Sony Mzn510

Rate this topic

gabgar

The other day I started talking with some co-workers of mine who all have pretty much bought either an Itouch, Ipod classic, and zune and of course I brought up the minidisc and how I think it just sounds better...

One of my co-workers said that she had bought one years back but hardly used it. She said that since I was a fan, maybe she would give it to me.

So she brought in the other day, it was a Sony MZN510 in very good like new condition. I asked how much she wanted it for it and she said 15.00.

So I bought it and i got 2 blank minidisc. She also said that she had some more blank minidiscs, still waiting for them.

Anyway, in all honesty , I like it very much since it uses the AA battery. I sure could use this in long trips.

510/610/710/810 is a very nice series, though as you point out it's arguable that the 510/610 has the edge because of AA. NiMH is still available, though. The hard thing to find seems to be LiIon batteries for HiMD recorders that use them.

Get yourself a spare remote (there's a guide here to compatibility) if/while they are still available. Seems like they may be disappearing from Ebay.

Also remember that once you used SS to put things on a minidisc for the 510, presumably at LP2 (SP won't be any better in this respect), this is a one-way deal. The quality isn't good enough to archive, even if it sounds ok. And you won't get it off there ever again except with an MDLP deck (and then maybe not even all MDLP decks). Even the RH1 won't let you upload those tracks, and frankly you don't really want to do that from a lossy codec like LP2.

510/610/710/810 is a very nice series, though as you point out it's arguable that the 510/610 has the edge because of AA. NiMH is still available, though. The hard thing to find seems to be LiIon batteries for HiMD recorders that use them.

Get yourself a spare remote (there's a guide here to compatibility) if/while they are still available. Seems like they may be disappearing from Ebay.

Also remember that once you used SS to put things on a minidisc for the 510, presumably at LP2 (SP won't be any better in this respect), this is a one-way deal. The quality isn't good enough to archive, even if it sounds ok. And you won't get it off there ever again except with an MDLP deck (and then maybe not even all MDLP decks). Even the RH1 won't let you upload those tracks, and frankly you don't really want to do that from a lossy codec like LP2.

Thanks for the info. Well , I mainly bought this for playback purposes and when if I do get a chance on getting my hands on an RH1 (mz200) well I could use for stationary and using this for playback.

By the way, I have a few MD's that were recorded in analog from my Sony DVP-S7000 to the MDS-JB930 and it sounds very good on this portable with my Sennheiser PX100. Would I notice any thing of better quality if I record in Digital? (optical cable).

Thanks

Typically you don't notice any inbuilt compression flaws at all on portables. I would think that optical in to the 930 would be the best way to record off of a DVD or CD (there doesn't exist a way to rip CD's in SP except via one of their combo decks, and who knows what is going on there anyway?).

You could certainly compare download with SS to the NF510 against an SP recording made either optically or digitally.

The main advantage of using digital is avoiding hum loops. Amusingly all the radio sources I have tried to record lately already had hum or something like it, in the signal. This is the same reason it's better to rip a CD to computer than use analog line in.

• 1 month later...

Last month I decided to get a new unit. and the only choices for NEW I had were the MZ-N510 or the MZ-NF610. I chose the 610. It works fantastic and I use it almost 5 days a week. another remarcable thing is the battery life. since December Ive used the same battery, an energizer lithium, and the player still marks the battery FULL.

This little machine is one of the best MDs Ive ever seen.

This post is not about the 610, but the 510, wich is very similar and hace somethings mine lacks. I dont have it but I know people who have had it for over 5 years now and it works perfect. I really like this series, I think its one of best series of MDs. although I wish they all had the mic jack wich I could use a lot being a guitarrist myself.

Long Live the Minidisc!

I have 510 as well. Bought used on Amazon.com with 6 blank discs and the majority of the car kit stuff. Got it pretty cheap, and considering the condition I got a damn good deal. Just some minor wear on the player around the edges (To be expected, the paint wears off of the plastic after a while, my 520 did it as well).

I love this little player, excellent controls, handles my remote that I bought for my NH600, plus it has the little signal meter on it. I like the idea of being able to record directly to these discs, thats why I bought the 510. Great entry level recording player.

Hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it mate :)

-Brian

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I have another observation to add to this topic.

I always try to get the best sounquality I can within my limits. SP that is. so I have two choices, I can rip a CD into sonicstage on WAV at (1411)and then choose the SP transfering mode. or I can plug my discman's line out to my minidisc's line in and record that way...afterwards I have to make track marks most of the time.

People say analogue is the only true SP, but Ive notice that when I make recordings using the discman (sony D-NE 718 CK), afterwards when I play the recording on the Minidisc (sony MZ-NF610) I hear the sound fade. it fades and comes back constantly for no reason. why could this be happening?

thats the reason why I chose sonictstage for my recordings, because theres no fading when I record through it.

so although analogue SP is the only true SP (from what Ive read in the forum) those annoying fades made me choose sonicstage. However I was wondering, is there anyway to eliminate those fades?

Thanks

Juan

Edited by Juan22