Sony Insider Forums
cybercase

The Web MiniDisc Application

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Stachu said:

Another bug. I rebooted my Mac to see if it would "reset" things, and when I connect RH1 - it's not listed in the devices list anymore. Seems like something went wrong on my Mac. Not sure what I can do now...

Ok, great! that's what I thought. A slight difference in the protocol is causing the error.

Try to wipe the minidisc using your device, that should fix the problem

Edited by cybercase
rewording

2 minutes ago, cybercase said:

Try to format the minidisc using your device, that should fix the problem

Ok I will try with a blank disk first, but stuill - I'm unable to make the device visible in the system anymore :( Is there any workaround to force Mac to see the unit again?

1 minute ago, Stachu said:

Ok I will try with a blank disk first, but stuill - I'm unable to make the device visible in the system anymore :( Is there any workaround to force Mac to see the unit again?

I guess you can switch the unit back to HiMD mode, and that should make the unit visible again on your mac.

I guess you can switch the unit back to HiMD mode, and that should make the unit visible again on your mac.

Unfortunately it didn't help. I reverted REC setting to HiMD and the unit is still not being listed in the Mac.

STUPID ME, I accidently pushed PLAY and connected it while the unit was playing music LOL. Once stopped, my Mac started to see the unit. I will now perform another test with Chrome console's errors and will drop them here :-)

STUPID ME, I accidently pushed PLAY and connected it while the unit was playing music LOL. Once stopped, my Mac started to see the unit. I will now perform another test with Chrome console's errors and will drop them here :-)

I'm glad everything's fine :) 

Thanks for the help. I'll try to see what I can do with those Chrome errors... not sure if I'll be able to solve all of them because I don't have a RH1 for testing, but I'll try.

Ok, once tried again, the situation is the same, and the same console error.

Nevertheless! It's still fantastic I can transfer records via Mac directly in SP modes ;D Can't find words of gratitude for your work - such a relief as I was forced to use an old WIndows laptop each time I wanted to transfer anything. I rarely erase MDs, still - I can do that on the unit ;-) I bet one day you'll make it work anyway ;D 

One more question: does the UI support FLAC?

10 minutes ago, Stachu said:

Ok, once tried again, the situation is the same, and the same console error.

Nevertheless! It's still fantastic I can transfer records via Mac directly in SP modes ;D Can't find words of gratitude for your work - such a relief as I was forced to use an old WIndows laptop each time I wanted to transfer anything. I rarely erase MDs, still - I can do that on the unit ;-) I bet one day you'll make it work anyway ;D 

One more question: does the UI support FLAC?

Yes, UI supports flac, mp3, wav, aiff and a bunch of other formats. I'm also planning to add alac.

By the way, this weekend I'll try to add some debug reporting to the source code, so that I might be able to fix that error.

If it's not too much trouble, I'll get back to you after I added the debug code, just to ask for the new error report in the console.

1 minute ago, cybercase said:

Yes, UI supports flac, mp3, wav, aiff and a bunch of other formats. I'm also planning to add alac.

Fantastic!

If it's not too much trouble, I'll get back to you after I added the debug code, just to ask for the new error report in the console.

That would be a pleasure of mine to contribute.

BTW, after the last attempt, I can make the unit to be visible in the HiMD mode, but once any iof standard modes is set, the unit is again not being recognized by the Mac. Not sure what did I do wrong.

2 minutes ago, Stachu said:

BTW, after the last attempt, I can make the unit to be visible in the HiMD mode, but once any iof standard modes is set, the unit is again not being recognized by the Mac. Not sure what did I do wrong.

You did nothing wrong. As far as I can get it, basically when you switch to standard mode the HiMD protocol is disabled and NetMD takes its place.

HiMD falls into the "Media devices" usb class, so the os recongnizes it and the browser can't take control of the devices. On the other hand, NetMD protocol does not fall in that category, and it's basically seen as an "unknown device" for the mac, allowing the browser to see and control that device.

Ahhh yes, you're correct - I can control it again ;D

A question: there are player's controls in the UI - but seems they don't work with the MD - when I click eg. the play button - nothing happens. Just curious...

Just now, Stachu said:

Ahhh yes, you're correct - I can control it again ;D

A question: there are player's controls in the UI - but seems they don't work with the MD - when I click eg. the play button - nothing happens. Just curious...

