These speakers good for Hi-MD?

Rate this topic

RobA

I'm looking to get some speakers for my mznh600d and was looking at the GPX SPK1805 http://gpx.com/shop_ind.php?id=%20%20143

Look good? What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with them?

Mods, feel free to move this thread if you feel this question is better in a different section of the forum.

No experience with them specifically but just knowing the GPX brand and that the item specs just lists dimensions, I would stay away. That is unless you like tinny sounding speakers.

Edited by KrazyIvan

...though you should listen to the combination first...

It's even more of a problem here in Europe, where the portable devices are capped so they leave out a lower signal than computers and are not even able to drive some computer speakers. I have some flat speakers for when viewing DVD's in hotel rooms while travelling, using my portable PC. A minidisc just barely makes a noticable sound from those speakers...

without wanting to brag :P I have (very small) harman/kardon-speakers mounted in my (humongeous) portable PC... it makes listening to music at work sound so much better...still I could use a subwoofer as they can't really handle bass (but the standalone models do!)

hmm... "Harman Kardon"? I think I read about Toshiba putting them into their media laptops. I don't know if my laptop (Tecra S-series) has them though (wasn't on any documentation I've read... probably not one of the more important selling points of it) they look similar and do sound great. A friend who had a Toshiba Satellite series did mention that hers sounded crap at similar volumes with her mp3s.

... I would imagine them to be expensive without any research into it.

In short there are better computer and portable speakers with amplifiers out there for a reasonable price to not have to compromise much.

... But if you're looking into portable speakers... ability to pack them without losing much space could be a problem given current design trends for computer speakers - only some are designed with laptop use in mind.

The harman/kardons I have are full frequency range, stand about 10" high, and cost about $20. I can't find a model number, but they've got a nice, hour-glass shape. Simple design, great sound, about 5W per channel. I believe they used to be part of a Dell order. Other computer speakers sound like crap to me, especially laptop speakers. Now, the h/k don't compete with my hand-made 500W towers, but for the size they can't be beat.

Cheers

I recently was looking for travel speakers for my MD player/computer/guitar. I found at Radio Shack a pair of speakers for $19.99 under the Presidian brand. It takes four AAA batteries. The sound is quite good for 20 bucks descent bass respectively. Nothing to blow you socks-off but pretty good. It is designed for the I-pod but you can us any player. I really like the sound from Harmon Kardon speakers that sell for $40-$50 USD. Good tonal balance and soundstage. Bass is real not forced and not too bloated. I personally like Creative Labs speakers especially the ones Cambridge Soundworks designed. I bought a pair about 9 years ago for $40 and I really have found any comp speaker sound as good as them for even 6x the amount. I do own a pair from Cambridge Soundworks I paid $250 10 yrs. ago that really sound good. In short for the money Creative Labs or Harmon Kardon you can't go wrong especially for under $80.

:lol: I never said 'good'... but I've upgraded from a 'very low priced-windows Me installed-crapalicious-toshiba' to a HP. I know, not A+ for media uses, but for DVD I've got a BIG screen Lowe and a real DVD player and at home I still prefer music through a decent stereo (and often headphones as my g-friend doens't really like my taste in music) but for work use it is 'pretty ok' in my book