My Headphone experience

Rate this topic

Ascariss

Well, I started with regular headphones that came with my discman. I believe the ones that came with the discman were the MDR-E805.

http://publish.it168.com/2004/0514/images/166653.jpg

Best picture I could find, but I am sure you guys know how they look like. Well I never liked them (not confortable), so I decided to get some other ones. I went for some 20 dollar ones. I was new to the music player game back then, so I picked up something along the lines of the MDR-E818, but there was no silver on the side of the phones, all black. Those eventually broke, and I got a new pair, actual MDR-E818s. Once I picked up my MZ-N10, I also got some crappy 'phones. The MDR-E805, they came with the unit, it was an instore display model, last one, seeing as I got almost 80 bucks off the price and then another 40 off for 3 years warrenty, I didn't complain. Well, I used my cruddy and trusty old MDR-E818s until I got sick and tired of them last week.

I was going to pick up some MDR-E828LPs but didn't like the design since they would keep falling out like the 818s. I strictly avoided any 'phones with volume control on them, since i have my remote, so that would be pointless.

I wanted to buy some MDR-E931s or mdr-e888lps. Well haven't seen these sold anywhere in vancouver individually, I know that one set comes with the flash players, plus I didn't want to buy off the net.

So I went nuts, and decided to go and buy some new MDR-EX71SL. Well at first, the medium sized ones were not that confortable, but the smaller sized inserts are perfect. One, they stay in my ears no matter how I move my head, and they sound amazing, the old 'phones can't even compare. Hopefully I can provide a full out review of them, once I have gotten accustomed to them, and eventually when my new NW-A3000 arrives. :ol_biggrin:

Edited by Ascariss

Well I've been using them one week now and all I can say is bravo on the sound quality sony. Wasn't expecting to keep getting better as I kept listening to them, but apparently tey do. :ol_biggrin:

Of course like all things, they are not perfect sadly.

the right ear cable is too long and the left one is too short, and you can't adjust them, sony needs to seriously think about why people would need such a huge cord around the back of their neck.

The fit is great and they feel confortable all day. The extension cord is good, but either it is too long for me, or too short. lol but that is personal.

so far they have faired well in the toughness dept. and the little carrying pouch that came with the phones is perfect to store the extension cord and the phones. The plastic carrying case/holder thingy is useless in my opinion and seriously isn't needed if you ask me. Unlike other headphone I have used, when I turn up the volume the sound remains clear and distinct even with heavy bass.

With the EQ even turned off on my MD, they still sound great, but I generally use them all the time with the the EQ turned on. My friend got the exact same pair for his ipod, bu they are white. He swears by the sound quality and I can now see why.

One good aspect and bad at the same time is the almost complete cut off of outside noise when using them, for one, you don't hear people talking on the bus or wherever, but then when you are listening to them, they are a no no when talking to people.

One peculiar thing I've noticed is that when walking when it is quite windy, there is a slight whistling sound in the phones, it isn't very apparent, but it has to be strong wind, which is a slight problem at my uni during this time of the year.

I've tried them with my PC and the sound is great, complete isolation from the outside, rather nice to use for sound editing of songs and mixes.

I am glad they have lived up to my expectations, because at 90 bucks, they better be. I would advise shopping around the net for a better price, I haven't seen these anywhere except the sony store in vancouver and as always they charge a premium, 90 bucks with taxes in this case. If you seriously want some great 'phones check these out, I know some people have complained about the build quality with wires fraying and buds dying, but I have a hunch these people are not treating their phones with care, if you want to chuck your phones around get a cheap pair, not expensive ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like shopping online since I want the ability to return things to a physical locaiton nor at A&B sound (all my shopping experiences there were negative all the time), and I don't like the design of the EX81's. the 71s is what i wanted.

Futureshop didn't have them either, since I was at 3 locations. And at best buy the only ones I saw were Sony ex81s which were white, and I didn't want white, plus they were 89 bucks with no taxes, or 102 with tax. I paid 90 with taxes for mine.

The source by CC (radioshack blows for electronics) and london drugs didn't have them either.

Minidisc canada have the, but it's 10 bucks less, add tax and shipping and it would come out almost the same, but I would have to wait for them to get here, and if I wanted to return them, I would have to send them back, if mine bust, all I do is go to the sony store, no ifs or buts.

Edited by Ascariss

how can you actually return them if you've taken them out of the packaging and tried them? Do you really get that much more of an idea from seeing them through the package compared to seeing them on the internet, to the point you are willing to pay more? I suppose you dont really save that much in your case, But for my rm-mc40elk remote, the sony shops in the uk were selling it for 100 pounds or 150 us dollars, i got it from audiocubes,com for a lot less.

how can you actually return them if you've taken them out of the packaging and tried them? Do you really get that much more of an idea from seeing them through the package compared to seeing them on the internet, to the point you are willing to pay more? I suppose you dont really save that much in your case, But for my rm-mc40elk remote, the sony shops in the uk were selling it for 100 pounds or 150 us dollars, i got it from audiocubes,com for a lot less.

Return them if they bust is the key point in the last sentence, not return them because I didn't like them, I have already used my friends before so I wanted to buy them regardless. If one of the earpieces stop working or something, I can just get them exchanged at the sony store in person, and not have to send them back.