Well, I guess that's another "difference in the protocol" then... those buttons should tell the unit to start/stop the music playing on the device, while still connected to the computer.

5 minutes ago, Stachu said:

Hi Stachu. They work okay with my MZ-N910.

Ok I get it. One more question as it may also be an RH1-related issue:

I tested a SM MD with two albums recorded in LP2. Each Album stands for a group of songs, so that I've got 2 groups with 1 album each. But when Vieweing the MD via the web UI I can only see al records listed without groups - all at once. Is that correct?

Ok I get it. One more question as it may also be an RH1-related issue:

I tested a SM MD with two albums recorded in LP2. Each Album stands for a group of songs, so that I've got 2 groups with 1 album each. But when Vieweing the MD via the web UI I can only see al records listed without groups - all at once. Is that correct?

Yes, correct, but it's not a RH1 related issue.

When designing the app I just decided to ignore groups because it's a feature that I use rarely, and didn't want to complicate the UI too much. However, I might add them in the future if people keep asking and if I come up with a nice way to add them.

Just now, cybercase said:

When designing the app I just decided to ignore groups because it's a feature that I use rarely, and didn't want to complicate the UI too much. However, I might add them in the future if people keep asking and if I come up with a nice way to add them.

Ok so +1 from me ;D

And one more question - sorry! ;D

Does the UI support bigger brothers eg. JB980?

If I can find a USB B cable (I've got one somewhere) I can check for you.

3 minutes ago, Stachu said:

And one more question - sorry! ;D

Does the UI support bigger brothers eg. JB980?

Just now, BearBoy said:

If I can find a USB B cable (I've got one somewhere) I can check for you.

It should, because I see that the JB980 uses the same NetMD protocol.

However, as I said, I only tested with my mz-n710. Let's wait to see if BearBoy finds the usb cable :)

Can't seem to get it to work. This could well be user error though...

• I connected the MDS-JB980 to my PC via USB and pressed the NetMD button on the front panel
  • I installed the WinUSB driver
  • I opened up Stefano's Web MiniDisc app and clicked on "Connect"
  • The pop up box appears showing Net MD
  • I select Net MD and click on "Connect"
  • The pop up box disappears and "loading" comes up on the main app page
  • It then just sits there displaying "loading" - I've waited about 5 minutes and am assuming that means it's not going to connect successfully

Am I missing a step somewhere Stefano?

Just now, BearBoy said:

Can't seem to get it to work. This could well be user error though...

• I connected the MDS-JB980 to my PC via USB and pressed the NetMD button on the front panel
  • I installed the WinUSB driver
  • I opened up Stefano's Web MiniDisc app and clicked on "Connect"
  • The pop up box appears showing Net MD
  • I select Net MD and click on "Connect"
  • The pop up box disappears and "loading" comes up on the main app page
  • It then just sits there displaying "loading" - I've waited about 5 minutes and am assuming that means it's not going to connect successfully

Am I missing a step somewhere Stefano?

Nothing missing... I guess it's still the same error that Stachu found in the console.

Is the minidisc you put in the JB980 a blank one? If not, would you try with a blank minidisc? I fear it's something related to track titling.

The disc wasn't a blank one - it was the one I had been using with your app in my MZ-N910.

I'll try with a blank disc.

Regarding track titling - I transferred a WAV file that was Björk's song, and the file used "ö" in the file name. Thus, it was also transferred with "ö" and when I opened that on Win laptop and SonicStage - all those tracks containg "ö" in titles have strange characters in their titles. Maybe it's a good idea to add a rule that all latin-extended xharacters would be converted to basic latin characters on transfer?

Just now, Stachu said:

Regarding track titling - I transferred a WAV file that was Björk's song, and the file used "ö" in the file name. Thus, it was also transferred with "ö" and when I opened that on Win laptop and SonicStage - all those tracks containg "ö" in titles have strange characters in their titles. Maybe it's a good ise do add a rule that all latin-extended xharacters would be converted to basic latin characters on transfer?

Oh, good to know. I'll definitely add that rule.

So I wiped the MiniDisc I was using and ejected it (so the TOC would get updated). Re-inserted the MD and tried again but got the same outcome (i.e. it just shows "loading" but does not connect).