NEW: Sony Hi-MD Walkman Players - MZ-EH70 and MZ-EH50

betamaxDATminidisc

Sony Japan announced today (October 13, 2005) that it will release two new portable playback-only Hi-MD Walkman units equipped with HD Digital Amplifier on November 10, 2005. The expected retail price for the MZ-EH70 and MZ-EH50 is approximately 19,000 yen (approx. USD$165) and 17,000 yen (approx. USD$148) respectively. These units do NOT feature support for MP3, but only the usual Hi-MD ATRAC3/plus bitrates and PCM.+++

News source: AVWatch, and Sony Japan Press Release, *specification info at end of press release

IPB Image

MZ-EH70

For the forum's interest, the MZ-EH70 comes in four color schemes (silver, blue, pink and black) and features the VPT Acoustic Engine (Virtual Phone Technology; otherwise known as Virtual-Surround) along with a six band EQ. As usual, the player is dependent on the NiMH battery as its principal power supply with the AA battery as an external auxiliary supply. Battery life: At Hi-LP and LP4 mode, playback can last approximately 87 hours and 82 hours respectively. (with both power source: NiMH and AA battery) Size: 88.1 × 75.8 × 17.1mm (w/h/d); Weight: 110g *including battery

IPB Image

MZ-EH50

The MZ-EH50 also comes in four color schemes (white, pink, silver and blue) and features color matching accessories - earphones and remote. *Note: the only significant difference between the EH70 and EH50 is that the latter does not have the VPT Acoustic Engine. As usual, the player is dependent on the NiMH battery as its principal power supply with the AA battery as an external auxiliary supply. Battery life: At Hi-LP and LP4 mode, playback can last approximately 85 hours and 80 hours respectively. (with both power source: NiMH and AA battery) Size: 85 × 78.8 × 20.2mm (w/h/d); Weight: 107g *including battery

IPB Image

Edited by kurisu

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES!

(Although I still might buy an Rh10......)

And Sony allegedly confirms that new pro-models are being developed and they have no intention of killing off the Hi-MD format.

Life is good....

No problem - its a really good site for news on new geek toys. The new MDs look nice enough but they look like they are aimed at the iPod community rather than the semi-pro community. Not regretting purchasing my MZ-RH10 anyway.

Thank you and I didn't know that site is available in english!

Apparently from a 'respected journalist in the audio field', see the whats new entry dated 10/12:

http://minidisc.org/part_Whats_new.html

"I was told [by Sony's pro-audio division] that new Hi-MD models are being developed and that Sony had no intention of killing the format. ... They kept assuring everyone that Hi-MD in the pro market will continue. "

Ah, cool - thanks... though it does just state "Pro Market"... which means only M100-type stuff??

Here's my fantasy pic of the new EH70 ORANGE.

IPB Image

Here's my fantasy pic of the new EH70 ORANGE.-theblueraja

That is a very discreet use of orange

:D

Good to see Sony bring out some more Hi-MD units even if they are only players. Lot of white earphones and remotes rather than colour matching to the minidisc unit.

Hopefully these are only the first of a Sony's reply to the new iPod announced today or yesterday.

Any release dates mentioned ?

Here's my fantasy pic of the new EH70 ORANGE.-theblueraja

That is a very discreet use of orange

Good to see Sony bring out some more Hi-MD units even if they are only players. Lot of white earphones and remotes rather than colour matching to the minidisc unit.

Hopefully these are only the first of a Sony's reply to the new iPod announced today or yesterday.

Any release dates mentioned ?

Perhaps, iPod announced yesterday.

Possibly Sony's way of bowing down to the 'hip-ness' of the iPod Generation... meaning you can spin minidisc in your pocket, and still look cool w/ the typical white plugs.

Personally, I think the white phones just make people look like a berk!

:lol:

I shall be using the Sennheiser MX500 (original metalic blue) or PX100 and not bow down to the conformity of sheep!

B)

Edited by MDGB2

Did you notice, that there is no sign of native Mp3-support on these new models? Weird, Sony.

