Minidisc or Digital Music Server?

Rate this topic

netmduser

It's not so hard to have the best of both worlds. I have lots of disks, but I can play all of the content (uploaded) off a hard disk on my PC. The only problem is connecting that to the stereo with zero background noise (hum, fans, etc etc).

But it's still really nice to "pop in a disk".

Regarding a Music Server-

I don't have any particular recommendations.

As to me it's all about what your exact needs are,

and then finding out what device(es)

are able to do what you want, and what you can

get within your budget

I found just listing all the things I expect

my sound system to be able to perform

helped me to then find a suitable overall solution,

and this included for me the continued use of MD, rather than

just replacing it with a server

i have an old windows xp machine with a usb optical out hooked up to the optical in of my md deck. then ilay and md its already hooked up and if i want to record an md i can just do it through the deck thats already hooked up. i use the deck as a dac when i just want to listen to the songs from the hard drive. it works great. yes the fan is loud because the pc is so old the fan is on all the time at full speed.

Fan noise is a big consideration. Obviously silent PCs are the way to go for Hi-Fi use. However, I haven't heard anything about power consumption mentioned. A PC even @ 100 watts is a power hog compared to a MD deck @ 18 watts.

There is also something to be said for MD in favor of simplicity. I still don't have my Creative X-Fi working the way I want after 2 years but I can pop in an MD and hit play. Just that simple.

You have a good point about power consumption most decks are very low. Simple is also a good quality. The GigaJuke looks great did you know that it is windows based and the hard drive requires defragmenting?##@!?

That is why I like a deck. It is super quiet and low power consumption. Just never seem to have enough blank discs! But if a cost effective music server was available I would get one.

If all you need is storgage/server, to be used with a seperate front-end like a modern receiver I can highly recommend HP's Media Vaults. Especially the first generation. I've have mine running 2 discs, up to 1.5 TB (limit). I just use mine for storage but they will stream music too. I think they are under $100 now. Runs FreeNas OS, very robust and easy to use. Mine have been in service for 3 years and I bought them used...

I've been thinking about trying a new receiver with DLNA to bypass the audio computer all together. Seems to be the most efficient setup now. That Sony NAC-HD1 really got under my skin this week. Nice looking unit, great concept.

An excellent budget 'music server' to use would be a second hand iMac from 2006 (plus) or so, you can get these pretty cheap now, they look good and you can control the music softwear via a remote control. Use digital out and link it to a AV Reciever that includes a reasonable DAC. Music can be stored onboard or externally via a (USB) external hard drive, to keep it simple. These are very quiet units to run and can easily handle very large collections.

• 3 weeks later...

I use an old now obsolete NSLU2 with 2 attached external drives attached to the usb. runs a small Linux os , not very powerful but fast enough for audio. This is really a NAS, but I know some one who installed a music server on it and stores all the music files on a large flash usb stick attached. cheap answer. I just make an icon to it and open it as a net work drive on my notebook. works well. very low powered, no fans and the size of your hand, doesnt get hot.

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/