Local Futureshop finally carrying Hi-MD blanks

Rate this topic

dex Otaku

I made a visit to the local Futureshop, which only recently opened, a few days ago. Walked away with my first Hi-MD blank [for $11.99CAD] other than the one that came with my NH700. I'm quite happy to know there's now a local source of discs for less than $14 a pop, but I have to relay the conversation with their floor rep because it was just .. funny.

rep: Can I help you find something sir?

me: Yes. Do you sell Minidiscs?

rep: Ah yes, follow me. You mean the ones like video cameras use, right?

me: No, I mean Minidiscs.

rep: [blank look] .. [hopefully] uh, like the kind that video cameras use?

me: [getting annoyed] No, I mean Minidiscs. The audio format created by Sony in, oh, 1992? For portable recording?

rep: I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that sir, but I'll ask the other guys.

I follow him over the the video camera section, not getting my hopes up.

rep: Hey, uh, do we sell...

me: Minidiscs. 64mm disc, hard plastic shell, been around since 1992?

rep 2: Ah yes, they're over..

I look down at the shelf of blank video recorder media we're standing in front of.

me: They're right there.

I pick up a package of 2 MD80s, priced at $10.99, pretty typical for around here.

rep 2: We also have the high-capacity ones here somewhere..

I look over the shelf, and find, to my absolute surprise - single clear-blue HiMD blanks hanging from a hook.

me: Oh my god. You actually sell these. Wow. Uh. Thank you for the help finding them.

rep 2: You're welcome. [as the first rep slinks off into the background]

Heh.

Yeah. How 'bout that.

I get my Hi-MD blanks at RadioShack. Well, not just ANY radio shack...the only one that I know of in VT that has Hi-MD blanks is in Burlington, a 45 minute drive from where I live. Somewhat inconvenient, but it gives me a reason to do some other shopping...and spend more money.

Edited by Skradgee

Hi-MD blanks in Canada ..

Minidisc Canada: $8.99+shipping

Futureshop: $11.99

TheSource [formerly Radioshack]: $13.99

Futureshop is the first place to actually stock them in the town where I live. They've been open less than 6 months. They don't stock players or recorders.

TheSource stocks players, but the only ones I've seen in store [only one store here] were the NH600D and RH710.

Wal-Mart also still has some old stock, netMD players.

Average price of MD80 blanks here is $10.99 for a package of two.

Yes, those prices are freakin' insane.

Hi-MD blanks in Canada ..

Minidisc Canada: $8.99+shipping

Futureshop: $11.99

TheSource [formerly Radioshack]: $13.99

Futureshop is the first place to actually stock them in the town where I live. They've been open less than 6 months. They don't stock players or recorders.

TheSource stocks players, but the only ones I've seen in store [only one store here] were the NH600D and RH710.

Wal-Mart also still has some old stock, netMD players.

Average price of MD80 blanks here is $10.99 for a package of two.

Yes, those prices are freakin' insane.

sounds like you guys get taxed through the nose up there for blank media, or something. I would be rewriting to the same one at those prices :P The availability of Hi-MD discs seems to be very rare in real stores in Australia, too, but that's to be expected since we got the Hi-MD axe ;) But you guys are paying double what we are.

for you canadians in AB or BC, check out London Drugs... there's always deals on MD Stuff!

in vancouver at the W Broadway location,

saw the following on sale... all under $10CAD

Sony MD-80mins 2-pack Red/Blue

Maxell MD-80 4-pack Blue

1 Single Hi-Md

also,

Sony MD-80 5-pack multicolor, $14.99

and cheap NetMD units too.

sweet, i know they always advertise the cheap netMDs, but i never knew they sold the 1 gig discs too, thanks, i'll see the next time i go

Where I am from in the UK we have a local(ish) sony centre, in our city centre, about 30mins bus ride, where they sell blue hi-md discs for £4.99, was ages before they got any and they were always selling real quick.

I go in there regularly as im looking to upgrade to an mz-rh10 but EVERYTIME i go in there they are sold out :( the guys in the shop assure me, that they can't keep stock fast enough cus its their best selling product and sony can't ship it in to the uk fast enough :D

Anyway, we also have a dixons shop which sells blank hi-md discs (purple) for £7.99

Well, its not called 'rip-off britain' for no reason you know!

The only bricks and mortar store in the city I live in sells them at 9.99 EUR (about 11.73 USD or 13.97 Canadian).

I bought a batch of 10 from Hong Kong a while back and these have kept me busy for a while, but I generally buy them from Minidisc AU when they have them in stock in batches of 5.

wahaha i went to future shop today and got one of the new blue hi-md discs

same thing happened with Dex, first i went to the section where they usually put all their audio gear and only found normal 80 min discs, then i walked around and saw the discs in the video camera discs section. I was gonna say something to one of the guys who worked there but I didn't want to offend them or not because I'm just a 16 year old haha.

costs 11.99 but darn these blue discs look nice, only thing that sucks is that they smudge very easily with finger prints =/

All my normal MDs for my sony are bought in europe sadly, except the first 5 pack I bougth in A&B sound, same place i got my recorder as well. Never knew london drugs carried any discs, only though A&B sound had them. Anyways, like I mentioned the bulk of my discs were bougth in europe at cheap dirt prices compared to what I would have paid for them here.

Futuershop, I seriously hate that store, but shop there anyways lol. Best buy has become a nice alternative, even had a HD1 player there, but the folks at futureshop are really moronic. Asked the sales rep when the new sony hdd players are expected, he bagan telling me why I wanted a sony and began telling me how atrac sucks, and etc. I explained to him they play mp3s, have better than average battery life and sound amazing. He said why get a sony, just grab an ipod, they are over there. :blink:

I was about to go mental on the guy but decided to let the moron be. he just technically lost a sale there, since the new hdd units are not cheap. I asked the same question at bestbuy, guy told me to check back in 3 weeks, they should have them in. :o classic, best buy takes ownership of futureshop, and is much better place to shop lol.

Purplemoose, if you're still having no luck with discs from your local Sony Centre and if you're planning on visiting London in the near future, try the Sony Centre in Baker Street, (cross Marylebone Road outside the main exit of Baker Street Tube Station). I was in there a couple of days ago and they had 2 packs of blue Hi-MDs for £9.99. Sales guy said they "always" have them.

Afraid he also said that he'd sold his next batch of RH10s that were arriving in January! If it's possible and you're sure you want one, maybe you should pre-order!

Well, no London Drugs out here in Quebec.

Future Shop salesman told me to forget it a week ago, that MD was dead. They didn't even have 72s or 80s left. That they wouldn't restock, and that even the 70s and 80s would not be restocked. Walked over to Radio Shack and they actually told me the same thing!

Been buying 80s mostly at Walmart here in Montreal for 9,99$ CAD for a pair. Sony Store had Hi-MDs, but they keep running out after 2 days of recieving them! I see the packs of 10 stacked up when I manage to buy some. Then I go back a few days later and gone! Selling like crazy here. Independant stereo stores here charge 19.99$CAN for a Hi-MD blank on average. No wonder Sony Stores sell out so fast!

Found www.minidisc-canada.com and now I'm happy. Shipping is insanely fast, they are in the same city. Price is actually great compared to anywhere else for 72s and 80s.

I'd like to find some of the old style Hi-MDs LoL, want the cases. Have a large collection of pre-recorded discs and a lot of the cases are cracked. Could replace them that way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...