Upgrading Sonicstage 3.4 --> 4.0

Rate this topic

fatmuttony

I have SS 3.4 installed, and I plan to shift to SS 4.0 at the end of the month. However, I don't want to lost my library. I will back it up, and try to restore it. Is there anything else that I should do to prepare to change from 3.4 to 4.0?

I already have:

1) Backup my SS library and save to a different disk to restore after 4.0 installation.

2) Uninstall 3.4 before installing 4.0.

Anything else? Any registry cleaning or manual deletions necessary before installing 4.0?

Just don't be surprised if you see a blue screen or two. I just did this upgrade on one of my PCs not too long ago (actually it may have been from v3.3 to v4.0) and I got a BSOD after rebooting when the installation finished. For whatever reason, this always seems to happen when I upgrade SS. Luckily when I opened SonicStage after restarting the machine again, all the tracks were in my library, and they could still be played and transferred. Of course, I did a backup before upgrading anyway.

Any particular reason you want to upgrade? Apparantly there are no real advantages for MD users and if 3.4 does the job why bother. If it aint broke, don't fix it :lol:

From what I understand SS 4.0 in combination with the RH1 achieves higher transfer speeds, is that correct? I really don't need SS 4.0 for legacy upload because I'm a Hi-MD era user. So, if the higher transfer speeds is not true, then I won't be upgrading I guess.

Just don't be surprised if you see a blue screen or two. I just did this upgrade on one of my PCs not too long ago (actually it may have been from v3.3 to v4.0) and I got a BSOD after rebooting when the installation finished. For whatever reason, this always seems to happen when I upgrade SS. Luckily when I opened SonicStage after restarting the machine again, all the tracks were in my library, and they could still be played and transferred. Of course, I did a backup before upgrading anyway.

What's a BSOD?

And, if I may ask, why did you choose to upgrade?

From what I understand SS 4.0 in combination with the RH1 achieves higher transfer speeds, is that correct? I really don't need SS 4.0 for legacy upload because I'm a Hi-MD era user. So, if the higher transfer speeds is not true, then I won't be upgrading I guess.

What's a BSOD?

And, if I may ask, why did you choose to upgrade?

If you are using the RH1 the higher transfer speeds should be available with the "special" version of 3.4 that shipped with the RH1 that contains the new drivers (not with the standard 3.4) and with 4.0.

BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death - a common name for those annoying "Stop" errors that crash the OS in Windows.

My PC suffered from BSOC from time to time when I transfer MP3s to my MD player... Now it is even better--SonicStage (version 3.4) refuses to transfer MP3 for no reason.

I am thinkiing of ditching SonicStage from my machine but if 4.0 is any better than 3.4, I like to give it a chance.

If you are using the RH1 the higher transfer speeds should be available with the "special" version of 3.4 that shipped with the RH1 that contains the new drivers (not with the standard 3.4) and with 4.0.

BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death - a common name for those annoying "Stop" errors that crash the OS in Windows.

Either way, i have to upgrade from my MDCF downloaded SS 3.4. Would you recommend one over the other? Or is the same whether I upgrade to the SS 3.4 that came with the RH1 or the SS 4.0?

Also, any more things I should be doing beforehand (other than what I mentioned in the initial post)?

THanks for your help Richyhu.

If your tracks are all non-protected (DRM free), I don't see anything to worry about. The main concern in the past when upgrading Sonicstage is your library not being recognized due to the draconian copy protection. However, now that we have no DRM on self-ripped tracks, it's not an issue anymore. Still, for non-RH1 HiMD use, staying with 3.4 is fine.

• 2 weeks later...