Gone to Hi-MD Valhalla...

Rate this topic

Gregor

After purchasing the fantastic silver MZ-N910 (the jog dial on the body of which was the greatest ever MD control in my humble opinion) in early 2003 and probably dropping it more than once (using it at the gym), I upgraded to Hi-MD the day that the N910 unit went to NetMD Valhalla.

I remember it well, I went to the stores that sold MD and looked at the shiny MZ-NH1. Of course, I had the option of buying the non flagship first generation Hi-MD units, but I spent the extra money and bought the best unit, the NH1. That was back in early/mid 2005.

That unit has given me 2 years of joy. I remember saying to myself, if it lasts me 2 years, then thats only 1 dollar a day.

Well, I have great regret to announce that after dropping the unit for the umpteenth time today (although this time on carpet) it is not reading discs, and is giving me a constant whirring noise, such that when I eject the disc the disc is still spinning very fast.

Yes, the MZ-NH1 I have used for 2 years or more is now in Hi-MD Valhalla.

I have dropped the thing at the gym, on the street, on hard cobblestones more than a dozen times.

Now I am going to buy another unit, and I like the NH1 so much I want to buy it again. But tell me, how in the world can I affix rubber or something that looks ok to my unit so that when I inevitably drop it again, it will have a long and happy life?

Should I be getting the RH1?

I really love the Hi-MD format. Yes, its takes time to transfer MP3s to the NH1, but it was a great unit. Magnesium body etc.

One think that did happen at the end of its life was that the film that covered the front of the unit started to peel and I think that caused oxidation and discoloration on the body of the unit itself. I rarely used the separate control unit, choosing to use the controls on the body itself.

Should I be getting something totally different? ei an EvilWhiteKartelPod or some such thing?

Edited by GregorMD

After purchasing the fantastic silver MZ-N910 (the jog dial on the body of which was the greatest ever MD control in my humble opinion) in early 2003 and probably dropping it more than once (using it at the gym), I upgraded to Hi-MD the day that the N910 unit went to NetMD Valhalla.

I remember it well, I went to the stores that sold MD and looked at the shiny MZ-NH1. Of course, I had the option of buying the non flagship first generation Hi-MD units, but I spent the extra money and bought the best unit, the NH1. That was back in early/mid 2005.

That unit has given me 2 years of joy. I remember saying to myself, if it lasts me 2 years, then thats only 1 dollar a day.

Well, I have great regret to announce that after dropping the unit for the umpteenth time today (although this time on carpet) it is not reading discs, and is giving me a constant whirring noise, such that when I eject the disc the disc is still spinning very fast.

Yes, the MZ-NH1 I have used for 2 years or more is now in Hi-MD Valhalla.

I have dropped the thing at the gym, on the street, on hard cobblestones more than a dozen times.

Now I am going to buy another unit, and I like the NH1 so much I want to buy it again. But tell me, how in the world can I affix rubber or something that looks ok to my unit so that when I inevitably drop it again, it will have a long and happy life?

Should I be getting the RH1?

I really love the Hi-MD format. Yes, its takes time to transfer MP3s to the NH1, but it was a great unit. Magnesium body etc.

One think that did happen at the end of its life was that the film that covered the front of the unit started to peel and I think that caused oxidation and discoloration on the body of the unit itself. I rarely used the separate control unit, choosing to use the controls on the body itself.

Should I be getting something totally different? ei an EvilWhiteKartelPod or some such thing?

Wow dude , um my MZ-R 50 still works we are talking WAY back here, my MZ -R 70 lasted 6 years.

The recorder is a thing of beauty and should be treated as a ( dare I say it ) Sacred object, ( not that I would worship my MD)

But some due defferance and respect would be nice.... and would it be such a bad thing if you "Dropped " The White Kartel non moving part containing obect ? I shudder at the sight of glissining polished metal alloys contacting hard cobblestone, and the Goergeous screen shattering and scatterring its words of encourgement, all over the unfeeling pavement. The last fighting gasp of the Laser trying to read that last few notes of the sheet music of life, Ohhh the pain ,.....oh the Humantiy ,......

