Opinions on Sony MDR-EX71SL vs. Sennheisser PX-100 ?

Rate this topic

burns3016

Hi ! Just purchased my 3rd Hi-MD unit (via massive sale at Minidisc Australia) & picked up the MZ-NH900 for $199.00, after earlier purchasing the MZ-NHF800 & the MZ-NH600. I am very pleased with all 3 models, especially the NH900. However, up to now I have been using two sets of headphones:

1. SONY Streetstyle: MDR-G56 (the type that wrap around the back of your head).

2. SONY MDR-E828 bud-style phones.

I want to upgrade (although the MDR-E828's provide a sound that I'm reasonably OK with) to take advantage of the HD-digital amplifier in the MZ-NH900. I've been considering 2 different sets:

1. Sennheisser PX-100

2. SONY MDR-EX71SL

I have heard great things about both sets, and I know they both sell for approx. $100 Aust. So , is there anybody out there with some advice or experience with both &/or either set ?

Update on my headphones situation: I just got a hold of a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-CM7 by accident. Does anybody have an opinion on these earphones ? I will give them a go & post an opinion. Also, i think I will go with the Senn.PX-100 as an upgrade if the Audi-Technica do not satisfy me.

Many thanxz jrhughes, MDGB2 & sebastianbf !

Edited by burns3016

I have had the Sennheiser PX-100 for some time. They are very comfortable, but the low end is rather too overblown for me. Bass is far too loose and things generally sound "distant". After some research, I went for the PX-200 and I think they are perfect - for the price - as long as a) they are seated quite low-down on the ears and B) they are run-in for a while. Lovely, tight, deep bass and well balanced mid/highs. I am so pleased with them that I got a second pair. Just in case.

I also have the Sony EX71SL. I can't wear "normal" earbuds since one of my ears lacks the recess for the bud to sit in. I thought I'd give these canal-type phones a go, to see if they'd stay in. well, they do, and they sound good. Overly shrill at first, but that is improving as they are running-in. Bass is very powerful - sometimes a little too powerful for my liking - and is highly dependant on the fitting within the ear. That is, make sure they are in properly and that you're using the correct silicone plug for your ear canal size.

Cheers,

Jason.

I think i'm gonna buy a pir of px200. about the mdrex71's ... had a pair of those and they're very fragile. The cable is made from some kind of soft rubber instead of plastic. Had to send mine for an exchange (because of defective cable) and I'm still waiting for an answer. Wish me luck!

Firstly, thanx heaps for the opinions jrhughes, MDGB2 & sebastianbf !

Now an update on my headphone situation:

I just got a hold of a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-CM7 by accident. Does anybody have an opinion on these earphones ? I will give them a go & post an opinion. Also, i think I will go with the Senn.PX-100 as an upgrade if the Audi-Technica do not satisfy me.

Many thanxz jrhughes, MDGB2 & sebastianbf !

small question for the more knowledgable here on MDCF: as human hearing doesn't reach far above 20kHz nor far under 20Hz, what good does such a frequency range do?? Is it just complete sales-bull or is there a reason for a wider range than one can actually hear? And how "trustworthy" are those ranges given on product pages...I mean, who checks that stuff... or could we actually use it as an argument when shopping around?

Disclaimer: I do not say these are bad phones (I do not know them actually) and honestly the ones I use (Panasonic RP-JE50) are rated as 6-23k Hz, which could be just as pointless

small question for the more knowledgable here on MDCF: as human hearing doesn't reach far above 20kHz nor far under 20Hz, what good does such a frequency range do?? Is it just complete sales-bull or is there a reason for a wider range than one can actually hear? And how "trustworthy" are those ranges given on product pages...I mean, who checks that stuff... or could we actually use it as an argument when shopping around?

Disclaimer: I do not say these are bad phones (I do not know them actually) and honestly the ones I use (Panasonic RP-JE50) are rated as 6-23k Hz, which could be just as pointless

Even if some of these extreme responses were true, we wouldn't hear it anyway. Some claim we could 'feel' some of these 'out of range' responses unconsciously, but personally i'm not one of those believers.

Without specifying a norm or tolerance the frequency range specification is totally pointless. It could be +-20dB. With a tight tolerance of say 1-3dB it could be much narrower. Besides, it doesn't tell anything about linearity/neutrality.

Question: How would you define the upper and lower frequency in this extreme example of non-linear response? What looks better --- 200-2000Hz +-3dB -- or -- 20-20000Hz without specifying the tolerance?

