Full face Minidisc label template

Rate this topic

Roger2005

Hi there ! 

I'm looking for a template (ideally a photoshop PSD file)

for a full face label like the one you see in this video...

Anyone has this here ?

I could ask the guy from the video but first i'm not that much into typing my email in a youtube comment,

second i don't know if he's around to answer to it...

BTW, i'm planning to print a really full faced sticker label, unlike his that has this hole for the sliding piece.

Thanks if anybody can help...!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi & thanks for your answer & the links,

(i'm french btw :) )

I since gone ahead and made the template.

Here are my first tests, if anyone is interested in getting the template i made for those sticker prints,

or even need some details, a tutorial on this, please message me and i'll be happy to do a real post for this as there's a thing or two that are a bit tricky to get this done,

but nothing really complicated.

To use the template, you'll need photoshop and some basic skills on it. I can explain the whole process as i said.

I'll try to post some better quality pictures soon as those don't really do justice to the results,

you can see there are a few bubbles here & there on some but those are my first attempts so...

IMG_20180829_141846.jpg

IMG_20180829_141948.jpg

I love the appearance. But I feel obligated to throw up a flag here. If the (sticky) paper ever got stuck in the very delicate shutter mechanism, it seems to me that one such disk would have the capacity to wreck multiple MD recorders. I've had some problems over the years with sticky labels. This "full paper jacket" approach seems to my (perhaps too fussy) eye to have the possibility of breaking the spring at the very least. Or worse, to jam the disk in the mechanism which is delicate at the best of times.  I well recall a unit that had been ruined by someone, probably in a classroom, forcing an MD in the wrong orientation (there are 7 wrong ones and only one right!) and busting the OW head and more.

Now if one could 3D-print an entire new MD case that would be another matter :)

But perhaps I have misunderstood the nature of the modifications.......

Kind regards

I did the same with transparent tape. Till the tape does not cover the shutter mechanism area, it work. My choice is to avoid also the part up to the shutter mechanism area. So wait and see Roger"s work.

About your 3D-print Stephen, it would be cool if this the one for storing MD +/- MD box in a CD box or a DVD Box. I have a friend who have a 3D printer.

170721040037824464.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/30/2018 at 5:59 PM, PhilippeC said:

I did the same with transparent tape. Till the tape does not cover the shutter mechanism area, it work. My choice is to avoid also the part up to the shutter mechanism area. So wait and see Roger"s work.

About your 3D-print Stephen, it would be cool if this the one for storing MD +/- MD box in a CD box or a DVD Box. I have a friend who have a 3D printer.

170721040037824464.jpg

Hi all, 

Do you know where I Can find this file to print in 3D? 

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2018 at 4:59 PM, PhilippeC said:

170721040037824464.jpg

Anyone interested in MD cases like the above one in PhillipeC's post (ie a CD case which will fit an MD) there are 10 going on eBay right now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minidisc-Storage-Cases-X10/382791126373?hash=item5920210d65:g:7xsAAOSw5r1cQ3KB:rk:71:pf:0

• 3 weeks later...

hey @Roger2005 love your full body labels! Have you thought about using some sort of transfer paper to get the ink directly onto the MD? Like a tattoo transfer paper with a cold peel? 

I know you’d probably have to spray the MDs with some kind of white paint or coating as most are transparent plastic cases.. but just an idea! 

Something like this but much cheaper.. 

1 hour ago, reminiz said:

hey @Roger2005 love your full body labels! Have you thought about using some sort of transfer paper to get the ink directly onto the MD? Like a tattoo transfer paper with a cold peel? 

I know you’d probably have to spray the MDs with some kind of white paint or coating as most are transparent plastic cases.. but just an idea! 

Something like this but much cheaper.. 

Hi ! I finally have some time to give some news.

For your idea reminiz, the problem is that those are for white objets only. This would need a special kind of printing like decals with white available in the printer also. I know some factories that do exactly that, but it's expensive.

Sfbp, I understand your fear, but it doesn't seems to be a problem. I haven't really manipulated them enough to be sure of it. 

I'll go back to it, do some more and make sure it stays ok over time & handling, and if everything's fine, i'll post some detailed steps on how to get them like this, along with a photoshop template if anybody's interested. 

On 3/20/2019 at 2:10 AM, Roger2005 said:

Hi ! I finally have some time to give some news.

For your idea reminiz, the problem is that those are for white objets only. This would need a special kind of printing like decals with white available in the printer also. I know some factories that do exactly that, but it's expensive.

Sfbp, I understand your fear, but it doesn't seems to be a problem. I haven't really manipulated them enough to be sure of it. 

I'll go back to it, do some more and make sure it stays ok over time & handling, and if everything's fine, i'll post some detailed steps on how to get them like this, along with a photoshop template if anybody's interested. 

@Roger2005 I found another way that might be useful! Instead of tattoo like transfers, something like vinyl could work. 

Printable HTV (Heat Transfer Vinyl), you can print on these in your inkjet then cut them out of the template then use a iron or heat gun to apply to the MD.. I think the transfers come with heat protective film. 

Im going to try this myself on a few MDs, just waiting on the sheets to arrive. 

1 hour ago, reminiz said:

@Roger2005 I found another way that might be useful! Instead of tattoo like transfers, something like vinyl could work. 

Printable HTV (Heat Transfer Vinyl), you can print on these in your inkjet then cut them out of the template then use a iron or heat gun to apply to the MD.. I think the transfers come with heat protective film. 

Im going to try this myself on a few MDs, just waiting on the sheets to arrive. 

so...heat gun on plastic MD ? really ?

:\

Hi everybody. An easier and cheaper way to print a label is to print it on a standard paper then fix it with large scotch sticker (making sure there are only very tiny air bubbles), doing the same with the thin banner on the side. Just making sure you do not scratch the MD with the cutter.

@reminiz rather than your full design vinyl (yes I am myself afraid of using heat gun @Roger2005), you should try drawing pencils like Poscam® which can fulfill your creativity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bbcMYDnOrM

A software like IPaint-Machine can help you a lot. This quite difficult to download it now from the web but if you PM me I can send it to you. Photoshop is the best nethertheless...

http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/i/ipaint-machine-68143-2.jpeg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...