Making an MP3 DVD using SonicStage 3.4?

Rate this topic

asteward27

I have two questions:

First, is it possible to create an MP3 DVD (not CD) using SonicStage? All of my music files are already converted to WAV format.

Second, I noticed that WAV files take up an extreme amount of storage space. An hour and 19 minute recording uses ~803MG, and all my recordings from a 1GB minidisc is now taking up 12.6 GBs (recorded in Hi-LP mode). I am trying to back up all my recordings onto CDs or DVDs (at the moment I have 5 MDs, 2 80 min and 3 1GB to backup), but am hoping that when converted from WAV files into MP3s, the files will be smaller. Does anybody know if when WAV files are converted to MP3s on the CD using SonicStage, the files are also compressed, or in other words become smaller? Having this information will help me begin this process. At least, I'll know how many CDs or DVDs to buy.

Thanks a lot!

I have two questions:

First, is it possible to create an MP3 DVD (not CD) using SonicStage? All of my music files are already converted to WAV format.

Second, I noticed that WAV files take up an extreme amount of storage space. An hour and 19 minute recording uses ~803MG, and all my recordings from a 1GB minidisc is now taking up 12.6 GBs (recorded in Hi-LP mode). I am trying to back up all my recordings onto CDs or DVDs (at the moment I have 5 MDs, 2 80 min and 3 1GB to backup), but am hoping that when converted from WAV files into MP3s, the files will be smaller. Does anybody know if when WAV files are converted to MP3s on the CD using SonicStage, the files are also compressed, or in other words become smaller? Having this information will help me begin this process. At least, I'll know how many CDs or DVDs to buy.

Thanks a lot!

SonicStage will only burn CDs. As for converting WAV to MP3, yes the files will be smaller but that depends at what bitrate you convert them to. But if you're going from PCM -> WAV - > MP3, there will be a loss in sound quality, but again that depends on the bitrate.

Converting to MP3 is compressing all right. Depending on the bitrate you select, your files will be from one tenth, to one fourth of the original wave. Just don't use Sonicstage to create the Mp3s or the CD/DVD. Get another encoder like Lame and the RazorLame frontend, (even MusicMatch will be enough) and use any kind of CD burning application (Like Nero) to create the archive CD or DVD.

Converting to MP3 is compressing all right. Depending on the bitrate you select, your files will be from one tenth, to one fourth of the original wave. Just don't use Sonicstage to create the Mp3s or the CD/DVD. Get another encoder like Lame and the RazorLame frontend, (even MusicMatch will be enough) and use any kind of CD burning application (Like Nero) to create the archive CD or DVD.

Thanks for replying! Why don't you suggest using SonicStage? What bitrate would you suggest I use? (I am a true beginner with all of this!)

You could back up the files in their native Hi-LP format without de-/recompressing / transcoding. Just be sure to free the files from DRM beforehand by converting them to the same bitrate while unchecking the "add copy protection" box.

You beat me to it...

This is the technique I use to back up the recordings I have uploaded.

And SonicStage is smart enough to actually just remove the copy protection without actually re-encoding?

Yep, sure does.

Try it out. Convert a track to the same bitrate and compare how quickly it does this versus how long it takes to convert to a different bitrate... It just makes a copy of the track without the DRM if you use the same bitrate.

EDIT: BTW, it puts the DRM-stripped tracks in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\SonicStage\Packages\Optimized Files". I have just put a shortcut to this folder on my desktop so after uploading/un-DRMing files I can just go in there and back them up to a sepearate folder immediately.

You can also use the ATRAC plugin for Winamp (available in downloads section here) to play the files just fine on any computer after the DRM has been stripped.

Edited by raintheory