[attachmentid=1327]

What about this one?

[attachmentid=1328]

post-6863-1137857944_thumb.jpg

post-6863-1137858802_thumb.jpg

Edited by greenmachine

It's the same as with musical instruments: Never buy without trying. If you can't, try to find some reviews/opinions at least. Ignore the specifications to a great part. Even 2$ earphones are often rated with a 20-20000Hz response, and you know how they sound in reality, don't you?

thanks greenmachine... I somewhat figured you'd contribute to this thread :lol:

this kinda confirms my suspicions, don't believe the hype :P

no really, I wished there was some 'standardisation' in specs and also a good guide for eager shoppers to teach them (and me) what to look for. It simply isn't always possible to try before buying... Belgium simply isn't good for electronics so I'm often buying from the net based on reviews/tips

same as me. reviews on the internet are very subjetives tough. When i bought the mdr-ex71 I read reviews on many web pages, almost all of them were: vety good earphones...yata yata yata. When I got them, i was very dissapointed, i was expecting a much better sound. So, the thing with headphones reviews is that many people that write the reviews are used to ear their electronics audio devices with stock buds, so when they hear something like ex71's the difference is tremendous, so they give to them 4-5 stars. ummm

same as me. reviews on the internet are very subjetives tough. When i bought the mdr-ex71 I read reviews on many web pages, almost all of them were: vety good earphones...yata yata yata. When I got them, i was very dissapointed, i was expecting a much better sound. So, the thing with headphones reviews is that many people that write the reviews are used to ear their electronics audio devices with stock buds, so when they hear something like ex71's the difference is tremendous, so they give to them 4-5 stars. ummm

I can only speak for the PX100s, but I think they are tremendous both in terms of sound quality and value for money.

I had to wait a while for mine because at the time I ordered them they were allegedly in short supply due to "unprecedented demand".

They were, however worth the wait.

Plenty of bottom-end (others have said possibly a tad too much!) but I set all my MD players, etc to "flat EQ" (ie no bass enhancement or whatever) and the result suits my hearing perfectly.

And they are so light that it is easy to forget you are wearing phones (this can be dangerous if you are plugged in to your amp, and you stand up too quickly ... :rolleyes: ).

Oh by the way, this is before "burning in" ha ha ha ... !!!! :P

thanks greenmachine... I somewhat figured you'd contribute to this thread :lol:

this kinda confirms my suspicions, don't believe the hype :P

no really, I wished there was some 'standardisation' in specs and also a good guide for eager shoppers to teach them (and me) what to look for. It simply isn't always possible to try before buying... Belgium simply isn't good for electronics so I'm often buying from the net based on reviews/tips

Detailed and accurate frequency response graphs could be a rough orientation point, but how many headphones did you see with such graphs on the cover? Exactly.

the sony 8x8 series had the graphs but if i recall correctly they didn't have much detail on the axis, creating a pretty picture, not a statement proved through plotted points.

i have always doubted if most phones can even get close to reproducing the stated freq.s - i mean who'd know? my theory is it's like a speedo on a car, how many entry level hatchbacks do you see hitting 240kms/hour on the street?

WOW! I've just looked at the audiotechnica earphones specs. They look amazing to me man! Freq. response from 10 to 45000 !! Where did you get them? and what about the price? . I would love to have that kind of "accidents". lol . Post a mini review of them in here, please!

Thanxz for your interest sebastianbf. A friend got me a pair from eBay from a store called AVNetShop. Here is the link to the winning bid with an item description:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

They were purchased for $5.04 (Australian dollars AU) plus $5.00 postage! Good price ! The bidding started at 0.99c AU and generally a pair would sell for approx. $30 - $50 AU $. So a $5.05 AU $ bid would be placed each time in the hope that a pair would "slip-through" the bidding-net. And they did ! It took about twenty bids at that price until it happened. It just as likely may have never happened, but call it luck, it did. The seller probably wasn't too happy though !

This particular seller usually sells a few at auction and also has a few pair for sale at $69.00 Australian dollars. Here is the link for a "buy-it-now" option:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-Audio-Tec...3QQcmdZViewItem

Also, here is the store link: http://stores.ebay.com.au/The-AVnetshop

As to a review, I have not used them much at all. But what I have heard sounds encouraging. They appear to have a very clear sound, with well-defined bass (not that bloated type sound) and the highs etc. are not distorted at high volumes, nor have I experienced any "ringning" at higher volume levels.

I will update my findings. Perhaps this so-called "burn-in" will improve them with age, like a good wine ?