A small box from Japan

Rate this topic

kgallen

23 minutes ago, kgallen said:

I’ve closed the SIF Chrome window and reopened and it seems to load again… no idea.

Might try Chrome then. Using Safari, it works for a bit and then I get the error message and have to clear my cache (which logs me out of every other site I use 🙁 ).

Having said that, just tried it now and it worked first time 🤦‍♂️

Hi guys

You may see this behaviour with a lot of sites, as this is what you may observe in the event that SIF changes its address whilst you are browsing or between visits (the second of which you attempt to resume earler acivity).

I've been seeing it a lot lately with things like eBay, paypal. I think (but not sure) that this is a consequence of sites being in the cloud. Not sure how some DNS get around this; in my case it's clear that my own local DNS server doesn't signal my browser of the change, so I end up doing "ipconfig /flushdns".

One of my friends / admins on the Facebook group for blank MD collectors (Students of The Little Disc) is in the process of taking final orders for some custom overprinted discs he is making / selling for the 30th anniversary. I can put you in touch (the logo is an adaptation of Sony's 10th anniversary logo). 

20220114_004736_0001.JPG

DSC02011a.JPG

4 hours ago, BearBoy said:

Do you know if they did anything in 2012 for the 20th anniversary, @Richard?

I did a Google but all I came across was a single picture of a "20th Anniversary" MZ-E75, presumably marking the 20th anniversary of the the original cassette Walkman in 1999.

That's right (on both counts) - they did nothing in 2012 and the E75 was just 20th anniversary of Walkman in general. 

• 5 months later...

I went to order another "small box from Japan" but it looks like the supply of MDW80Ts on Amazon.co.jp has dried up, at least for UK delivery. There's only one seller with a single box of 5 showing now and it's been that way for a couple of weeks.

Not sure if it is a temporary drought or whether that's it?

3 hours ago, BearBoy said:

I went to order another "small box from Japan" but it looks like the supply of MDW80Ts on Amazon.co.jp has dried up, at least for UK delivery. There's only one seller with a single box of 5 showing now and it's been that way for a couple of weeks.

Not sure if it is a temporary drought or whether that's it?

If you need some discs I can send you some - not MDW80Ts but can no doubt find something to suit!

That's really very kind of you @Richard but I'm not really short of blanks. Was just thinking off stocking up on some more MDW80Ts whilst they were still available from a major retailer at a reasonable price. There's plenty of them, for a slightly less reasonable price, on eBay so they are still readily available.

Was more wondering whether this is finally the end of the line for new blank MiniDiscs (as opposed to the NOS ones available via eBay etc)?

Thanks again for the offer though 🙂

• 6 months later...

The MDW80Ts seem to drift in and out of stock at Amazon.co.jp, at least as far as sellers prepared to ship to the UK are concerned.

Noticed they were back in stock today so placed an order. Worked out at £2.93 per disc including delivery.

Must. Stop. Buying. More. Blanks. 🤦‍♂️

These also popped up whilst I was looking around the site: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Recording-80-Minutes-Piece-3mdw80rh-Original/dp/B016QJJVOO/

Reminded me of some of the artist MDs that @Richard posted recently. Not sure if "Red Hot" were a Japanese band or whether the photo card is for something completely different.

• Haha 1

Yes, Hikaru Utada (or Utada Hikaru if you're in Japan) is pretty much the biggest selling Japanese "pop" artist ever, currently based in London. At the time it was very common in Japan for manufacturers to have famous artists, in particular singers be their "campaign" artists. The Red Hot campaign also featured other artists in previous years, but the biggest campaign by far was in 1999/2000 featuring Hikaru Utada. 

The campaign promoted batteries and recordable media - amongst which MD. There was a special series of MD discs to tie in with the campaign and each pack featured a unique collectors card. 

I actually have a whole pictorial in draft status in the pictorials section, but didn't yet get around to finishing it, mainly because the discs I need to photograph are in storage. 

In any case, here are a couple of samples regarding the campaign from a Sony brochure targeted at dealers / resellers explaining the campaign. 

DSC01016.JPG

DSC01028.JPG

50 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

[...] look forward to seeing your post when you get a chance to finish it 🙂

Unfortunately it might be a while as the discs in question are on the other side of the world at the moment, but if I manage to pick up another pack for a reasonable price in the meantime, I'll finish it off

• 2 months later...