Ladies and Gentlemen... RH10 or RH910?

Rate this topic

blu

Hey hey board,

Okay, without directing me to various techi threads, just want to hear from people who have had to make a choice between the rh10 and rh910...

I want usb, optical, and mic-in...and since my 700 unit bit the dust...please inform! The rh10 is hot with it's display but the rh910 seems to be delivering the same bling (sans display)...so please inform! Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Thanks for the replys...

Best!

blu

The only difference is the display. One is better at night (rh10) the other during the day. Most people who own either, usually get a LCD remote to replace the supplied one. The rh910 is better value for money, but it does have white plastic in place and visually isn't as bling as the rh10. Theres some in the gallery I think. The Japanese model rh10 is the one to get for bling. As it has a colour matched remote. Theres a blue on in the gallery.

Edited by Sparky191

The only difference is the display. One is better at night (rh10) the other during the day. Most people who own either, usually get a LCD remote to replace the supplied one. The rh910 is better value for money, but it does have white plastic in place and visually isn't as bling as the rh10. Theres some in the gallery I think. The Japanese model rh10 is the one to get for bling. As it has a colour matched remote. Theres a blue on in the gallery.

The RH10 also ships with the higher capacity NH-14WM battery vs. the NH-10WM battery that comes with the RH910.

Hey hey board,

Okay, without directing me to various techi threads, just want to hear from people who have had to make a choice between the rh10 and rh910...

I want usb, optical, and mic-in...and since my 700 unit bit the dust...please inform! The rh10 is hot with it's display but the rh910 seems to be delivering the same bling (sans display)...so please inform! Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Thanks for the replys...

Best!

blu

Hi , -maybe this will help You - {i marked the diferences in red}.

To me the RH-10 is the ONE to have for little extra $ - the only one thing i'm trying to figure out if editing is possible on the unit, ...maybe some one here will tell me that, - ThnX - Human :)

Sony MZ-RH10 Features:

1].Large 6-Line Organic EL Display on main unit - self-emitting organic EL (electroluminescence) display can be viewed from wide angles and without a backlight

2].Multifunction Remote Control included

3].Aluminum Lid - reduces weight and increases durability

Mic input and Line input - Ability to Record From Multiple Sources (Mic/Line-in)

Self Recording Upload Feature - with option to save in .WAV format

Digital Amplifier - More efficient - uses less energy then traditional analog amplifiers

4]. New Sleek Design - thinner and lighter

Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery included

Store 45 hours (approximately 675 songs) on one Hi-MD\u2122 MiniDisc

Compatible with both Hi-MD\u2122 and Standard MiniDisc media - store 13 hours of music on a standard 80 minute MD

High-Speed PC to MD recording at up to 100X Transfer Speed

Record and Playback Uncompressed Linear PCM Audio using the the line input for recording

1GB Data File Storage - Store and Transfer Presentations, Documents, Spreadsheets and Photos

Archive Data with Low Cost, 1GB Removable Hi-MD\u2122 Media

Music and Data Transfer Powered by USB

Plays Back MP3/ATRAC3®/ATRAC3plus\u2122 Audio Formats

Supports WMA and WAV Audio formats - with conversion to ATRAC3®

Skip-Free G-Protection\u2122 Technology - for virtually uninterrupted playback of your music

Expanded 5 Way Control Jog Dial® Navigation

Compatible with The Connect\u2122 Music Store - Offers one of the most extensive music collections online

SonicStage® Music Management Software Supplied

5]. Up to 33 Hours continuous playback with Rechargeable Battery and one "AA" battery

Inputs: USB, Mic In, Line In (analog and optical digital), DC in 3V

Outputs: Headphone/Remote/Line (1/8" stereo mini plug)

Accessories:

Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery (NH-10WM)

6]. Remote Control

External "AA" Dry Battery Case

7]. Battery Carrying Case

AC Power Adaptor

Earbud headphones

8]. Carrying pouch

USB Cable

1GB Hi-MD\u2122 Disc

PC application software

SonicStage® Software CD-ROM

Simple MD Burner

Dimensions:

3 1/4" x x 3 3/8" x 3/4" (80.2 x 84.1 x 18.9mm)

4.2 oz (120g) without battery

System Requirements:

IBM PC/AT or Compatible (The Software will not run on an Apple Mac)

Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2004 / Windows XP Media Centre Edition/

Windows XP Pro / Home Edition/Windows 2000 / Windows ME / Windows 98SE

CPU: Pentium III 450Mhz or higher

RAM: 128MB or more

Hard Disk Space: 200MB or more

USB port

Display: 800x600 display or better (1024x768 is recommended)