Unlike in the UK, prices here in stores vs online are usually the same, since the market for electronics in canada is not as large say compared to the US or in the UK.

• 3 weeks later...

the right ear cable is too long and the left one is too short, and you can't adjust them, sony needs to seriously think about why people would need such a huge cord around the back of their neck.

Too right. The same with my MDR-EX51SL.

I loop the long right side through the plastic capsule thing which makes it a little shorter and keeps the capsule handy to pack the buds into when I get to work.

Also noticed that the medium and small inserts really change the sound dynamics with the medium being very bassy while the small are much more natural (same effect with the MDR-NX1s)

• 3 weeks later...

I really hate neckband cords too, the shorter side cartries all of the weight of the cord making them uncomfortable and also pulling it out of your ear. The only advantage of a neckband is when you don't actually have them in your ears you can hang them around your neck. Other than that i don't see why so many earphones force it upon us.

• 4 weeks later...

The only advantage of a neckband is when you don't actually have them in your ears you can hang them around your neck. Other than that i don't see why so many earphones force it upon us.

This is the main rewason I buy them, if Sony stopped I'd have to look elsewhere! I'm always taking the buggers out when I'm out and about so I need to be able to hang them round my neck.

What annoys me is seeing people with the long bit in front rather than behind their heads - dullards.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the EX71SL and I have to admit that the sound is great, though the high frequencies might be a bit enchanced... Sadly, the cable is realy made with bad quality plastic. It feels great to the touch but it's not durable. I accidentaly slept with the earphones on and the result is that now the right earphone cord is naked since it started peeling off. In addition, when the cord is touching the clothes, you can actually hear the scratching sound.

Anyway, I have decided to not buy Sony products and tried out a pioneer set. Not the best experience. And then one other. To cut a long story short, I have bought the EX81SL since I found nothing to match the sound quality at this price range. I don't like the design (I prefer the EX71SL's) but the cord (at least here in Japan) is of different plastic! So I will give it a go. Sound quality is great and I'm optimistic!

• 3 weeks later...

I really hate neckband cords too, the shorter side cartries all of the weight of the cord making them uncomfortable and also pulling it out of your ear. The only advantage of a neckband is when you don't actually have them in your ears you can hang them around your neck. Other than that i don't see why so many earphones force it upon us.

If you have an old handsfree earpiece [obviously not a cordless-bluetooth one!!!] then whip off the clip and use this to carry the weight of headphone cable -- also stops cable from flapping too much!!

mal.

• 3 months later...

I like neck-chain style earphones. Apart from hanging them around my neck when I need to talk/listen to someone, they're easy to hide with my long hair. Unless you lifted up my hair, you wouldn't be able to tell if I had earphones in my ears or not!

• 5 months later...

the entire cable between the ear buds is fine, the part that busted apparently is where it enters into the soft silicone tube on the ear bud, the long tube i mean, it feels flimsy on one ear bud while normal and stiff on the other. i'll have to do with the phones that came with my a series. XD

About the only time 'neckband' cabling ever proved useful for me was on phones where it was supplied such as on MDR-V series stuff and others.

The big diff being..

1. They have even length cables past the split point (where the two sets of two-core on the one cable pair divide) - hence avoiding the bud uneven cables issues/

2. The cable is substantially tough, real tough.

Great for relaxed listening, great config for when you wanna drop the cans off your ears and leave em dangling.. such as to answer the phone.

Downside..., and i bet even DJ's have done this before, you sometimes forget they are there when they are dangling.. and if you forget and walk away too quick from what they are plugged into, you get a nasty shock as the phones shoot up and whack yer neck... ;)

*hangs head in shame, having nearly strangled self more than once that way*

'Tom Kat'

doe any-one here have experiences with the sennheiser HD 25-1 in combination with a sony walkman,

say nw-a1200/1000???

I use them frequently in the radio studio, but have not had the oppertunity to test them with a walkman, for a longer period...

thx in advance

greetz

Hey... another cool dude radio peep...??

At a rough guess, i reckon there's plainly and simply a meaty enough amp in the A series to drive the HD model phones - you may have to run the output up a bit higher, but that would be about the norm with heavier duty cans.

The Sen's i use (EH2200's) do ok on the A3000, enough drive to run those - and likewise the Medusa 5.1 cans (using inline 2-channel adaptor lead.. so the phones become 2-channel multi-driver cans) worked out nicely... but they were struggling a bit as in that config they need quite a bit of drive to bring em to life.

If you aint an EQ user, and find the output level (turned up sufficiently to drive preferred cans, without hitting distortion etc or stressing out the amp) to be lacking, i'd suggest that if the cans have an inline vol control, then connect the phones to the phones out on the A series and switch the A series's output setting to LINE.

You lose the EQ, and on player vol control, but there's then a nice little boost that ensures the player can drive some of the more meaty and heavy-duty cans.

'Tom Kat'

Edited by JustAnUnCoolCat

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting tidbit, the new EX71s i just picked up have completely different materials for the cables. the quality is way better than my previous set, with the covering more harder and less rubbery. I guess sony realized more than average returns or breaks prompted a change in production.