NW-A1200's color

Rate this question

Blue_Yonder

Question

I currently own a NW-E307 (Black), but want something with a little more capacity as I travel quite a bit. I was looking at the NW-A1200 which only comes in two colors in the U.S. I've been contemplating the violet colored one, but I wanted to ask someone who has seen them in real life if the color is actually as dark as it appears in the pictures I've seen. I'm not crazy about purple but I could probably live with it if it is not too light a shade, and I'm certainly not getting a pink one.

Thanks in advance!

23 answers to this question

is the black nw-a1200 not available in the US.

I live in the Netherlands and I own a nw-a1200 black, I think that's a very cool color (imho).

If black isn't available I would probably go for the silver one, but since that also isn't available in the US (as I've read), the violet one is a good choice, Pink is way to childish/candy-style. Don't like that. I've had the violet version in my hands just the other day and I thought it looked a little bit too purple. But when I held it out of the light, It looked a bit dark purple, and that looked very sweet!

greetz

Edited by DSP

Now I'm starting to think along a new line, and have a new question. As crazy as it may sound, if I were to go out of my way to have one sent to me from a country that does carry the alternative colors, would I have any issues getting it to work with a U.S. version of SonicStage?

Hey Blue_Yonder,

There won't be any issues if you used a "foreign" NW-xxx with the American version of SonicStage. I myself have a NW-A3000 from HK and a NW-A3000 from Japan, and I have no problems with either one while trying to get it to sync with SS..

I also have the NW-A1200 that I bought in-store at the Metreon store in San Francisco. I can vouch for others that have stated before that the violet is definately a dark color. Also, it is more of a violet and less of a blue. It's about the "violetness" of blank DVD+R media, if that helps..

If I have time later, I'll take a few pics and I'll upload em into this post

Edited by aznbro85

Thanks much for your reply, aznbro! I look forward to seeing your pics. That depiction of the color being like a blank DVD+R is perfect, I know exactly what you're talking about and that's about what I imagined it would be. BTW, did you pick up your A3000s yourself in-country or did you buy them from an importer or perhaps a friend overseas?

Thanks much for your reply, aznbro! I look forward to seeing your pics. That depiction of the color being like a blank DVD+R is perfect, I know exactly what you're talking about and that's about what I imagined it would be. BTW, did you pick up your A3000s yourself in-country or did you buy them from an importer or perhaps a friend overseas?

Hey Blue_Yonder,

The black NW-A3000 that I got was from an ebay importer located in Japan. The silver NW-A3000 that I got was when my friend was in vacation in hong kong back in January, and was nice enough to help me grab one.

As for the NW-A1200, I got it at the local SonyStyle store right her in San Francisco, CA...

I've been having a hard time photographing the A-1200, as even though the color is DVD+R violet, it seems that with the lighting and the camera's lense, it shows up as a blue

47j3zgp.jpg

-----------------

I then tried it with more "natural" lighting with somewhat more accurate results...

40mptow.jpg

4be226r.jpg

I put it back in it's original box to see if it'd help with the coloring while photographing, but eh... :mellow:

33uc32w.jpg

hope this helps :)

P.S. Sorry for the delay... it's been one heck of a week :unsure:

Edited by aznbro85

Well, as you can see from those pics (which, in exposure terms, pretty well demo the colour of the violet unit well), it's hardly garish.. and definately no worse than some purple shades used in some clothing.

It's ok by my way of thinking, hell i have a violet one..

But then again, i aint fussed - i kinda agree with a nice bit of film soundbite philosophy from the file 'Alfie' - where the character comments that when you are comfortable and self-assured about your masculinity, you can wear practically any colour and no feel any less masculine for it :P

'Tom Kat'

ohh my god..

that package... is that the package it comes in in the US? :blink:

I hate those plastic packages, it looks so damn cheap. Like a toy bought from a local toys 'r rus or something like that. :sad:

I bought mine (nw-a1200b) here in the Netherlands, and it came in a shiny violet box. When you open it a stylish black box comes out. If you open it (flip it open) you can see the walkman sitting there behind plastis cover..as if it were to b protected like a piece of art :) sooo beautifull B)

I'm in love with that package... shame you guys in the US don't get it....

soysl100nyw1.jpg

soysl100nyw5.jpg

soysl100nyw4.jpg

soo nice....

BTW: this is not MY walkman.. as I said, I have a black one.. black is just the way of style :P

greetz

Edited by DSP

ohh my god..

that package... is that the package it comes in in the US? :blink:

I hate those plastic packages, it looks so damn cheap. Like a toy bought from a local toys 'r rus or something like that. :sad:

I bought mine (nw-a1200b) here in the Netherlands, and it came in a shiny violet box. When you open it a stylish black box comes out. If you open it (flip it open) you can see the walkman sitting there behind plastis cover..as if it were to b protected like a piece of art :) sooo beautifull B)

I'm in love with that package... shame you guys in the US don't get it....

soo nice....

