RM-MC40ELK w/ EH70

Rate this topic

I just got my hands on RM-MC40ELK for the first time. A bit scratched but functional, and was the right price.

Here's my question... several different places it appears to lapse into Japanese. This may well be a function of the unit it is attached to, in this case the sold-in-Japan-only(?) EH70. The most obvious example is one quick press of the "display" button. This gives me time left on the current track (hoorah! I had almost given up looking for this in a portable, being a sine qua non on MD decks) and then below it some Japanese I cannot read (preceded, I think by the number "1").

post-58665-1248459331.jpg

Does anyone know how to make the menus (whether of the EH70 or something to do with the remote) all English? There are no menu or group buttons on the EH70.

Thanks

I just got my hands on RM-MC40ELK for the first time. A bit scratched but functional, and was the right price.

Here's my question... several different places it appears to lapse into Japanese. This may well be a function of the unit it is attached to, in this case the sold-in-Japan-only(?) EH70. The most obvious example is one quick press of the "display" button. This gives me time left on the current track (hoorah! I had almost given up looking for this in a portable, being a sine qua non on MD decks) and then below it some Japanese I cannot read (preceded, I think by the number "1").

Does anyone know how to make the menus (whether of the EH70 or something to do with the remote) all English? There are no menu or group buttons on the EH70.

Thanks

If you hold down the display button it should take you into the menu:

Then hopfully you can find something like the following:

1) Select: 各種設定 / Option

2) Select: 表示言語 / Language

3) Select: 日本語 or English

Holding down the display button does nothing.

Holding the enter/menu button gets me two lines of Japanese which disappear after a few seconds, and don't seem to be scrollable. Not always the same depending on context.

Sorry it was the enter / menu button I meant. I haven't got an EH70, but assume the menu structure is similiar to the EH1 as it is a player only. So holding down the enter button should give you a couple of options one of which should be the Options Menu in which there should be a language setting.

• 4 weeks later...

If you hold down the display button it should take you into the menu:

Then hopfully you can find something like the following:

1) Select: 各種設定 / Option

2) Select: 表示言語 / Language

3) Select: 日本語 or English

Hi

Ohh... Thanks, now also the language could switch over in English. :)

I understand no Japanese. :lol:

It seems clear that the menus are dependent on the unit, rather than the remote itself. And in the Japan-only units (like the EH70) there are some menus that never change from Japanese. I'd love to know what it says the first time I press Display (picture at top of thread).

Wow you've got a lot of stuff.

Changing the subject, I see you have some nice car setups, including an MD changer. Have you tried the Atrac3+ CD units yet? Effectively HiMD in your car, with the proviso you must record an Atrac CD (which is good because noone will bother to steal it and you don't have to change very often!) first.

It seems clear that the menus are dependent on the unit, rather than the remote itself. And in the Japan-only units (like the EH70) there are some menus that never change from Japanese. I'd love to know what it says the first time I press Display (picture at top of thread).

Wow you've got a lot of stuff.

Changing the subject, I see you have some nice car setups, including an MD changer. Have you tried the Atrac3+ CD units yet? Effectively HiMD in your car, with the proviso you must record an Atrac CD (which is good because noone will bother to steal it and you don't have to change very often!) first.

Hi

I have no CD in the Car, but Hi-MD with my EH70.

In my Car i have a Minidictuner MDX-C8500R with a Sony Multi-Changer Adapter XA-C30. At that the MD-Changer MDX-66XLP and the Connects2 Box is connected. From the connects2 Box it goes to the EH70. Track Names are indicated in the Display of the MD-Tuner. Functions wonderfully. :rolleyes:

(sorry my bad english) :blush:

:drinks:

I guess they didn't add the Atrac3+ (and MP3/WMA/AAC) CD playback until the next model after yours. You can find one for $50 here, something to think about.......

My equivalent to the Connects2 didn't work well... Sony design didn't want to communicate to Chrysler head unit so beautifully. Still no idea whether it was the box's makers, or Sony's or Chrysler's (in fact philips) - whenever an MD track gets to 9:59 it stays there for at least the next 3 minutes. Same at 19:59, 29:59 etc etc. Very annoying unless all your tracks are under 10 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Just tried on my NH3D with "The Mighty Forty" connected, and it worked:

1. Switch on HOLD on the unit (as usual for entering service mode).

2. Holding down the GROUP button, use the joystick to send FF, FF, FR, FR, FF, FR, FF, FR, PLAY/PAUSE, PLAY/PAUSE.

3. Use "The Mighty Forty" to navigate in service mode and change settings. And press PLAY/PAUSE on the unit to save changed settings.

The NH3D initially has 03 (Japan) at address 0113, and the Language submenu in the Option menu on the remote, where you can select Japanese or English. Setting the address to 01 (US) switches menus to English (even if they were previously set to Japanese) and removes the Language submenu.

Just tried on my NH3D with "The Mighty Forty" connected, and it worked:

1. Switch on HOLD on the unit (as usual for entering service mode).

2. Holding down the GROUP button, use the joystick to send FF, FF, FR, FR, FF, FR, FF, FR, PLAY/PAUSE, PLAY/PAUSE.

3. Use "The Mighty Forty" to navigate in service mode and change settings. And press PLAY/PAUSE on the unit to save changed settings.

The NH3D initially has 03 (Japan) at address 0113, and the Language submenu in the Option menu on the remote, where you can select Japanese or English. Setting the address to 01 (US) switches menus to English (even if they were previously set to Japanese) and removes the Language submenu.

There's no group button (and there's no group buttons of any kind on the 40ELK) on the EH70. The closest I can come to one-button group functionality is to plug a 35ELK into it... then I get forward and back group buttons.

Any other ideas?

Seems like the EH70 is not really rich in buttons, so there must be an alternative combination. Try holding down the STOP, VOLUME UP or VOLUME DOWN button on the unit.

All I get is three lines of Japanese (though the first line starts with HOLD), all flashing, for about 5 seconds, then blankness again.

Some combinations for older MD player-only E-series units:

E10:

Enable HOLD and hold down STOP on the unit, then enter the FF>FF>FR>FR>FF>FR>FF>FR>GROUP BACK>GROUP BACK sequence from the remote (obviously won't work with the 40ELK because of missing GROUP buttons).

E30, E60, E80, E90:

Enable HOLD and hold down STOP on the unit, then enter the FF>FF>FR>FR>FF>FR>FF>FR>PAUSE>PAUSE sequence from the remote (may or may not work with the 40ELK, since it has no dedicated PAUSE button).

Edited by Avrin

• 1 year later...

Update: I finally figured out how to get into English.

The key was that I never noticed on the 40ELK that DEPRESSING the wheel did anything. This is probably because on my original 40ELK the caption was worn off. I have been giving my second ELK an airing lately, and I noticed that caption (that I had never seen) and tried pressing it (and holding - probably before I may have tried pressing it but never held it down). Bingo, I finally found the menu of the EH70. With some inspired guesses (actually I just worked through each likely looking combo) I found out the English setting. After that I was able to fix all the other things including anything I had randomly messed up by the experience.

I'm still not into Service Mode, but haven't given up on that now I can actually see the menus properly.

Stephen