Good MD disc storage

Rate this topic

vore

Hope this is the right place for this topic.

Instead of buying $20 plastic cases to store minidiscs you might consider Uline cardboard boxes for bulk storage.

I have a lot of minidiscs (2000) and storing them became a problem. If you need bulk storage for your discs you might want to check out their site. I have absolutely no affiliation with these people and the moderator can delete this post. I just thought some mini disc fans might find this helpful for storage.

I purchased this one. I had to buy 20 (min order) but they are really good for other things as well. They come with a handle and are extremely sturdy. Other smaller boxes are available so check it out.

http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?mod...73&ref=1401

It will hold 196 disc's (in their case) upright. With another 100 or so laid down. 296-300 per box total.

not very durable though???...if they were made of hard plastic, maybe...

Your right but for cheap bulk storage they work for me. Before I purchased these boxes I called the company and spoke with a rep. I explained what I intended to store in the boxes. 300 per box of MiniDiscs are heavy.

The boxes are made of corrugated cardboard on all sides including the lid and flaps. They are strong enough to support 3-4 boxes laid on top of each other loaded with minidiscs.

I tried to find wood wine boxes with a hinged or sliding lid but no luck. I looked at other storage companies but I just cant bring myself to spend 20 to 30 dollars for plastic MD storage that will hold 40 minidiscs. The cardboard boxes are about 2 bucks each.

I prefer the plastic Plano cases which minidiscaccess used to sell, but I don't see them on their site any longer. Originally designed for fishing gear, you could store around 135 discs each in a watertight environment. If you are in the habit of using those skinny stickers to label the ends of the discs, these are perfect. I had discovered that K-mart was selling these at about half of what minidiscaccess was, around $4.99 each. I believe you can still find them in their fishing equipment/tackle box section.

Edited by culp4684

I prefer the plastic Plano cases which minidiscaccess used to sell, but I don't see them on their site any longer. Originally designed for fishing gear, you could store around 135 discs each in a watertight environment. If you are in the habit of using those skinny stickers to label the ends of the discs, these are perfect. I had discovered that K-mart was selling these at about half of what minidiscaccess was, around $4.99 each. I believe you can still find them in their fishing equipment/tackle box section.

I wasn't familiar with these so I goggled "plano plastic cases" and found out the manufacturer is Plano Molding Company in Plano, Illinois. I emailed them and asked if they knew the model number of a tackle box associated with Kmart.

They have hundreds of plastic cases on their site. Hopefully they will email back with a supplier location. Thanks for the info and I'll let you know when I receive a reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Raja I know you travel alot for your job and this box would be great for you. Depending on your car the box looks like it would fit under alot of car seats. You would be able to bring a whole crap load with you. POE.

P.S. I'm pretty sure this is the same one I bought mine at a Kmart about 2 or 3 years ago. I check every once in awhile and I haven't seen it avaible since at stores. POE

Edited by poe

Hey Raja I know you travel alot for your job and this box would be great for you. Depending on your car the box looks like it would fit under alot of car seats. You would be able to bring a whole crap load with you. POE.

P.S. I'm pretty sure this is the same one I bought mine at a Kmart about 2 or 3 years ago. I check every once in awhile and I haven't seen it avaible since at stores. POE

Ok, sounds cool but a pic of the MDs IN the box would be VERY helpful... I'm curious what the layout is like, and how tight/loose they fit, etc. Thanks.

I have a digital camera but I have no idea how to post pictures to a forum like this. Ok I pulled it out and a handful of minidiscs out and tried out again.

Disc with sleeves you fit 6 discs in the outer slots, while you only fit 5 in the inner slots because of the extra divider slots. You have adequate finger room to get disc out even when the slot is full. If there is only a single disc in the slot, the slots are just narrow enough that it's still easy to get it out. I would say that they may be a little tricky if you were trying to do this while driving.

Disc without sleeves are pretty much the same except you can fit 10 and 9 discs in the slots. Also you have alittle additional side finger room which would make it alot easier to fetch a disc while driving.

Be aware that the front row, the one nearest the latch, has different divider spacings so you can really only split in half. If you keep these slots full though 2 rows of discs will still stay put in each half. This is actually a good place to put extra batteries and anyother supplies.

I checked the measurements from the link and they match mine. Later, POE.

I have a digital camera but I have no idea how to post pictures to a forum like this. Ok I pulled it out and a handful of minidiscs out and tried out again.

Disc with sleeves you fit 6 discs in the outer slots, while you only fit 5 in the inner slots because of the extra divider slots. You have adequate finger room to get disc out even when the slot is full. If there is only a single disc in the slot, the slots are just narrow enough that it's still easy to get it out. I would say that they may be a little tricky if you were trying to do this while driving.

Disc without sleeves are pretty much the same except you can fit 10 and 9 discs in the slots. Also you have alittle additional side finger room which would make it alot easier to fetch a disc while driving.

Be aware that the front row, the one nearest the latch, has different divider spacings so you can really only split in half. If you keep these slots full though 2 rows of discs will still stay put in each half. This is actually a good place to put extra batteries and anyother supplies.

Thanks for going through the trouble of describing... can't you just post a LINK to a photobucket or flickr post??

$4.89

"For oversized swimbaits and crankbaits" whatever those are.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage-P3730.html

Nice..thanks A440.....Plano never replied to my email.

Thanks poe. By the picture and your count, about 86-88 mini discs with sleeves will fit in one box