Sony MDR-NC11A Noise-Canceling Earphones

Rate this topic

markey

Yes I used these up until recently when the left bud faded out after about 6 months use. Not sure if this is a common issue, but other than that I was very happy with them and am looking to get a second pair.

The noise-cancelling is very efficient I have used them on planes and trains to great effect. Even with the NC off the sound is pretty good on these phones, similar to the EX71 but without the bloated bass. They are fairly comfortable but as with all canal phones you may have to play around with the different size silicon tips.

Edited by richyhu

That is not the amp but a battery compartment containing an AAA mini battery and on top of that the switch to activate / deactivate noise cancelling. It has a clip on the back to attach to a lapel or something as well. It is actually fairly light and doesn't weigh too much but can flap about a bit so use the clip.

Only problem is that if you want to use an lcd remote as well as these the whole cord length combined becomes very long!

Edited by richyhu

• 9 months later...

That is not the amp but a battery compartment containing an AAA mini battery and on top of that the switch to activate / deactivate noise cancelling. It has a clip on the back to attach to a lapel or something as well. It is actually fairly light and doesn't weigh too much but can flap about a bit so use the clip.

Only problem is that if you want to use an lcd remote as well as these the whole cord length combined becomes very long!

I read in Sony Style specs list on this unit, and also a review on Audio Cubes' website that the NC11A's (NOT to be confused with the inferior NC11) have an inline rotary volume control along with the noise canceling switch, and (compared to the EX71/81 have a whopping 106 dB with (noise canceling) compared to the EX71/81 which only have 100 dB, plus, they can handle 1000mW (1 WATT!) per channel, and from what I heard (and read) those who like the EX71/81 (part of the N.U.D.E. EX series) will love these, mainly because they have a LOUDER output (due to the +6 dB increase and from what I have read) than the passive EX71/81s do.

I am planning to get them (in black), on eBay as soon as I get my next paycheck, to add onto my RM-MC40ELK remote and LinkPlus SRS-88 surround sound headphone converter/amplifier that I use with my measely 5mW per channel MZ-NH700 Hi-MD Walkman, after all, ANY boost of volume without running the Walkman's amp into the ground (over 20/30 on the Walkman volume scale, which causes distortion) is indeed a plus. Also a little EQ tweeking as well as aural tuning will help out too.

As for the cord length (being 1.5 meters), a simple soldering iron experience and a little time and patience (and a spare cord preferably with a straight plug) and you will have a shorter, more remote-friendly cord in no time.