Daiei MD | "Savings" 10 Pack Slim Case

Richard

Daiei MD | "Savings" range 10 Pack Slim Case

This was another set for Japanese supermarket chain Daiei, from their "Savings" range of products. Made in Korea (presumably by Saehan), they came in 10 packs only, in these "Slim Case" flip top boxes with just the discs and no individual cases. The disc colours are the same in each set (Green. Blue, Clear, Purple and Pink). The 74 minute variant had a green wrapper and the 80 minute set an orange wrapper as seen here. Again, date unknown, but presumed to be early 2000's. 

Product Code: 10MD-80SV / 10MD-74SV

DSC03374a.JPG 

DSC01812a.JPG

DSC01815a.JPG

DSC01817a.JPG

DSC03376a.JPG

DSC03375a.JPG

17 hours ago, BearBoy said:

Packaging looks sort of "retro", which I am not sure was so much of a thing back in the heyday of MiniDisc.

Were these quite rare @Richard? Googling them is bringing back nothing (except your post).

The colors are a bit 1970's 😅 It was another bargain range of products to be sold in supermarkets, but being made by Saehan the discs are good quality and quite similar to their Natural Wave range. They do seem to be quite rare, they don't come up for sale very often - it took me about 4 years between finding the 80 minute discs and picking up the 74s recently. Even opened packs don't appear very often from what I can tell... 

On 8/9/2024 at 8:37 PM, BearBoy said:

Thanks @Richard 🙂

They're nice enough looking discs but was just wondering if the styling would be along the same lines as the packaging.

Fairly minimal overall, but the font on the disc and the logo with the removed corner echoes that on the packaging.