CMT-PX7 - has anyone seen one?

Rate this topic

sfbp

I am quite intrigued by the specifications of the CMT-PX7.

Has anyone ever seen one of these? It has a 3-CD changer and a 3-MD changer.

I know that its little brother the CMT-PX3 (I have 2, one in England I am still looking to unload) is one of the most reliable units I've ever seen. Both machines have MDLP (CXD2662 or equivalent). There is also a PX5 - there's one on Yahoo Japan - with 3CD and 1MD which is less interesting to me. The PX7 is claimed to be usb-controllable, but the manual I found shows a PS/2 socket just as I would expect from that era, instead of USB.

Intriguingly the PX3 was sold under the moniker DHC-595MD - weird eh? So perhaps the PX7 has another name????

Inquiring minds, dontcha know?

Sigh, I found the reason I couldn't see any for sale. They got listed as HMC-PX7.

Amazingly there were two listed on Yahoo Japan, I bought one buy-it-now for $50 or so. The killer will be the shipping, I shall have to negotiate with Buyee and see if they will throw away the speakers and save me the cost of that, if it makes a huge difference.

Nice looking device. Don't think I've ever seen one with such a large screen. There are some pictures on the MiniDisc Wiki: https://www.minidisc.wiki/equipment/sony/bookshelf/cmt-px7

I seem to remember Techmoan mentioning issues with importing speakers from Japan due to restrictions in shipping magnets or something. Can't remember which video it was now though. Also not sure if it was a UK issue or a Japanese issue. So not much help 🤦‍♂️

7 hours ago, BearBoy said:

Nice looking device. Don't think I've ever seen one with such a large screen. There are some pictures on the MiniDisc Wiki: https://www.minidisc.wiki/equipment/sony/bookshelf/cmt-px7

I seem to remember Techmoan mentioning issues with importing speakers from Japan due to restrictions in shipping magnets or something. Can't remember which video it was now though. Also not sure if it was a UK issue or a Japanese issue. So not much help 🤦‍♂️

I think shipping speakers, some companies won't ship them indeed because of the magnets, but I believe DHL should do. Conversely (or perhaps perversely) DHL won't ship Ni-Mh batteries, but FedEx will. 

I'm pretty sure these are standard connectors and the wires just go straight through. Crossing my fingers that it's there anyway. In the unlikely event Encompass has it, the cost will be 2-3 times what I paid for the entire kit and caboodle, so self-manufacture seems the way to go

• 10 months later...

I now have two PX7's completely working. Blood, sweat, toil and tears and I know more about MD and CD stockers than I ever wanted to. The biggest cost was the shipping,

I also have a completely non-working spare MD stocker (including MDM-7B which works) and CD unit (mostly gibbled, a non-working cd laser assembly, and a completely stuck stocker)

Happy New Year to all!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think what they must have meant (in AD 2000/2001) was via MCrew and the PCLK-MN20.

So yes, that absolutely works great. But no direct USB I/O of music. And like all other Sony Devices, no way to get digital OUT without hacking the device. I am sure it can be hacked, but at this juncture I simply don't care, there are plenty of ways to get that on other MD decks.