Apple Wants to Resurrect and Perfect the MiniDisc

Rate this topic

ShriDurga

Is this for real?? It seems like a joke to me. With iTunes success and the download generation, why on Earth would they invest in an optical DISC?

They are attempting to make unfoldable adapters for 8cm CDs, extending them to 12cm CD-size via this adapter, so that small 8cm CDs can work in slot-loading players which don't accept 8cm CDs, allowing for smaller packaging and thus saving them packaging costs in the process. An adapter is slightly cheaper than investing in a new optical disc format :P

I think it'll be hard to implement though..

Say you have an regular audio CD.. now what happens when you scratched it to make it unplayable? Similar concept: there will be a physical gap between the said 8cm mini-CD and the adapter itself.

Besides, what's the point of having an 8cm audio CD when it holds about 21 minutes of audio compared to a regular 80min?

I think it'll be hard to implement though..

Say you have an regular audio CD.. now what happens when you scratched it to make it unplayable? Similar concept: there will be a physical gap between the said 8cm mini-CD and the adapter itself.

Besides, what's the point of having an 8cm audio CD when it holds about 21 minutes of audio compared to a regular 80min?

I doubt Apple cares about audio CDs; I think their goal is to just distribute some relatively small software with their products (iTunes, etc) that doesn't really need a full-sized CD (and therefore allowing smaller packaging, while still not requiring users to download anything, This makes for a good out-of-box just-bought-it-and-everything-works retail experience).

1) Less clueless users calling Apple = probably savings hiring people manning the lines.

2) Universal installation options = simplicity.

3) Smaller and lighter packaging = probably big savings in freight and materials costs.

4) Dollars saved = possibly millions in extra profits on simple price-shavings given how many units they sell.

looks like apple is trying to patent something that has already long ago been invented. am i the only one who remembers the popular CD business cards?

you can't put a business card in a slot-loader, which is the whole point behind this thing. Besides, CD biz cards have uneven weight distribution which is not healthy for drives as they spin rapidly.