The future of Mini disc

Rate this topic

GQ Smooth

Hi, everyone. Need some advice/ your thoughts. My computer crashed recently, so I wasn't able to use/upload my ipod. It got me thinking of my dependance on the computer for my ipod. I still kept a mini disc player(MZ N505, and the Hi MD, which I used to transfer vinyl onto my ipod) But my ipod was my no1. After said crash, I decided to see what new developments had ocured in the MD world, and I saw the MZ RH1. I've sold my ipod,and have ordered the RH1. Today on way home from work, I wondered if I've made the right decision. If the mini disc is phrased out, I'll have a out of date expensive portable audio, when I could have had an MP3 player.What do y'all think the futre of MD will be, and have I made a bad decision. Maybe by asking in an MD forum means I know the answers I'll get :D so please try and answer honestly. Appreciate any advice/replies. thanks.:)

Its just personal preference I guess...

All I'm going to suggest is get a 'RM-MC40ELK' for you'r RH1, The player has a limited screen display.

1 line on the unit and ships with a 1 line remote...

http://minidisco.com/rm-mc40elk.html

Daniel, good advice. I'll also need a carrying case. Any ideas?? Any thoughts on the future of MD??

Its just personal preference I guess...

All I'm going to suggest is get a 'RM-MC40ELK' for you'r RH1, The player has a limited screen display.

1 line on the unit and ships with a 1 line remote...

http://minidisco.com/rm-mc40elk.html

Yes definitely! You really need the 40ELK or you will be very unpleased with your RH1 coming from something like an ipod. If I were you, coming from a player-only HD device like an ipod, I would've gone for something like the RH10 (more player oriented, but still has recording features, and it is much cheaper and has a 6 line display + jog dial on unit).

Edited by RobA

Yes definitely! You really need the 40ELK or you will be very unpleased with your RH1 coming from something like an ipod. If I were you, coming from a player-only HD device like an ipod, I would've gone for something like the RH10 (more player oriented, but still has recording features, and it is much cheaper and has a 6 line display + jog dial on unit).

Not thought about that. Is it easy to get the RH10? Also can you transfer from Hi-MD to Library( with the RH1 I know you can, especially with old net MD tapes!)

Daniel, Thanks again. You not in market for RH1??

Note:

There is alot of opinions expressed here about the future of MD,

Just thats not the topic theme! lol

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=14295

Daniel, Thanks again. You not in market for RH1??

The RH1 is abit expensive for me! lol

I'm about a year old to minidisc started in the Hi-MD format in august with my NH1 fell inlove with the format, don't want to leave...

So I don't have and NetMD discs to upload, besides that my NH1 does everthing I would use the RH1 for...

lol, the only reason I would get another player is for backup player purpose..

If I lived alone it woulden't be a problem just its the other people in the house who are careless - my family - they have already spilt grape pop over some of my discs, imagin if that was my player! GULP!!!! lol

Anyway enough of my rambleings...

Edited by danielbb90

Hi, everyone. Need some advice/ your thoughts. My computer crashed recently, so I wasn't able to use/upload my ipod. It got me thinking of my dependance on the computer for my ipod. I still kept a mini disc player(MZ N505, and the Hi MD, which I used to transfer vinyl onto my ipod) But my ipod was my no1. After said crash, I decided to see what new developments had ocured in the MD world, and I saw the MZ RH1. I've sold my ipod,and have ordered the RH1. Today on way home from work, I wondered if I've made the right decision. If the mini disc is phrased out, I'll have a out of date expensive portable audio, when I could have had an MP3 player.What do y'all think the futre of MD will be, and have I made a bad decision. Maybe by asking in an MD forum means I know the answers I'll get :D so please try and answer honestly. Appreciate any advice/replies. thanks.:)

Honestly, I have an old 15-year-old MZ-E20 and it works perfectly. If your RH-1 lasts as long as mine, be sure you don't have to worry about your purchase. Minidisc is far superior to the i-pod so you've done a good buy. As for the remote, it is true that the rh-1 displays not much information and the commented remote would be a solution. If you like having a 6 line display, you'd better think of changing your rh-1 for a rh-10. Take into account, nevertheless, that the construction of the rh-1 is said to be superb and the recording is better than the rh-1 one and so the playback.

