-MD) for a while and finally, right around the same time my re-built NH900 (I had it repaired while under warranty) started trashing discs (edits on the machine would render the discs to that wonderful "cannot play or record" mode) a friend of mine got a 5th gen iPod (30GB, video). It rocked, and I took my tax return to my local technology dealer and picked up the best thing that ever happened to my portable listening experience.

I had been on the fence about getting an iPod - I loved MD (still do in a way, namely the recording way - though I'm looking forward to trying out griffin's PCM recorder with AGC add-on for the 5th gen iPods).

Coming to these forums kept me on the format for a little longer than healthy, so I just wanted to encourage anyone else who is on the fence: the iPod is leap-years ahead of MD for playing music & media. It's not quite perfect, but it's pretty close. There's more than marketing behind the masses buying up iPods: they're great hardware.

PS - I guess some sound quality issues have been addressed in these 5th gens; I read that iPods didn't sound this good a year or two ago.

Way to be a clone. I'll look for you on the subway or at the bus station. I'm sure you'll stand out.

Do you own an iPod? iPod and MD are not in the same category. First, one is a hard-drive DAP, while the other one is a removable media. I use both iPod and MD. For organizing hundreds/thousands of albums and songs, nothing can beat iTunes + iPod combo, especially with smart playlist.

i wouln't be caught dead with an i-pod; matter of fact; i would give up music before i get an i-pod; and as much as i HATE SOny;; i love my MD/Hi-MD;

i think this guy whould see a shrink about it; or think about it; but, don't blink; skink winks can be in the aire.

shouldn't he be on a bus to i-pod-i-onia?!

i just got an ipod yesterday, selling my nh1. its a shame because the hd digital amp is amazing but im fed up of not having all my music with me! Not too impressed with ipods sound quality though!

SQ is highly subjective. 5G iPods have pretty good SQ, much better than previous iPods, although not up to the level of the shuffle. Forget the EQ though, seems to me Apple just cannot make the EQs properly. Next step would be to get a good headphone.

Stop the anti-iPod comments, folks. Calling him a sheep et al. will not make him change his mind or do anything positive for the MD format. Besides, that's so tired out. "I got an iPod." "Sheep." Yes, it's probably not a good idea to post about the iPod on an MD forum, but let's be accepting and more mature about it and not feel the need to flame every person who does so.

petertkalec: Congrats on your new gadget. Hopefully, you can find an iPod forum that is as helpful as MDCF is for MD users.

I agree, the whole anti iPod things should stop, or at least be toned down, considering this isn't the place to do so (take it over to Head-Fi instead).

At the same time, however, talking about iPods in what is a primarily MiniDisc (and Sony) dominated forum is like saying how WinXPs are superior vs. OSX in a OSX forum. Neither welcomed nor wanted.

May I suggest that this topic be moved or axed, considering that it's out of scope?

I agree, the whole anti iPod things should stop, or at least be toned down, considering this isn't the place to do so (take it over to Head-Fi instead).

At the same time, however, talking about iPods in what is a primarily MiniDisc (and Sony) dominated forum is like saying how WinXPs are superior vs. OSX in a OSX forum. Neither welcomed nor wanted.

May I suggest that this topic be moved or axed, considering that it's out of scope?

Agreed. Someone people will favor one format over the other; nothing wrong with that - after all it's still music they are enjoying. Let's keep our comments to a sensible level - otherwise, this topic will be closed accordingly.

I think it has run its course already, actually. Come on guys, we've been through this a million times and it leads nowhere. Obviously, for strict music listening it is hard to justify MD in comparison to a HDD unit with much higher capacity. MD is best used in this day and age as a live recording device that won't break the bank, or as a novelty format that has alot of cool devices and related accessories.

After re-reading the topic by petertkalec, I don't believe his intent was to start a flame war, but rather pronounce his shift. We need not add more coals to the fire, but rather talk about it sensibly (in the future) as Ishiyoshi has stated.