Sony DS-HMD1 Pictorial-Review

Rate this topic

welcome to MDCF azovsky, but I'm sorry...you'll have to do it realtime, as there are no possibilities to upload old-MD format recordings faster than realtime at all...so the digital realtime way is the best route.

• 3 months later...

What about the DRM side of this unit? Does it still only allow a single upload of any self-made analogue recordings, whether entirely successful or not?

GOOD NEWS....

I have been able to use this drive to upload files to Sonic stage 3.3, alot more than once!, that I recorded via the mic input of my MZ-NH! I do not think there is a limit on how many times you can upload your own recordings made via the mic into Sonic stage 3.3.

BUT, I think it is still better and safer to convert your files (out of sonic stage) using the WAV converter. Then you can convert those files to any non-DRM format or DRM format you like.

You can, also, use the drag and drop feature of HI-MD as much as you like without worring about DRM, but for recorded audio you will first need to upload to Sonic stage and then use the WAV converter to take the files out of the DRM wrap and then turn that file or files to anything you would like to be draged and droped to the HI-MD drive.

Sorry, I did not answer you sooner,

Mikami

Edited by Mikami

• 2 months later...

Are you up to 2 more questions, Mikami?

1) I've used my NH900 as my main 'downloader' for Sonic Stage to make all of my audio MDs... can this device do that? Make a regular atrac audio MD or will a regular MD player not read it?

2) Going from PC to PC, do the computers require special DRIVERS to recognize the external drive? I tried hooking up my NH900 to my work PC and Windows 2000 didn't recognize the Sony device without 'administrative support', in other words, I would need drivers to be installed.

Thanks.

1) I've used my NH900 as my main 'downloader' for Sonic Stage to make all of my audio MDs... can this device do that? Make a regular atrac audio MD or will a regular MD player not read it?

2) Going from PC to PC, do the computers require special DRIVERS to recognize the external drive? I tried hooking up my NH900 to my work PC and Windows 2000 didn't recognize the Sony device without 'administrative support', in other words, I would need drivers to be installed.

Thanks.

Raja I'm sure Mikami will confirm, but basically the answer to question one is Yes. And the answer to question 2 is that I'm pretty sure it will require the PersonalAudio Driver to be installed same as any other MD player to be able to write MD's, but to function as a purely USB external data drive it doesn't (at least under Win2K / XP as it will use the generic USB Mass Storage driver.)

Thanks.

1. Yes, this device will let you download anything that your version of SonicStage and Simple burn are able to do. You can use it in HI-MD mode or in NET-MD mode with simple burner and SonicStage. In Sonic stage 3.4 you can also download SP Atracs, but keep in mind some people may or may not agree if it is true SP or not.

2. This drive just as all HI-MD downloader/uploader units have sony's normal plug and play driver files that will enable you to drag and drop files back and forth. I do not know much about Windows 2000, but I can tell you that on Japanese language versions of Windows XP I have been able to go from my home PC to the PC's at work without, having had to be logged in as Administrator. I do not know if this is because I have been using Windows XP or if it is because of the drive. It is hard to imagen that a portable pug and play drive would require one to always have Adimistrator support. I hope this is not the case. I will try and find a computer with Windows 2000 on it so I can test this out.

See you later,

Mikami

• 7 years later...