regards

Honestly, I have an old 15-year-old MZ-E20 and it works perfectly. If your RH-1 lasts as long as mine, be sure you don't have to worry about your purchase. Minidisc is far superior to the i-pod so you've done a good buy. As for the remote, it is true that the rh-1 displays not much information and the commented remote would be a solution. If you like having a 6 line display, you'd better think of changing your rh-1 for a rh-10. Take into account, nevertheless, that the construction of the rh-1 is said to be superb and the recording is better than the rh-1 one and so the playback.

regards

How difficult is it too get the rh10? The RH1 is expensive(£204 from askdirect) Just want a quality player. I liked the Ipod, but mini disc sounds so much better :D

How difficult is it too get the rh10? The RH1 is expensive(£204 from askdirect) Just want a quality player. I liked the Ipod, but mini disc sounds so much better :D

Keep in mind if you want to upload your NetMD recordings, it is ONLY possible on the rh1.

The RH10 is easily available and for much less $250. You can find it for under $200 if you look hard enough on ebay. I found a site here: http://focuscamera.com/sc/main_item.asp?id...date=06_15_2006 selling it for $225 with free shipping. Good luck!

Edited by RobA

If the mini disc is phrased out, I'll have a out of date expensive portable audio, when I could have had an MP3 player.What do y'all think the futre of MD will be, and have I made a bad decision. Maybe by asking in an MD forum means I know the answers I'll get :D so please try and answer honestly. Appreciate any advice/replies. thanks.:)

1) define your needs

2) investigate Hi-MD weaknesses and strengths

3) ascertain whether the Hi-MD format meets your needs and/or budget

4) don't worry about anything else

Stopping production of a product in no way influences your product's usefulness, or its ability to meet your needs (unless you can't find Hi-MD/MD blanks (or can't find them cheaply enough).

Nothing lasts forever. Nothing.

On top of that, every year the market is flooded with new models of this and that. Some better, some worse. But overall going in a direction some call progress (or not). With the interoperability of USB devices (or at least, limited interoperability) and 'physical' format abstraction (coming from the fact that every man and his dog is making USB devices with embedded non-user-replaceable batteries and flash/HDs - which can break down and need replacement like any other physical product in this world), I would think these are the most important things to worry about:

Avoiding UnFairPlay DRM

Avoiding Plays For Sure DRM

Avoiding ALL DRM.

If you're anal

(and don't care for this 'save-storage/bandwidth-and-butcher-the-audio' let's-go-backwards-to-save-space-philosophy)

Avoid all lossy compression.

Avoid all lossy transcoding operations

(...do I hear a collective 'ewwwwww'?)

Last but not least

Backing up your music/ sounds/ whatever library on CD/DVD/whatever.

No matter which device you own or care to own in future (and the almost-certain fact is that it's just a matter of time before you upgrade) - you will always have your music no matter what device comes out - assuming you make good decisions about file formats - so who cares, right?

Hi-MD? iPod? Cowon iAudio? Samsung? Creative?

May the best portable(s) (that meets your needs) win - now and in the future.

Edited by tekdroid

I don't think lifespan is that bigger issue, especially with MO discs.

Hell, there are 25 year old audio cassettes in our house that still play (sound like a scolded cat, but still work damnit! :P )

My oldest MDs are still in the same nick they were after I recorded them, 9 years ago now. Only snag is if the swines ever stop making players/units. Only then will I upgrade/change.

B)

Edited by MDGB2

Daniel, good advice. I'll also need a carrying case. Any ideas??

Listen, I've tried several carrying cases and the best one that I've found is this one

http://www.minidiscaccess.com/item.html?PRID=44181

efinitely the best to carry your md's and your recorder. In my case I use MD's in the car so it is perfect to put it next to me and to plug it into the aux input of my car radio.. excellent advice on the remote. I'm going to acquire one as well.ç

Regards