MZ-RH10 Megathread - All Color Variations + Info.

Christopher

Is there anyone out there who's got the MZ-rh10 yet? Is there anyone planning to buy one? Why aren't you people discussing the new units like madmen now that they're out? (in japan at least). Have i missed something? huh.gif

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just got back from BIC camera in Shibuya where I was able to handle the new units in my very own hands. Some of this might be known already, but just in case, I'll just say what I saw.

Unfortunately, neither BIC nor Sakura-ya had the RH10 powered up, so I couldn't tell what the display looked like.

The unit is almost entirely plastic, but pretty good looking plastic. The build quality seems good. There is a standard Mini USB port on the unit (yeah) and a 3V input. When the USB port is open, the 3V input is closed by a sliding cover that goes between the two, so the USB must power it just fine. The analog input also has optical digital, which I wasn't sure about before.

The unit seemed light enough, but not ultralight. It also seemed fairly thick, much thicker than the top end NH1 model.

The cradle seems to be only for charging based on the type of input it has and when in the cradle, the USB port seems to be inaccessable which seems weird.

The orange one looks VERY orange. The black one and the blue one looked the best to me.

The portable player only unit is also thicker than last years model. Nice looking.

Overall, the addition of MP3, some nice industrial design, but with the plastic housings etc. obviously designed for a lower price point. The NH1 is still being positioned at a higher price, selling for about 5000 yen more than the RH10.

The DH-10 is metal and the body has a curvature to it that is pretty cool. I took a picture and it took a long time to save it to disc. I suspect the reason for the low megapixel count might be due to long write times making the system not well suited to large file sizes as with a 5 megapixel ccd unless they were to build a big memory buffer in. Afterwards, I could not figure out how to display my picture on the unit, even after changing the menus to english, but I was a little rushed for time.

That's about all I noticed. I'll try to answer any questions and sorry I couldn't view the display on the RH-10.

These units sure look slick. But it's another case of 'too little too late'. Where was sony YEARS ago with the backlit on-unit displays? These will be great for live recording with PCM/backlit display, but there's still the limitation of not-much-faster-than-realtime uploads. After wrestling with music transfers with a NH700, I've come to realise that Sony never USES any product they make. If anyone at Sony let the HiMD hardware and its related software out the door after actually USING it, they should be fired. It's a human usability nightmare. Hopefully the nes SS software is not as horrendous as the existing stuff. Regardless, the speed limitation is that of the actual disc and not of the software.

I have to say, what's the point... especially with devices like this on the market:

user posted image

That player to the left of the MD in the photo is a 20GB HDD mp3 player with colour screen AND the ability to record straight to wav through a line in (with "backlit" meters on the screen). Transfers are at USB2 speeds with no special software required. In addition you get the fun bonus of being able to watch divx movies on the screen or through a video out to TV. This is just an example of where we are headed, and while I've been an MD supporter for many years, I'm afraid that it's days are numbered. And sadly, Sony's alternative portable music players are just not up to snuff with the competitors.

Anyway, these new units sure are nice.. I just kinda wish they'd brought them out a little earlier. Sony used to be the innovator.. and HiMD is certainly an innovation when it comes to MD technology, however in the grand scheme of things, they do not do anything brand new (i.e. for each feature on the HiMD, you can find at least one non-md device that has it too ... if that makes any sense).

The unit is almost entirely plastic, but pretty good looking plastic.  The build quality seems good.  There is a standard Mini USB port on the unit (yeah) and a 3V input.  When the USB port is open, the 3V input is closed by a sliding cover that goes between the two, so the USB must power it just fine.  The analog input also has optical digital, which I wasn't sure about before.

3V should not be a problem as the usb can deliver 5V from what i have read...

• 3 months later...

Is anyone actually using an RH10? I just got mine from Japan, and am still learning how to use it. I'm having trouble with titling and my question is not answered in the instruction book. Are there any experts out there that could email me privately for help with this problem? I'm at "capitaltenor @ yahoo.com" (remove spaces). Many thanks!

Susan

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting an RH10 on the 26th this month from SunnyLife on eBay, so I'll post back with any problems/solutions I have.

That blue one has me drueling. I'm just a tad concerned though; many people say there are title errors with the Japanese model.

I'm getting an RH10 on the 26th this month from SunnyLife on eBay, so I'll post back with any problems/solutions I have.

That blue one has me drueling. I'm just a tad concerned though; many people say there are title errors with the Japanese model.

Rest assured. This topic has been thoroughly discussed - the Japanese version do not have titling issues.