Sony MDS JE510 unusual eject problem

Rate this topic

Ragodin

Hi M1JWR

Thanks once again, but I don't think this is problem. The battery he talks about does lose the voltage very quickly but this would have been there since the beginning so is unlikely to be the cause of the disc not spinning.

At he start of this process the disc spun and the head didn't move; now the head moves but the disc will not spin.

I have taken it to bits and cleaned all the flat cable connections twice

Don't know what else I can do.

On 3/26/2021 at 9:34 AM, Ragodin said:

All cables cleaned but still no rotation of disc, though the head moves!

Sounds like the MCU is still not happy with something. It can still be laser related (i.e., IOP way out of range, or the lens position feedback circuit sending weird signals, etc.), but it can be else too.

8 hours ago, Ragodin said:

I have taken it to bits and cleaned all the flat cable connections twice

Don't know what else I can do.

I don't know, how deep your are skilled electro-mechanically (and how comfortable you are with stripping the drive further down), but if I were in your shoes I would definitely give a chance to cleaning and lubricating all those sensor switches.

This is where you need to dig down to - on this board there are six (6) switches, that (mainly, but not exclusively the two in the middle) may need thorough cleaning, removing dust and/or oxides from the sliding contacts, then apply some good lubrication (look for Kontakt 60 and 61 for example).

MDM-3 switches pCB

To the point @M1JWR raised: yes, it would make sense to quickly check all power rails, against the values specified in the SM.

WARNING: ELECTRIC SHOCK HAZARD! You must know what you are doing before opening the lid and doing measurements in a live equipment.

Regarding the OWH:

20 hours ago, Ragodin said:

... the upper head as that catches on the frame now, which it didn't before.

17 hours ago, sfbp said:

Insights please

Jonathan had posted some good photos and explanation on this here. Nothing to add, really.

After re-reading Jonathan's post, a quick note: I see he had also mentioned the same "trick" of fooling the deck to do a load sequence without a disc, to view/access some parts at the area normally covered by the disc. This is exactly the same that I described in the deleted post above, and that @kgallen raised as an issue.

Regarding the original problem ("unusual eject"): I don't feel I have all necessary bits and pieces of information to tell a more or less solid diagnosis. As the OP himself seems getting to where he finally gives it up, I don't see any reason for new questions and checks to get any further. My experience is that nearly all MDM-3 machines are repairable, regardless these type show the broadest variety of possible troubles (maybe just a volume thing). Whether or not it is worth the effort, depends always on the owner.

When I say "the old interlock problem" (I know Kevin is lurking about my obscure comments), I have (like most of us?) seen the difficulty which it's quite easy to get a portable into, if it gets stuck or loses power when the OWH is engaged ( and therefore we are/were recording something ). I have, perhaps incorrectly, assumed that this situation with the OWH bent is a comparable one, kind of like someone who gets arrested, arms-behind-the-back, getting stuck so because the arresting officer and the arrestee managed to have a struggle where the shoulder (of the latter) got dislocated. In that case, the (very painful) cure is for someone, chiropractor-like, to jerk the shoulder back into its socket.

(as an aside) I always thought it funny that ordinary doctors seem to know how to do this manoeuvre even though the majority of the medical profession doesn't believe in proper "osteopathy" and calls it "bone crunching" in an effort to dissuade the public from using/receiving chiropractic/osteopathic services or manipulations.

So yes, there is a risk that getting everything back to normal will cause something to break. The alternative is stripping down and reassembling everything, which most of us cannot begin to do. Jonathan's description of how to twirk the poor MD drive's shoulder seems an apt metaphor - you have to bend it well beyond its normal position expectation to break the interlock holding it in an impossible position.

I don't know, never been arrested.

But joking aside, I got you. True it is easy to mess up an MDM-3.

What exactly went wrong on his 510 - I really cannot tell without seeing the machine - too many things to watch out for when disassembling/assembling such a drive.