Wanted Sony MZ-NH3D

Rate this topic

Capturing Memories

6 hours ago, Capturing Memories said:

I know, you would think this is just a streamer that no one wants since it doesn't record from an input but for some reason it is hard to find, maybe they didn't make a lot of them back in the day.

Well, for starters it was a Japan only unit so that was the only source for them. It does have both USB connectivity and Hi-MD and is an all metal unit, so it's pretty desirable compared to other cheaper units available outside of Japan. It was a flagship unit from the 1st gen Hi-MD but, was discontinued relatively quickly (but still on sale for a while). That said one of the members here came across a lot of surplus stock at one reseller, but that was in around 2007.  

On 10/19/2023 at 4:58 PM, Capturing Memories said:

Not intending to use the battery since it can be powered via USB, The intended use is only with Web MiniDisc Pro.

Seems a bit of a shame not to actually use it as a player? Might as well get an NH600D if you just want a  USB writer. You can get some aftermarket batteries from Gerry Li - haven't tried them myself

I'm in the media archiving business and I got inquiries about transferring personal recordings to computer, I just need a way to dump the files from disc to computer with no alteration in a faster than real time if using coaxial or optical, The NH3D does exactly what I need, I initially was looking for a PC MD drive just like I do for DAT audio tapes with a DDS drive but I couldn't find such a drive.

4 hours ago, Capturing Memories said:

I'm in the media archiving business and I got inquiries about transferring personal recordings to computer, I just need a way to dump the files from disc to computer with no alteration in a faster than real time if using coaxial or optical, The NH3D does exactly what I need, I initially was looking for a PC MD drive just like I do for DAT audio tapes with a DDS drive but I couldn't find such a drive.

Well there was the DS-HMD1 external Hi-MD drive, but that was also Japan only and for some reason they go for silly money now as well. The NH600D would do what you want and is probably a lot cheaper and easier to find given that it was sold worldwide and not just in Japan. The same for models like the MZ-NH700, MZ-NHF800, MZ-NH900. 

If you don't specifically need the Hi-MD functionality then you could even look for an older NetMD machine that can be used with WebMinidiscPro.

Interesting, I was not aware of the DS-HMD1, Does it do all the functions the MZ-NH3D does?

For some reason I forgot to mention that I won an auction in Japan last week for the Sony MZ-NH3D, Here is the link. Now I'm faced with a new problem which is the obsolete proprietary USB cable, With a little bit of research I found out that an adapter called BCA-NWHD3 used with later Sony media players can be used with NetMD devices that use the proprietary connection, but that too seem to be very hard to find.

I would like to reach out to members here who have a spare on unused cable or adapter and willing to sell it please PM me.

7 hours ago, Capturing Memories said:

For some reason I forgot to mention that I won an auction in Japan last week for the Sony MZ-NH3D, Here is the link. Now I'm faced with a new problem which is the obsolete proprietary USB cable, With a little bit of research I found out that an adapter called BCA-NWHD3 used with later Sony media players can be used with NetMD devices that use the proprietary connection, but that too seem to be very hard to find.

I would like to reach out to members here who have a spare on unused cable or adapter and willing to sell it please PM me.

The Gerry that @Richard recommended might be able to help you. You can find him over on the r/minidisc Reddit. His username is u/gerry88inHongKong. He seems to be able to get hold of pretty much every obscure MiniDisc accessory going. I bought an adaptor for an MZ-E30 from him a while back and everything went smoothly.

I remember having a chat with someone in reddit and went back to check and he was indeed u/gerry88inHongKong. However he doesn't seem to use online platforms for selling and wants some direct form of payment so I concluded he was a scammer, And frankly even now knowing who he is I still don't feel comfortable wiring or sending money with no guarantee of delivery. And I think he is banned from reddit as of now, It returns no one goes by that name message.

He's still showing on there for me: https://www.reddit.com/user/gerry88inHongKong/

I can only speak from my own previous experience but he sent what I ordered promptly and it was exactly as described. Think I paid via PayPal so there would have been some protection if he had been a scammer. Appreciate it is something of a leap in the dark though if you're not using one of the mainstream auction/sales sites and I am not sure I would have taken the plunge for anything of a high value.