SONY MDS-JB940 MINIDISC PLAYER / RECORDER

Rate this topic

fourbanks

Does anyone know what the difference is between Sony stock sold in the UK in where two models may be sold where one has a red UK badge on it with copper screws and the other no badge and ordinary screws

My only findings over the years are the uk badged models come from a sony store and all the rest come from the likes of richer sounds etc and am told their is a sound difference in where you pay an extra

I'm wondering if there are special filters for either mains or RF. I actually possess one such UK unit, and it works fine over here with a suitable transformer. Either sound technical reasons (my guess), or Sony did their research and there's a bunch of HiFi (wing)nuts convinced them that special treatment would sell.

The service manuals are available here. Usually 1 service manual for all versions.

My JB980 has only AEP and UK versions. There are less than a dozen differences. A few screws, a few capacitors, a reinforcing plate and a different main board (perhaps only the other differences injected into it).

I remember 50Hz hum was always worse in the UK than 60Hz seems to be here in Canada. Maybe that's it....

It may well be you have seen the so-called AEP model on UK shelves.

What! I know the folks who work in these shops aren't that bright, but fifteen quid for a Sony MD deck of any type? I used to frequent these shops regularly when I was a public transport user (no parking in front of most of them due to their city locations), but all I ever saw was tat in the audio section - usually just DJ gear. And lots of guitars, amps and pedals, of course. And videos/DVDs that had been so badly abused you wondered if there's a factory somewhere that makes pre-scratched CDs and DVDs inside pre-torn cases.

Jim

I agree CashConverters are worth a look, this week I picked up a MZ-R55, for $40. Plays well and another one for the collection. I also agree a lot of the audio/visual stuff can be beat up in cash converters. The one near me has bikes, endless kitchenware, CDs and Dvd's, cell phones and the like. The audio stuff is mainly low end and knocked about, but now and again you spot a good buy.

15 quid for that deck is a total steal. Well done.

The main purpose of 24-bit output is to allow you to play back ATRAC sound at the highest resolution (assuming you have a 24-bit A->D in your amplifier). Since most ATRAC for more than 10 years *is* 24-bits internally. You could make 32-bit (obviously actually 24-bit)*** WAV files if you have a sound card with 24-bit IN.

Stephen

*** since 24-bit floating point has the capability to be BETTER than 32-bit integer, this conversion probably DOES make sense. However you would need some pretty good recordings with a very wide dynamic range before it will make a difference (relative to 16-bit), IMO.

Interesting. Look at this http://minidisc.org/part_Teac_MD-H100LP+H300LP.html

1. Not clear whether the H300 is the same as H300LP

2. Looks like there is Coax in and out on the back of the one you sent link to. No mention of Coax on the MDCF page.

Point #2 might confirm a difference....?

All in all, a firm "I don't know".

Interesting. Look at this http://minidisc.org/...0LP+H300LP.html

1. Not clear whether the H300 is the same as H300LP

2. Looks like there is Coax in and out on the back of the one you sent link to. No mention of Coax on the MDCF page.

Point #2 might confirm a difference....?

All in all, a firm "I don't know".

this thread might show some light ? it looks like the one on ebay does have both coax and optical

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68029

this thread might show some light ? it looks like the one on ebay does have both coax and optical

Don't think so. I actually looked right through it and I didn't see an MD at all. That's not to say there wasn't one.

It's possible, based on the pictures, that those extra sockets are not Coax but for the remote wired control.

Best to try and find a manual on line, what about here?

http://elektrotanya.com/

Thanks for your replies i expect as you say theirs not much in it

i have the MDS-JB920 uk model which is very good and hopefully this JB940 that i have just got hold of will be very similar

I did try to get hold of a JB980 but got outbid but am learning :rolleyes:

This model JB940 has just arrived at my home in immaculate condition and is a European model ATRAC3! my other model which is for the uk the JB920 is just wide stream they both sound the same if being honest so am pleased but if anyone could explain any differences then I'm all for learning and understanding

Sounds about right - just as JB980, there's a Euro model and a UK Model (except for JB980 there is no US or other model, not sure about Japanese). You can see the (service and user) manuals here.

Your 940 does LP2 and LP4 as well (that's the Atrac3 Part - ATRAC3 refers to MDLP, not to the revision of Atrac called ATRAC 3!), the 920 does SP only.

Sounds about right - just as JB980, there's a Euro model and a UK Model (except for JB980 there is no US or other model, not sure about Japanese). You can see the (service and user) manuals here.

Your 940 does LP2 and LP4 as well (that's the Atrac3 Part - ATRAC3 refers to MDLP, not to the revision of Atrac called ATRAC 3!), the 920 does SP only.

Thanks for your very detailed explanation. Japan were masters at creating the best of equipment but their drawback were so many models with a lot of vagueness things like brass screws etc when in reality all you ended up doing was creating a market that was so overblown that many stayed away from and never got involved at all

sad and now today everything is revolving around the very poor quality sounding ipod

In my opinion the JE510 offers the easiest control over editing, fast access to recording level (from analogue) and the most user friendly interface of all the decks I have used. It just feels 'right'. Even the button feel is lovely. They seem to give trouble though sadly.

The JB940 is nice too, but it is not so easy to use.

In my opinion the JE510 offers the easiest control over editing, fast access to recording level (from analogue) and the most user friendly interface of all the decks I have used. It just feels 'right'. Even the button feel is lovely. They seem to give trouble though sadly.

The JB940 is nice too, but it is not so easy to use.

I would pick the JE640 (Type-R, MDLP) over the JE510. I would pick the JE630 (Type-R, SP only) over the 510. Both have keyboard input available, the 510 does not. I own both of these.

Well I'm happy with the 940 that i have just got and the 920 which i have had for many years so will be ok for a few years now at least. I will still keep my eye out for a 980 as that would be good to add to my collection and then i could then pass on the 940 at some point :good: :good:

My new pioneer tape deck has just arrived and looks promising albeit made in Malaysia the feet on it at the back have been reduced to just normal wide feet at the front and just a couple of stud feet at the back i guess just to save a dollar ?