Fixing my MZ-EH930

Rate this topic

Fixing up my office (which has been a disaster since Covid) I ran into a few MD-related things not working right. The most surprising of these is my Hi-MD player, the captioned item (picture below). No  idea why it got rotated, blame the phone for that.

20240716_080337.jpg

Anyhow, with a working battery, or on the charge stand, you can hear it seeking from one end of the travel to the other. Then repeating..... forever.

To give the general idea of what is happening, I tried putting in different kinds of disk. With a CD (prerecorded) or LP2/SP disk, the seeking is more or less continuous. With any HiMD (legacy or 1GB), you can hear the characteristic noise as it reads the (low-MD) TOC and then tries to read the Hi-MD information - so a short change in sound whilst it does this. This suggests to me that it is actually detecting the TOC, and then changing gears, so *some* data is probably being processed.

I opened it up (and nothing to report. The flexible cable to the OP looks intact. These things are pretty sturdy. And yes, after reassembly, it made exactly the same noises.

Ideas? These players are pretty sturdy, so I am quite surprised.

Stephen

Have you got any way of testing the laser aside from using a disc @sfbp? e.g. some sort of laser power meter? Just grasping at straws though tbh. Hopefully one of the more technically savvy members will be along with something more useful.

As a somewhat irrelevant aside, the MZ-EH930 looks really similar to the MZ-E630. Looks metal though, as opposed to the plastic case on the MZ-E630?

Edited by BearBoy
I was wrong about the MZ-E630

Yup it's metal

I have a LPM. What is missing is the SM for this device. So I haven't a clue what to look for.

It was definitely working fine the last time it had an outing. So what single thing (Occam's razor) is the most likely source of it dying?

Thanks

S

On 7/16/2024 at 9:45 PM, BearBoy said:

As a somewhat irrelevant aside, the MZ-EH930 looks really similar to the MZ-E630. Looks metal though, as opposed to the plastic case on the MZ-E630?

I have no idea about the actual problem - seems quite strange. But as an equally irrelevant answer to the aside from @BearBoy, the front of the 630 is painted metal. You can see if you look at the underside when you open it

I actually find it fairly difficult to tell sometimes 🤔

I was assuming the MZ-E630 would be plastic because I thought my MZ-E620 was. Having had a closer look, however, I think the MZ-E620 might actually have a metal lid, albeit with a large plastic insert. Not 100% sure though 🙄

Back on topic, any progress with troubleshooting your MZ-EH930 @sfbp?