CD-ROM Drive

Soundcard

Battery Life Play

NiMH 32 hr

~~~* more battery life here *~~~ ! ! !

=================================

Sony MZ-RH910 Features:

Large 5-Line LCD Display on main unit - view album, artist and song titles

Mic input and Line input - Ability to Record From Multiple Sources (Mic/Line-in)

Self Recording Upload Feature - with option to save in .WAV format

Digital Amplifier - More efficient - uses less energy then traditional analog amplifiers

Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery included

Store 45 hours (approximately 675 songs) on one Hi-MD\u2122 MiniDisc

Compatible with both Hi-MD\u2122 and Standard MiniDisc media - store 13 hours of music on a standard 80 minute MD

High-Speed PC to MD recording at up to 100X Transfer Speed

Record and Playback Uncompressed Linear PCM Audio using the the line input for recording

1GB Data File Storage - Store and Transfer Presentations, Documents, Spreadsheets and Photos

Archive Data with Low Cost, 1GB Removable Hi-MD\u2122 Media

Music and Data Transfer Powered by USB

Plays Back MP3/ATRAC3®/ATRAC3plus\u2122 Audio Formats

Supports WMA and WAV Audio formats - with conversion to ATRAC3®

Skip-Free G-Protection\u2122 Technology - for virtually uninterrupted playback of your music

Expanded 5 Way Control Jog Dial® Navigation

Compatible with The Connect\u2122 Music Store - Offers one of the most extensive music collections online

SonicStage® Music Management Software Supplied

5].Up to 34.5 Hours continuous playback with Rechargeable Battery and one "AA" battery

Inputs: USB, Mic In, Line In (analog and optical digital), DC in 3V

Outputs: Headphone/Remote/Line (1/8" stereo mini plug)

Supplied Accessories:

Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery

External "AA" Dry Battery Case

AC Power Adaptor

Earbud headphones

USB Cable

1GB Hi-MD\u2122 Disc

PC Application Software: SonicStage® Software CD-ROM, MD Simple Burner

Dimensions:

3 1/4" x 3 3/8" x 27/32" (80.2 x 84.3 x 20.7mm)

4 oz (112g) without battery

System Requirements:

IBM PC/AT or Compatible (The Software will not run on an Apple Mac)

Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2004 / Windows XP Media Centre Edition/

Windows XP Pro / Home Edition/Windows 2000 / Windows ME / Windows 98SE

CPU: Pentium III 450Mhz or higher

RAM: 128MB or more

Hard Disk Space: 200MB or more

USB port

Display: 800x600 display or better (1024x768 is recommended)

CD-ROM Drive

Soundcard

Battery Life Play

NiMH 25 hr

... less battery life here ...

Edited by Human

I think I have made a strange observation for myself:

Last year I bought a NH600 and was happy.

A few months ago I bought a RH910 and was even happier:

sound quality had increased.

I have just bought a RH10 and thought the technique inside

was the same as the RH910 but it sounds even better,

considerably "fuller". How can that be? Needless to say

I am ever more happy ;-)

Phoenix

I have just bought a RH10 and thought the technique inside was the same as the RH910 but it sounds even better, considerably "fuller". How can that be? Needless to say I am ever more happy ;-)

Phoenix

I find it hard to believe that the RH10 would sound better than the RH910. They should use the same amp.

I wonder how happy you would be if you had bought a player that has the HD Digital Amp ;)

Edited by richyhu

I find it hard to believe that the RH10 would sound better than the RH910. They should use the same amp.

I wonder how happy you would be if you had bought a player that has the HD Digital Amp ;)

You know, I was wondering about that already myself ;-)

I didn't intend to bring the topic up because it's such a subjective experience

and just to be appreciative of it. But this thread tempted me to do otherwise.

I had already been following the discussions for a while before I decided to get the nh600

as a budget model. I use it mainly to record radio shows.

I live in Germany and when I saw the RH910 advertised in German internet shops I "jumped"

at the chance because the model wasn't officially foreseen for our market. This time it wasn't

mainly a budget decision. I had read a lot about the scratchable surface of the RH10, the

difficulty to read the oled screen in bright sunlight and thought that the somewhat longer durability

of the battery would be an advantage too and had expected a sound improvement in comparison

to the NH600.

Then I got nervous because of alle the discussions of the demise of HI-MD so I decided to get

another unit, this time a RH10 for the sake of variation. I am for sure the only one to get a RH10

as a reserve for the RH910 ;-) I wasn't expecting more than the OLED and was really debating

with myself whether I was really being foolish. But when the RH10 arrived and I had tried it out

I was really excelerated because it exceeded my expectations.

The RH-910 sounds just like the descriptions of the 2 Generation. I have never heard a NH900 or

NH1 live but I think my RH10 sounds like what I would have expected from them. Strange? Definitely

purely speculative. Just one very happy customer now ;-)

Sorry for the late reply...

Just wanted to say however, Biggest thanks to you all! Sparky191, richyhu, Human!, and Pheonix!!!!! You guys are the best and I've received so much vital and important input from your replies...the biggest appreciation EVER!!!

I havn't made up my mind as of today but with all of your input I'm sure I will make the right decision! I'm so grateful for your responses...it means the world to me! I'll update you guys once I make a final decision.

