Atrac CD Playback Problems

Rate this topic

chaoscreater

Hmm i have another problem, all my music are now playing fine on my CD player, but when i put it on my laptop and try to listen to the music, it won't work. I tried opening SonicStage and then putting the CD, and it doesn't detect anything, so i then chose to import music from CD, and it doesn't detect anything either, even though i can clearly access the disc from "My Computer" and see a bunch of random files that are obviously not playable since it's in ATRAC3 format.

So how do i play this on my PC?? Do i need to download codecs for it? Because i already downloaded one from here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Sony_ATRAC3_Audio_Codec.htm

after i installed it, i still can't get SonicStage to play the CD, in fact it doesn't even detect any song lists

that's strange, i thought codecs are the only thing needed for a PC to play any file?? I know there are others who got this working on their WinAMP, because i read a few topics when i was doing my searching on Google and ppl reported saying that they could get it working, except those plugins are either out of date (incompatible with my version of WinAmp) because those topics are from a few years back, or that the links are dead......

Well done Avrin. I couldn't see that he meant an Atrac CD. In addition to portables they also can be played in a number of car stereo units (made mainly by Sony but I think I know of at least one other manufacturer, Kenwood, which made some for a while).

One possibly viable solution to Atrac playback would be to make a proper 12 volt rig for one of these car head units, and set it up in conjunction with your home stereo to use the (line) output which as intended to go to a power amp for a car, and send this to the TAPE input of your (home) amplifier. I'm thinking about doing this just for fun. The power requirements are quite hefty, though - you could easily blow up the average wall charger that has a 12 volt output, and the head-unit manuals don't seem to mention the actual requirements. Possibly I might be able to get a (small, sealed, wet) lead battery of the kind that's in my house burglar alarm and this would do the trick.

I like Atrac CD's very much but they have to be decrypted by the unit (unlike regular MD which are "raw" music data that can be played on any player). The quality is quite excellent, especially Atrac3+, equivalent to HiMD of course.

You CAN put Atrac3 (but never Atrac3+) files onto a CD yourself, and play them yourself with a PC-based music playing program (including one that is NOT SonicStage, providing you decrypted them). However now the disk will not be playable in a portable unit designed to play "Atrac CD"s.

Make sense? Better stock up on AtracCD players, if that is your preference, Sony stopped making them, and although they are cheap, they are quite hard to find.

You CAN put Atrac3 (but never Atrac3+) files onto a CD yourself, and play them yourself with a PC-based music playing program (including one that is NOT SonicStage, providing you decrypted them).

Non-DRMed ATRAC3plus is also playable (e.g., by Windows Media Player), if you have SonicStage installed, or have the decoder I've posted a while ago. No gapless though.

oh..... thx, will try that. I know it doesn't work with the Atrac3 codec mentioned by chaoscreator.

Avrin, I just tried my portable Atrac CD player into my new stereo. Result- horrible, nothing to do with Atrac, was horrible just playing a normal CD. Is there a specific volume level to use for the "out"? I recall you mentioning various details of the best level to use in this situation for MD units.