Get a cheap MP3 player , and beat the crap out of it,

TC

Get a cheap MP3 player , and beat the crap out of it,

TC

I agree. You can keep similar sound quality by going with a Sony flash MP3 player. With that said, the RH1 is an excellent recorder. I use my NH3D and EH1 for playback far more than any recorder I own though. For active situations, like exercise, I use a flash mp3 player.

If you want to stick with HiMD, then I would suggest a less expensive model like an NH600(D) for exercising and stuff. For the everyday use, keep the MD in your pocket and use a remote.

Agreed. I used to be rough on my units, now I baby them in cases, use remotes, etc... What I love about your story is hearing how many hard drops that unit DID survive. Awesome.

If you haven't heard the term "beater unit" yet, then that's what many of us suggest when it comes to rugged, outdoor on-the-go situations. For instance, I would never take a prized MZ-EH1 outside for anything other than walking out to get the mail, but even then it would be in a case. I use an NH900 for my rugged stuff only because I HAD dropped it many times and its my first unit (still kicking)... but a DH710 or 600D would be perfect to have as a safety if you want another nice hi-end MD player.

I use my units working out and would agree with some padded sleeve / protection of some sort. I have one that doesn't add any bulk at all to the unit. The RH1 is a cool machine, I admit I have dropped it - though not on concrete. I have a sharp unit that I have dropped all over the place, eight years on and it is still strong!!

I use my units working out and would agree with some padded sleeve / protection of some sort. I have one that doesn't add any bulk at all to the unit. The RH1 is a cool machine, I admit I have dropped it - though not on concrete. I have a sharp unit that I have dropped all over the place, eight years on and it is still strong!!

I have a feeling that HiMD gear isn't as sturdy as the classic legacy units... the classic saying "they don't make them like they used to" may hold true. I dropped an RH10 several times, and several times too many... it went bad on me. Though I must admit my NH900 has taken quite a beating and still works well :P

Today I became the proud daddy of a black MZ-RH1. There was no silver one available where I purchased it but I'm happier than I thought at the black one.

I'll have to think carefully how to wear it, use it, store it. I like the remote but theres just an extra wire/thingy that I simply dont need.

"They dont make em like they used to"

I passed my mz-e-25 to my 12 year old yesterday , .......it doesnt do LP, it doesnt do HI-MD, it doesnt have EQ or Groups or anything , but he sat ..........Listening , ...........to ...Rush, " Moving Pictures" , ,,,and was Happy ,.........now you have ......

The Rest of the Story........g,day!

Wow.

What can I say. I wanted silver, heck I would have even bought another NH1. But the RH1 is super - and the black model is even better looking than I thought.

First, it is a striking unit. I cant think of many others made with black metal like that. I just wonder how sturdy it is compared to the NH1.

Second, the MP3 transfer is great. It saves a lot of time compared to using the conversion on the old NH1. Really, apart from starting up SS I think it must be just as fast as direct drag and drop.

Third, I like the earphones that come with it - not too bad.

Fourth, I can use the remote and the battery from the NH1 as spares.

Fifth, the USB power is a very good idea. And the charger is quite small for travel if I know I wont have access to a USB port.

Sixth, I very nearly bought one of the new Sony NWS200 sports walkmans. I can see the advantages - smaller, sweat resistant and 2 GB for the better model. But then I thought, hang on, will I use:

1 Shake 3 times shuffle? NO

2 Armbad NO

3 Calorie counter?? NO

4 Pedometer? No

And what is the point of one of these devices or one of the sony USB stick walkmans if you cant transfer without loading SS. If I am travelling internationally thats no good. So for music for prolonged travel, I will just use my phone which has MP3 drag and drop capablities. When will they ever learn that drag and drop is the only way to go for the smaller DAP devices?

Anyway, the MZ-RH1 really is better than the NH1, I can't believe it.