Sony Insider Forums
Another MD fanatic

Sonic Stage & Gracenote

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, sfbp said:

Simple Burner doesn't work in 64-bits, of that I am sure. Whether it works in 32-bit W7 or W10 is an issue on which I could stand being enlightened!

I was always under the impression that software designed for 32 bit will run on either 32 or 64, but 64 bit software will only run on 64 bit machines? No doubt some IT wizard is going to tell me I'm wrong but I'll wait and see. I've still got an old 32 bit Vista laptop lying around, wonder if Simple burner will run on that?

i'm pretty sure the direct access to NetMD in SB doesn't work past XP, but by all means clarify by Vista 32. I can scrape up W10 and W7 both 32 bits.

17 hours ago, sfbp said:

Simple Burner doesn't work in 64-bits, of that I am sure. Whether it works in 32-bit W7 or W10 is an issue on which I could stand being enlightened!

BTW, to follow up, the ripping by M-Crew Server (to Hi-SP, 256Kbits Atrac3+) seemed fast. I don't know if that's good, or not ;)

I have Gracenote with Simple Burner working in a 32 bit Windows XP virtual machine. Not sure about W7 and W10.

I'll definitely try that - sounds like the answer to prayer. I convinced myself that it did not work, but that was a long time ago when I was novice at 64-bits anything.

Thanks

Verrry inttteeerrrresting! But so stupid (me)....

Of course I previously gave up when I got an outright NETMDSB.EXE crash. Still the same. Knowing you had it working, on a hunch (guessing your configuration) I installed Sonic Stage Ultimate. AMAZING! Now SB doesn't crash on startup.

BTW the error you get is a xC0000005 which is Microsoft Win32-speak for a good ol' "ACCESS DENIED" error (5) under DOS and early windows versions. So I am guessing the SS install may have done not much more than set up some permissions correctly. Who cares? The SS install went smoothly enough.

So now it works just fine.

Just one small glitch had me fooled for a couple of minutes. Was resolved because I had the sound on and I heard the HiMD disconnect when I changed (CONFIG) the mode to writing NetMD. When you start the virtual machine, you will "Attach" the USB for the MD recorder via the XP Virtual Machine pulldown on the top bar. However, as pointed out (by myself and others) when you switch disks on a Hi-MD from NetMD to Hi-MD or vice-versa, it takes down the interface ("di-donk" sound) and puts up the other one with a different PID (donk-di). Unfortunately for XP Virtual it is necessary to RE-attach to the newly-presented device. Otherwise you will find the record window blank.

Another thing which surprised me was that the CD is read perfectly. Because on the same setup, I have been unable to persuade M-Crew to read the CD in my host PC's drive.

I'll report back shortly if M-Crew now works correctly - I am doubtful. Waiting for the NetMD transfer to finish. Update, M-Crew still cannot read the CD in the PC's drive. It can read the CD in a combo deck, but GraceNote is not able to get that data.

AND YESSSS - GraceNote works perfectly!

I see the main use of this is to use SonicStage (or Simple Burner) to make a HiMD disk (well, I could torture myself by using the RH1 on my main SS machine with a MDLP disk), and now transfer THIS from there to my main SS database, saving me typing in the metadata.

Thank you very much indeed.

Addendum: Simple Burner does NOT set the TrProtect flag, so I am fine transferring those files up to SonicStage in the normal way. Good stuff!

So then Stephen, let me just confirm (if I've read it right) - You've got M-Crew and Simple Burner all working along with a fully functioning Gracenote, but only in XP (or virtual XP).

I reckon that's the problem, XP seemed to be the cut-off point for a lot of things. Thinking back 10 years or so, when my XP pc gave up and I bought a Windows 7, I also had to replace my printer, external CD/DVD drive and no end of software, because none of them would run on Win 7.

Ah well, there's always the option of picking up an old XP machine I suppose, I would expect them to be pretty cheap these days.

Not quite. It's virtual XP and MCrew runs but cannot rip (at least with a "normal" deck like the 770) from CD. In any event, Gracenote which used to run has been cut off by Nielsen, its new (and greedy?) owners, for Sonic Stage only.

Sonic Stage runs fine on the host Windows 7. It also is NEEDED to run Simple Burner (though I haven't checked out why, yet) on the virtual XP. I mean virtual SS, not the one on the host machine.

I will shortly check out Windows 32 on Windows 7 and Windows 10. My expectation is that SS will run, SB will not.

Tried Windows 10

1. Have to run install program in XP-mode (usually a bad sign). Otherwise complains "not for this operating system" during install (InstallShield).
2. It now installs, and is forced to run under Administrator mode.
3. The  NETMDSB service is running, but the main window of the program never shows up

I looked in the registry and everything looks normal, scratching my head as to what's going on.

There are NO errors in the logs. Very strange.

On 7/6/2020 at 6:49 PM, sfbp said:

I'll report back shortly if M-Crew now works correctly - I am doubtful. Waiting for the NetMD transfer to finish. Update, M-Crew still cannot read the CD in the PC's drive. It can read the CD in a combo deck, but GraceNote is not able to get that data.

I remember I had problems with my CD-rom drive in my PC. M-crew couldn't read the CD. Did you choose  host drive in VM Virtual Box? I also change CD-rom for DVD-rom. Not sure what helped.

You're saying DO NOT use "DVD Drive" but install "CD-Drive"? That makes perfect sense from the ages of the various products involved.

Now I am completely confused. Can someone remind me what Upper and Lower Filters are for in the context of  CD or DVD drive? Maybe it's as simple as reinstallation, then?

I just mess a ittle bit with M-Crew and it works only with two USB ports  in my PC. Funny thing is when I use let say port A I can record form CD-rom  to MD but I don't hear anything but when I use port B I can hear music but can't record of course titles are transferd but no music.

I just tested some CD ripping on X-Appli version 6.0 and Gracenote still appears to be working when ripping CD's to Atrac 3+.

image.png

You can also change the Gracenote language settings in the options menu (so if you want English tags)

image.png

OK, dude. We're going to need detailed instructions........

Finally we all get to make the transition to the 22nd Century.

21 minutes ago, sfbp said:

OK, dude. We're going to need detailed instructions........

Finally we all get to make the transition to the 22nd Century.

Yes, I will try and put together an install guide and we can put the installer up on the downloads section if anyone is interested. Unfortunately the main UI is only in Japanese, but I can include some pointers. I was trying to find the topic, but we did have a member who did a localization of X-appli into English by modifying some of the resource files. It worked fine up until about version 1.1, but for version 2.0 and later (the final version was version 6.0 from 2016) it no longer worked and I wasn't able to track him down to follow up (this was quite a few years ago).. 

I guess the good thing about X-appli is that it works natively on Windows 10. It is still not a complete unicode-compliant app (presumably because it still has old Sonic Stage code in it), so if you install it on a non-Japanese version of Windows and want to do Kanji or Hangul titling you will need to use a locale emulator (something like this one works well). 

All sounds complicated. I do recall setting up X-Appli the last time round and then giving up when we found the 64-bit driver for NetMD.

22 minutes ago, sfbp said:

All sounds complicated. I do recall setting up X-Appli the last time round and then giving up when we found the 64-bit driver for NetMD.

It depends.. The install itself takes seconds, it's just next, next next... Then once it's installed, there are only about 2 or 3 options I ever check or change from the defaults - the main one being the import bit rate when ripping from CD's. If you are just using to import CD's and transfer them to MD, that's all you really need.