300MB of RAM just to view MdCF?

What's up with the forum, do we need gigabytes of RAM now just to read some text?

Look what happens to the RAM counter when i enter the forums:

[attachmentid=1832]

What could be the cause? It doesn't seem to happen on the minidisc.org main site or the lofi version of the forum.

post-6863-1152273787_thumb.jpg

Approx. 98 MB. Before entering mdcf it's <20. Also it says something like "transferring data from 196.regvista.com" while filling up the memory. If i leave and re-enter the site in the same tab, memory consumption is back to normal.

[attachmentid=1833]

post-6863-1152276612_thumb.jpg

What could be the cause? It doesn't seem to happen on the minidisc.org main site or the lofi version of the forum.

It's Firefox. Firefox has a feature that prefetch pages/links so pages will appear faster when you click on the links. Unfortunately, the downside is in sites with many links (eg. forums), it can result in firefox gobbling too much memory. Try updating to the latest version. There are workarounds, you can find them at mozilla's support/FAQ site. However, results vary, as it works for some people but not others.

Thanks, are our machines infected now? Everything seems to work as usual.

Greenmachine - I think you should be ok. But if you want to be on the safe side run a virus scan on your local machine. Looks like you're using Spybot Search & Destroy too (like myself) so do a scan with that too.

Spybot found three entries, but i'm not sure about their origin. Housecall only found a few vulnerabilities. System seems to work as usual now.

I think you should be ok. I couldn't find anything on my system. The spybot ones could just have been tracking cookies from other sites. Spybot is pretty efficient if you keep it updated reguarly.