To nip the speculation in the bud; on the Sony Japan site it says that there is no mp3 support on these models. Unfortunately there is no mention of expected battery life for these units on the site.

Edited by bland10000

It's to see new players being released, even if they are only players. But the battery life listed is quite impressive, IMO. I'm actually intrigued to consider purchasing it. I don't really record much on MD these days except for my church, but I could let them use my NH900 for most things :) (I love finding ways to justify unnecessary purchases.)

Is this truly a player only unit? No USB connections as well? The more I look at the pics, the more this becomes apparent it probably is... hmm... you'd think adding some USB download only abilities would make sense.

Please read the initial post thoroughly. This is strictly a player-only unit - the EH designation is a giveaway.

My personal feeling was always, that MD/HiMD is here to stay for quite awhile.

Especially as other manufacturers keep pushing out new MD-Stuff.

This time it is Denon: D-C7USB ( mech. Translation )

Designwise it reminds me of the typical german design of the 70's.

Aside from having a CD and MD-drive, it has a USB-Front-socket, where you can plug in your MP3-Player and play its files through the unit.

( @Kurisu: If you think it is worth its own thread, fell free to do it. )

wait if the new players are are strictly play-only

then wouldnt that mean that people that buy that as their first minidisc player

just bought a player they cant listen too?

how would the person write hi-mds or even net mds?

sry if thats a somewhat stoopid question.......

well it doesnt matter to me

i have one that writes already

id enjoy having one of those new ones

i might miss having a 3 line display since those remotes only look like 2 liners (i think)

and also ill probably miss having the display on the player

but with that battery life it doesnt seem like i can go wrong since i get 25hrs on my current hi-md player (which is still good since i have a 30 min battery recharger)

so any info on when those will be available in the US

wait if the new players are are strictly play-only

then wouldnt that mean that people that buy that as their first minidisc player

just bought a player they cant listen too?

how would the person write hi-mds or even net mds?

sry if thats a somewhat stoopid question.......

well it doesnt matter to me

i have one that writes already

id enjoy having one of those new ones

i might miss having a 3 line display since those remotes only look like 2 liners (i think)

and also ill probably miss having the display on the player

but with that battery life it doesnt seem like i can go wrong since i get 25hrs on my current hi-md player (which is still good since i have a 30 min battery recharger)

so any info on when those will be available in the US

I believe you can still USB-files from Sonic Stage... so it's not "RECORDING" if you will, but it's a TRANSFER. Recording would be mic or line in, etc.

They are playback only.

You need another recorder to fill the discs.

Guide to Sony-Type-designations:

MZ are mobile units.

MZ-R are old recorders

MZ-S are old recorders, Sports-Series.

MZ-B are so called 'business recorders'. These are designed to be used as dictaphones and have built-in microphones and a speaker.

MZ-E are old Players

MZ-N are old NetMD-Recorders. If it is an N and has a D at the end of the type number, it is a downloader only. (N420D)

MZ-NE are old NetMD-Downloaders (No mic or line-in )

MZ-NF are old NetMD-Recorders with a radio remote.

MZ-G are old recorders with a radio remote.

MZ-EH are HiMD-capable players.

MZ-NH are HiMD-capable recorders and downloaders. If it is an NH and has a D at the end of the type number, it is a downloader only. (NH600D)

MZ-RH are HiMD-capable recorders. (2nd Generation)

MZ-DH are HiMD-capable downloaders. (2nd Generation & the camera)

Remember, E and EH cannot record in any way, they can only playback discs recorded in other units. Of course, they don't have an USB-connector either.

Hope, that makes it now clear for anyone

so ya i guess that would suck to be a someones first minidisc player

i wonder how many returns there will be wen people buy them and realize that they have no way of putting music on them

That's why you don't see many player only units outside Japan. The Japanese are used to the MD format so much, that people know the difference between player only units and recorders/downloaders. I can see your scenario if Sony sells the player only units in the US, where people will bash Sony and the format even further, and there will be major complaints and lawsuits against the retailers and Sony.