Sony Hi-MD Disc | HMD1GL Blue

Ishiyoshi

Nice pics smile.gif

So Hi-MDs from Sony only come in like 2 colours right now? Original and "new" blue? Kinda strange considering they could make them in all colours/designs just as easily--I mean what is the difference the screened writing on the disc/shutter and perhaps a detection hole (or absence of one), compared to a std. MD? At the very least they could make them in the venerable "colour collection" colours--Onyx Black, Topaz Yellow, Sapphire Blue, Ruby Red, Emerald Green, and whatever they called the purple one... Strange that they are on 2nd generation units but still pretty lax on making different discs!

Nice pictures!

That new blank Hi-MD disk Sony 1GB is produce in USA and Canada.

Other new blank Hi-MD 1GB for Europe, the colour of case is white and blue circle (center). I've got catalogue (format A5 size from March 2005) Sony official for Europe with italian language. I'm sorry my old scanner Dexxa 4800 (format A4 size) that isn't compatible driver mad.gif with OS Winzozz XP Professional. You would like to look my pictures of catalogue!

Nice pictures!

That new blank Hi-MD disk Sony 1GB is produce in USA and Canada.

Other new blank Hi-MD 1GB for Europe, the colour of case is white and blue circle (center).  I've got catalogue (format A5 size from March 2005) Sony official for Europe with italian language.  I'm sorry my old scanner Dexxa 4800 (format A4 size) that isn't compatible driver  mad.gif  with OS Winzozz XP Professional.  You would like to look my pictures of catalogue!

Sounds interesting. Is there a .pdf link to this Italian catalog?

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a look around and found this:

user posted image

I'm not sure where they come from, but it was on eBay UK. And they were selling at £22 ohmy.gif.

Can't find any other pictures except for that packaging though sad.gif

EDIT: Looking again, you can get them for a fiver, but they're only single disk packs it looks like. I'll order one soon (when I get a unit myself) and post some pictures.

Edited by LJM

I'm not sure where they come from, but it was on eBay UK. And they were selling at £22 ohmy.gif.

Can't find any other pictures except for that packaging though sad.gif

The 1GB Hi-MD disc package shown above is of European market (available via Amazon.com Germany); and the disc itself is identical to the North American release.

• 2 months later...

I' m a little disappointed that there no 5.4 x 3.8 cm writing screen to put pretty labels...

When I've got a printer, I plan to print off labels containing info on what's on the Hi-MD, and label it with a number. Then I can stick that to the inside of the clear case - where the insert usually goes - and write the number onto the Hi-MD. That way, I can't get the Hi-MDs and cases mixed up. :D

i just bought one and my they are sexy!

as much as i liked the retro styling of the old black and red cases i think im converted to the pull apart design with the index card inside... anyone know where i can buy just the cases??

For generic MD case, you can get them from MiniDisc Access; and for the originals, you will need to check with eBay from time to time.

I believe the new blue discs have just been released in Japan with yet another slight variation on the packaging (but same discs).

IPB Image

I'm SO relieved they added the "for Music and Data use"... I was wondering if these hi-MD discs were for also for street hockey.

• 2 months later...

Strange, i bought mine in Singapore and got the Europe version. I can't seem to find any of the purple Hi-MD discs. All were completely replaced by the Europe version.

Lets take a look at some of the photos i took, although photos of this has already been posted. Just bought mine today.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I think its a shame sony traded the nice look of the first Hi-MDs for the cheap-looking translucent design.

IPB Image

I much prefer their initial design,. The old BASIC discs and of course the 'Elevated Standard' have always been among my favorites.

Edited by Jacques

I think its a shame sony traded the nice look of the first Hi-MDs for the cheap-looking translucent design.

I couldn't disagree with you more, I'm afraid. I absolutely HATED those dull grey CARTRIDGES. But of course having a choice is always best. But I despised the look of the 1st gen HiMD discs so much that I only used standard MDs in my HiMD player for the longest time.

Here are some more of my Blue HiMD labels if anyone is inerested:

IPB Image

I couldn't disagree with you more, I'm afraid. I absolutely HATED those dull grey CARTRIDGES. But of course having a choice is always best. But I despised the look of the 1st gen HiMD discs so much that I only used standard MDs in my HiMD player for the longest time.

Here are some more of my Blue HiMD labels if anyone is inerested:

IPB Image

are these stickers? how did you make them?

I found the following link using google. It has PNG and Photoshop templates to use with avery (or any other brand) sticker sheets, along with a short tutorial to take you through the process:

http://scottishot.rkone.org/minidisclabels.php

BTW, Raja: Grey Cartridges? I think you may be thinking of something else...I was talking about the first round of Hi-MD discs. You know, the navy with red border?

Edited by akijikan

I found the following link using google. It has PNG and Photoshop templates to use with avery (or any other brand) sticker sheets, along with a short tutorial to take you through the process:

http://scottishot.rkone.org/minidisclabels.php

BTW, Raja: Grey Cartridges? I think you may be thinking of something else...I was talking about the first round of Hi-MD discs. You know, the navy with red border?

1 - That link makes it WAY too complicated for me, which is why I like the PRE-cut sticky-labels provided by NEATO... all I do is PRINT, PEEL and STICK. But again, these minidisc label sheets are getting more difficult to come by.

2 - I am talking about the same HiMD discs you are (I suppose they are blue, I found them rather blah, so I call them grey) - see The Cure pic below... I call them "cartridges" because Sony tried to disguise the fact that there is a CD inside, to try to push the 1GB portable DATA storage angle.

IPB Image

Edited by theblueraja

I call them "cartridges" because Sony tried to disguise the fact that there is a CD inside, to try to push the 1GB portable DATA storage angle

I never looked at it in the marketing way you just explained. The only reason I use the templates and the sticker sheets is that I can't find the neato labels readily available. Any suggestions on locating some?