RH-10 Problem; shuts off when squeezed

Rate this topic

TEKWRX

I just got a used RH-10 (M100) for $50 off craigslist. Unit looks to be in decent shape, just some pry marks where it looks like someone forced the door open at some point.

The battery didn't work and there was no charger. It powered up through USB. I went to Radio Shack and the had an 3v AC adapter on clearance or $3. :P After cleaning the battery contacts good, the battery holds a charge for about 3 hours of playback. I've already ordered a fresh one as well as the AA battery holder.

BUT, now I've discovered another problem. While the unit is on, if I squeeze lightly on either left corner, near when the disc comes out, the unit reboots. This won't work for recording concerts if I have to worry about a little nudge or squeeze powering of the unit during recording. Are there any adjustments I can make to the hinge or any contact switches inside that detects when the door is oped or closed?

I have a feeling whoever forced open the door may have damaged or loosed up something.

Do any other RH-10 owners notice any "play" in the door if they squeeze it while closed?

Any ideas?

I think you have to get it disassembled and find the microswitch. It (or the metal which triggers it on closing) probably got bent when someone prised the unit open. If you are not good with tiny screws and the like, most likely a competent service engineer can fix this. But it may cost you as much as you've already spent with no guarantee of success.

It's S893 in the manual, I have a feeling it's at the corner under the Walkman symbol located on the lid of the unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think I figured this out. There is a metal tab that is underneath the lid between the headphone port and the mic port. This tab must press the switch that tells the unit the lid is opened. I just bent this tab ever so slightly and it seems like it's making good enough contact now. So far I haven't gotten it to re-boot. I hope thats all it was...