Administrator Rights

Rate this topic

Erol Uyar

I am a system administrator in a company. I have a windows network and all the users have limited rights. Recently some of my colleagues purchased NW-805 devices and requested the sonicstage software to be installed.

As a general rule, we are installing other softwares too, as long as those are licenced. So I have installed the sonic stage software on their computers. But it didn't work out. Because SonicStage needs "administrator rights or power user rights" on their computers.

No guys, I don't allow my users to have admin or power user rights, never. There are some other music devices in the environment such as Ipod or so and none of them have such a stupid requirements. No one can have admin rights or power user rights in my environment and I don't think any smart system admin would allow it.

I am asking now to Sony Network Admins; "How many users do you have who has administrator rights?" Can you answer me please? Silly, huh?

Now, I have uninstalled SonicStage from those PCs and adviced them to return the NW-805 devices to the shop and buy Ipod or any other thing but not a Sony device anymore. I declare this to everybody in my environment (forums, lists etc.) as well. Because I heard that all versions of SonicStage have the same requirements which an admin would never give to the users.

I guess by requiring these privileges Sony is trying to tell this; "Sony devices can be used only by system administrators. If you are a normal user, don't buy my devices". Is that the case? So funny then...

I guess by requiring these privileges Sony is trying to tell this; "Sony devices can be used only by system administrators. If you are a normal user, don't buy my devices". Is that the case? So funny then...

Maybe you shouldn't be installing Sonic Stage in a business environment. Bear in mind Sonic Stage is a piece of software designed to be used primarily by home users not for people in a corporate environment on machines that need to be locked down.

Personally, I think you are just using this "scenario" as an excuse for another misinformed anti-Sony rant.

I have uninstalled SonicStage from those PCs and adviced them to return the NW-805 devices to the shop and buy Ipod or any other thing but not a Sony device anymore. I declare this to everybody in my environment (forums, lists etc.) as well. Because I heard that all versions of SonicStage have the same requirements which an admin would never give to the users.

Seriously as a network admin you told a bunch of your users to change their portable music players? I'm assuming either they are complete sheep, or that they told you to mind your own business. "I declare this to everybody in my environment" - come on, don't be so pompous.

Edited by richyhu

I dont understand why they wanted to install Sonicstage in a corporate PC. Are you allowing them to lose time organizing music, instead of working? Do you, as an administrator, leave them have 4, 6, or 8 or more GB of music in the corporate PC`s? Hey, play with your music, but DONT touch anything else on your PC!!!!

At work, i work. At home, i do wathever i want on my pc.

Do you like your Sony? Why do you give them advice on returning their Sony's!?

Or just ask Sony to release the corporate walkman, for business use. :blink:

Edited by rtn

Must be a good company to work for? My employers have put so many restrictions on our pc's, there is no way I could install Sonic Stage and get away with it. Our work pc's have 10 gig hard drives, so up to 8 gigs of music would be way out of the question.

A drag & drop dap is your best bet on a work pc.

A drag & drop dap is your best bet on a work pc.

Yup, the best solution for an employee is to get a UMS DAP (like Cowon or rockboxed DAPs). No software required, less problems.

Still, I do think the OP has a valid concern. One of the reason windows environment is so vulnerable to malware is because on all home version OS up to winXP, all user are defaulted to admin (a problem that has been solved in linux and mac OS for quite some time). Vista is changing this with UAC, but then it becomes annoying and there are many compatibility problems since some programs (eg Sonicstage) require admin rights, defeating the purpose of UAC. I though if a program to get Vista certified logo, it has to be compliant with UAC.

I am a system administrator in a company. I have a windows network and all the users have limited rights. Recently some of my colleagues purchased NW-805 devices and requested the sonicstage software to be installed.

As a general rule, we are installing other softwares too, as long as those are licenced. So I have installed the sonic stage software on their computers. But it didn't work out. Because SonicStage needs "administrator rights or power user rights" on their computers.

No guys, I don't allow my users to have admin or power user rights, never. There are some other music devices in the environment such as Ipod or so and none of them have such a stupid requirements. No one can have admin rights or power user rights in my environment and I don't think any smart system admin would allow it.

I am asking now to Sony Network Admins; "How many users do you have who has administrator rights?" Can you answer me please? Silly, huh?

Now, I have uninstalled SonicStage from those PCs and adviced them to return the NW-805 devices to the shop and buy Ipod or any other thing but not a Sony device anymore. I declare this to everybody in my environment (forums, lists etc.) as well. Because I heard that all versions of SonicStage have the same requirements which an admin would never give to the users.

That seem to be a bit of over reaction. SonicStage is only need to upload music to the player and organize music library. I have in the past used my work computer to recharge my player, with absolutely no problems. I am currently running SonicStage on Windows XP Professional, and have run it on Windows 2000. Additionally, SonicStage does run on other version of XP and Vista.

It is also possible for them to copy audio files, using drag-and-drop to their media player. When they get home they can then copy them to their player. An audio jack on these work computers would also be helpful.

My employer refuses to install non-business software on any company computers, and have removed any software that did not fall into that category. So, the issue that is being address is a non-issue for me. Many other business environments are just as restrictive or even more.

It can be suspected that the logic that Sony uses is that if a user is to install SonicStage on any computer that they must have the explicit rights to do so as granted by the owner of the computer.

Wow... I didn't know you can play with corporate PC for personal use... From where I came from, people would get fired. In fact, no people can leave their work until their boss leaves, even after their work hours are over...

I guess work ethics differ from region to region.

Edited by Zizone

Wow... I didn't know you can play with corporate PC for personal use... From where I came from, people would get fired. In fact, no people can leave their work until their boss leaves, even after their work hours are over...

I guess work ethics differ from region to region.

Wow...... we have the 2 extremes here :o

Erol, why don`t you just give them advice to work, and keep them happy with theirs walkmans.