BTW: this is not MY walkman.. as I said, I have a black one.. black is just the way of style :P

greetz

Yes that's what most people would get. Instead of the US, and for some products in Canada as well. I wouldnt disagree when there're reviews joking on sony's packaging in the US.

Unfortunately for those who live in the countries with that kind of packaging. :sad:

Sony SHOULD make the packaging the same.....it's just common sense

Yes that's what most people would get. Instead of the US, and for some products in Canada as well. I wouldnt disagree when there're reviews joking on sony's packaging in the US.

Unfortunately for those who live in the countries with that kind of packaging. :sad:

Sony SHOULD make the packaging the same.....it's just common sense

Yep, I completely agree with you AntiPod, as well as you DSP... pretty much all of the Sony Walkmen in the US come in that plastic "bubble" stuff, that gawd aweful stuff that you guarantee at least one cut on your fingers with while you open it :blink:

Like I had said before I have 2 NW-A3000s, one from Japan and one from Hong Kong (pretty much the EU one), and both of those came with the beautiful packaging that DSP had showed pictures of.

I bought the NW-A1200 at the SonyStyle store in San Francisco right on the day that they first had stock of it, and I was DEVISTATED to see that they didn't use that box form factor with the American release...

I think ever since the MZ-N10, i can't think of any Sony walkman that did not come in that plastic wrap stuff for America.

The thing that really pushes my buttons is that every other country gets a nice box, and I'm pretty sure it adds to the production cost when they use two different types of materials for boxes when they can just have one centralized one in which they ship all of them in...

Mine also, came in the fancy violet colour box..

Speaking of bubble packs as mentioned... yeah, dont half make it all look a bit tacky - mine you, the only advantage (from the consumber POV) i can say for bubble packs is that you get to see just how tacky and cheap or lovely and smart the product is when you dont otherwise get to see a display example.

Bubble packs, yep.. certainly a pain in the wotsits (a bit like a kick to the male dangly bits) to open. I remember the time i once bought a bulk pack of alkalines to stick in my rucksack for cycling (for the lighting) and one dark night.. one dark, cold.. near freezing, night i had to call on the spares in the as-yet-unopened bubble pack.

Much swearing, cursing, and many many iPod owner's souls were offered in a proposed deal with the devil as i wished i had a knife with me, as the plastic packing was damn near bulletproof and flawless in the seams.

Took three hours, in the cold of night.. at the roadside, and one old sharped key (labouriously sharpened using the nearby kerbstones) and mucho repetitive scoring of the plastic to get the offending packaging open.. to then go spill all 50 bloody cells across the road ;)

I always have a craft knife, stanley knife or such like on my person these days to ensure that never happens again in such situations, and for sure, it's a total necessity when it comes to bubble packs :P

'Tom Kat'

Well, overall when it comes to packaging, i see things this way..

Bubble packs, the spawn of Satan.. as in, what happens the the boss man himself takes off from the holding of the demonic reins and leaves a demon in charge ;)

Otherwise..

Boxed packaging - well, i really aint too fussed if it's white-boxed (aka like OEM stuff) or in a nice fancy packaging personally.

But for sure, a nice neat well-thought out presentation box (and that's for sure one nice way to describe what most of us got our NW-A's in) definately looks the part, and would never look tacky sitting in a display case (just a shame it shows nothing of the content unless left open).

It's the same kinda impression you get with a good piece of audio kit in general, neat and functional and almost point-of-sale smooth definately helps reinforce the fact that a quality buy is just that, if someone went to the effort to design a decent box..., at least some part of the supply process had a touch of 'coming from the heart' in it ;)

But given that, unless you keep for resale or collectable purposes, most packaging is discarded at least by the time the kit is out of warranty, i guess it really dont make a lot of difference how the packaging form evolves and arrives.

That said, as i came to learn, it's still worth keeping the packaging if poss, just in case some poor soul decides to cash in on the newly-collectable status of an older unused bit of kit and see's a quick buck or three to be had - for sure, then, they want their quality original packaging.. and they will pay a handsome sum to obtain your unwanted intact/shop-condition junk packaging.

Collectors and cash-in junkies.. you gotta love em really, as long as they play fair and offer you something fair for what they desire.. aka the intact packaging they so desperately covet ;)

'Tom Kat'

It's interesting to see that walkmans are sold in completely different packages in different places. When I bought my NW-E407 when it came out, it was in a thin, clear, cheap plastic case. But when the new a-series came out, all models were in those cool sony connect boxes. That's why I was surprised to see that A-3000 in that cheap packaging... Definitiely not sold in those in canada.