Just been given two MD players - any good?

Rate this topic

Soundbox

I have been given two recorders - an MZ-R410 and MZ-N510. Both are working but I am not sure about them. Anyone here use these models and if so, what are their strong points? Neither came with anything at all, but both work as far as I can tell (apart from the R410 missing the AA battery cover - are these available as a spare part?).

I have never tried any MD recorder from this era so all input appreciated.

Thanks, Ian

MZ-N510 is perfect for listening and recording, it is type S (listening LP = better for LP listening but i do not care) and type R (better recording SP = the top). Just notice that few decks or portables units as that type R and type S function. As I said now on this forum the next step is the perfect sound on your Hi-Fi, then better have a deck. Complitely different world.

For the technically minded (and I think this includes you, Ian!) any MD with a main chip made with a model number greater than or equal to CXD2664 will have the best processing codecs built in. This is the revision that came in the JB980 (the first Type-S deck and the first NetMD machine). All subsequent machines (this includes any NetMD machine and all of HiMD) will have the superior ATRAC3 processing due to this chip.

Sometimes the number is disguised because the makers rolled the functionality of several large chips into an even larger one. But poking around in the service manuals (most of which are available somewhere) will find that information.

For example the N510 is listed as having CXD2680-203GA and the NE410 has CXD2680-204GA. Both are Type-S. Whereas my bookshelf unit (CMT-PX3) has a CXD2662R (sounds like about the last one before Type-S) and records type R; for best playback I can take the disk out and pop it in my JB980 that sits on the other side of the desk. The difference only really comes on recordings which are pushing some limit due to noise (FM radio) or other transmission problem. Stuff recorded from the internet rarely has this problem as I pointed out in the long discussion on LP4 that we ended up having, because the sounds from the net tend to be properly mastered to get the maximum impact for lowest bandwith already. When there are a lot of higher frequencies present (most of which only show up in things like the announcers' sibilants), it makes a difference to have Type-S playback.

Nice to hear from you

Stephen

Thank you for the helpful replies - to me it is knowing more about a machine that allows it to be better appreciated. It is good to know about the chips used. I have a JB980 too and enjoy the natural sound it gives. It was during the net-MD era that I was out of the MD loop - I had my R30 portable and 510 deck but due to lack of information back then I did not know about changes to the ATRAC code - but I am up to speed on it all now thankfully.

Concerning selling the units, I may well do, but they need a real good clean and check of the functions first.

• 2 months later...

I wonder if I may be so bold to ask if anyone has a spare grey AA battery door and a top cover screw spare to sell me? I have started cleaning and restoring the machines but these parts are missing. If you do have some bits from a damaged or broken recorder, please do let me know. Thanks, Ian

Hi Ian. If you are still looking for these items, send me a PM as I can supply most MD parts.

Jim

• 1 month later...