Best Always,

blu

Sorry for the late reply...

Just wanted to say however, Biggest thanks to you all! Sparky191, richyhu, Human!, and Pheonix!!!!! You guys are the best and I've received so much vital and important input from your replies...the biggest appreciation EVER!!!

I havn't made up my mind as of today but with all of your input I'm sure I will make the right decision! I'm so grateful for your responses...it means the world to me! I'll update you guys once I make a final decision.

Best Always,

blu

Hi blue, -

... nice to see /hear from You again. I was thinking that You got the player and are totally "lost" in Your music :)

If You were reading my other posts here You could figure out that I'm also here to ask for help from much experienced bunch of owners of various Hi-MD models, - at one point of my research if found a web site with Features listed for both models. So I shared it with You.

The one thing I noticed today is that on top of my post there is this:

Denon CDR-201SA Presta CD Recorder Deck

--------------------------

..... looks that it got there by mistake, and I hope it did NOT confused You to much :)

I think I had that on the open "New message" where I first compose my posts, do ABC Spelling check, and then post them.

I think I was checking AudioCubes site and copy this Denon "thing".

In any case wishing You ALL the best.

Yes indeed, people here are willing to help, and spare their time to share info.

Thanks to Them from me also.

Cheeers to ALL, ......

Hi blue, -

... nice to see /hear from You again. I was thinking that You got the player and are totally "lost" in Your music :)

If You were reading my other posts here You could figure out that I'm also here to ask for help from much experienced bunch of owners of various Hi-MD models, - at one point of my research if found a web site with Features listed for both models. So I shared it with You.

The one thing I noticed today is that on top of my post there is this:

Denon CDR-201SA Presta CD Recorder Deck

--------------------------

..... looks that it got there by mistake, and I hope it did NOT confused You to much :)

I think I had that on the open "New message" where I first compose my posts, do ABC Spelling check, and then post them.

I think I was checking AudioCubes site and copy this Denon "thing".

In any case wishing You ALL the best.

Yes indeed, people here are willing to help, and spare their time to share info.

Thanks to Them from me also.

Cheeers to ALL, ......

Hi Human,

You're the best and funny too. Thanks so much for the informative and uber-detailed post--it has helped me tremendously and I've made my decision to go for the rh10! However, I went to Ikea and bought of bunch of furniture so I will have to wait a bit longer to save up some extra cashola for the md bling... Anywayways, I sincerely appreciate your follow-up post and inquiry...you're too kind! Well, let me just say that in about two or so weeks I will follow up with my new purchase/review (although I've never done a formal review as such...but, I'll give it my best shot).

Anyways, no, I didn't get confused with your Denon bling conversation, lol! I may be stepping up to Denon bling, however, someday...but not likely too soon (I'm very low-tech :blink: )

Thanks again for all of your help Human!

Best always,

blu

I have the RH10

and the Organic illumination is amazing: but novel.

I actually wish i could have a backlight instead because: the illumination seems to use lots more power than my old MD :( 33hours just wont happen: i swear!

Plus is bright light its very hard to read.

Also when i am in bed listing to it: it lights up the whole room even though its just 3 little bits of light :)

The RH10 is an amazing machine: but it's not the best in extreme light or when you want darkness and conserve power.

as I do not own a RH10, I cannot say this for sure... but I kinda remember soneone telling about different options for the OLED like 'brightness', 'always on/auto on off' etc. so perhaps someone might pop up and confirm/reject this or otherwise someone might just search the RH10's manual for these features

Low Volta:

Theres two settings for the OELD

always on = very bright when you push a botton then down to a dimmer glow. you can't see this dim in direct light.

Auto = Very bright when you touch a botton; then dim- scrolling through the track name artist and album then a play triangle and battary level indicator remain. thats all.

thanks alexx... then it seems that for stealth recording in the dark, the RM-MC40ELK remote is still the best way to go...

which brings the choice down to two simple questions:

- do you have enough budget for the RH10 + RM-MC40ELK? if not -> RH910+RM-MC40ELK

- do you think the OLED is worth the extra money, given the fact that you won't be really using it for stealthing as it is too bright? if not -> spend that money on 1gb discs and get the RH910+RM40ELK

still only my opinion of course

volta to be stealthy just hide it in your jacket- when its just the battery symbol its not that bright.

The organic illumination is AMAZING to see.

and in about 90% of cases it does me fine.

however I got the standard remote for it. the glowing remot would have been cool but where to buy one :( (im not big on online shopping)

Best thing to do is just get a standard 900 then a glowing remote with the cash you save IMO :)