A Beautiful Revelation -- the Epic MZ-RH1 Arrives

Christopher

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the excitement the MZ-RH1 and MZ-M200 has on this group. They have certainly stirred everyone up.

I know some people with IPuds and they are even looking at this unit-go figure!

I spoke with the Sound Professionals and they said the MZ-RH1 will only be released in USA in SILVER......

Thats too bad, the black unit is really sexy.

Can anyone tell me what the big difference is if a unit is purchased in Japan? Is the unit the same as the usa release except I think they have both silver and black.

Is operation the same? Display in English??

Thanks for any thoughts

O

I know some people with IPuds and they are even looking at this unit-go figure!

I've got an ipod and use it way more then my MD...but then again I only record concerts with my MD as its too slow for transfering music to.

I spoke with the Sound Professionals and they said the MZ-RH1 will only be released in USA in SILVER......

Did Chris say when it was going to be out? I dont care what color it comes in as long as it works as well as my RH10.

If you import it from Japan it should have all engligh menus and it might even have the user manual written in english.

Not really, why do you need AAC DRM? Once MP3 starts to fade and people see the benefits of AAC; lots of non-DRM files will start flying about and people will encode in AAC.

I'm at the moment testing AAC encoders (especially Nero's newest release) and it has far better benefits than MP3 in terms of quality/space.

MP3 won't fade, unless all electronics manufactures are bought out by the RIAA. It's de-facto standard in digital audio, just like AudioCD won't fade anytime soon.

As for sound quality, at 128kbps and higher, MP3 and AAC are still on par. The latest Lame MP3 -V 5 can still pack a punch in ABX tests. The only way I see is if we go to 64kbps and below, which HE-AAC is a better solution than AAC. Too bad not many devices and software support HE-AAC yet. Even iTunes doesn't support HE-AAC, despite Apple bringing AAC to the masses with iTMS.

I don't see any signs of the RH1 in the US. Is it even coming? Why does it take so long? SS CP 4.0 is released already. Does Sony USA hire monkeys to make marketing decisions? That is if they even have a marketing department in the first place. I'm just afraid that the tight grasp of Sony music in the US might affect this. Is Sony USA decided to neuter its DVD player's Divx capability vs Canadian version, I can see Sony USA neutering the uploading capability of the RH1 in the US, or not releasing it at all. That might explain the delay since they have to re-program the firmware and switching the assembly line. So monkeys may be smarter than Sony execs.

Edited by pata2001

//// Did Chris say when it was going to be out? I dont care what color it comes in as long as it works as well as my RH10. ////

They would not even GUESS when the release would be in the States. Don't know what the hold up is since early guesstimates were release date of late May/Early June.

Personally, my old MD is silver, and as much as I like it, I'd prefer the black one this time. It just looks better......

I think there is a wall charger thing that connects to a USB for charging that comes with it. I could be wrong but for some reason I remember seeing this somewhere..

The RH1 does ship with this very item, or at least the European version does. Seems to charge quicker via the mains charger than USB too.

yabba dabba do

I am now the proud owner of of the new BLACK MZRH1.

Can I oomplain? Hells no!

Especially after learning that the US might not even get this product and it is in VERY short but HIGH demand here in Canada..

Really amkes me wonder? Is this MD/Hi-MDs last grasp?

Is this their "thank you" to the Legacy users and Hi-MD community for staying committed while the head execs actually get themselves committed?

LOL

well what do the rest of you think? is this format really now dead in North America?

Does it only have a decent fanbase in the UK/Europe & parts of Asia?

//// well what do the rest of you think? is this format really now dead in North America? Does it only have a decent fanbase in the UK/Europe & parts of Asia? ////

Well, to determine what will happen, you really need to be a marketing technition.

However, the MD has been reliable and held a toehold in the North America market since it first came out.

I think what hurt the marketing was the fact that Sony really didn't put a lot of effort into the advertising end in North America, at least I never saw very many ads.

Plus the fact that SONY kept taking away or adding limited features. That was the main reason I did not upgrade, my old unit did more than the newer units, so that resulted in NO SALE for Sony.

With the advent of the MZ-RH1 and sister unit MZ-M200, all the features are included and it has been improved to Professional levels. The Professional market has had limited interest, again, the games with limited features hurt, but now the professional market has the most compact recording studio that money can buy as well as an excellant recorder for interviews and sound bites.

Nothing before could match these units and with the added feature of using as an additional drive on the computer, the use has become quite flexible.

I think the orginial goal to replace the Cassette, sort of worked, but the goal was lost when other technologies entered the market. With the Professional level machine and added features including the New displays, the machine may have a whole new interest.

For instance, if you read this forum, anyone that has an older model is wanting to upgrade to the MZ-RH1 or MZ-M200. Either as an additional unit or as a replacement. That says something in itself.

With Professional interest, this may become a mainstay for the coming years.

I read with interest the REVIEWS of the units and wait for OWNERS to come up with their own reviews.

As for North America not getting them, All I have heard is North America will not get the BLACK unit, however, Sony will be releasing the SILVER unit.

I don't beleive the MD is dead by a long shot. Especially when MD's were pulled from the Aussies and now I read that the MZ-RH1 and most likely the sister unit, MZ-M200 will be re-introduced again to the Aussies.

This speaks volumes of how confident Sony is on this improved technology and the sales expected during this release.

AS long as there is an interest and dollar value, the MD will continue to be sold.

O

According to SoundProfessionals, they will be getting the black units as well as silver. However, they wont be getting the black ones until about a month after the silver.

They stated June or July for the silver ones as of yesterday.

Edited by raintheory

Heads-up for SoundProfessionals Pre-Orders...

They have the M200 (black model with sony mic) listed on their site, 1st shipment expected in July.

The RH1 (silver model with free soundprofessionals mic) is listed for shipment in June and is $100 less than the M200.

I think I'll be fine with the silver model myself.

Heads-up for SoundProfessionals Pre-Orders...

They have the M200 (black model with sony mic) listed on their site, 1st shipment expected in July.

The RH1 (silver model with free soundprofessionals mic) is listed for shipment in June and is $100 less than the M200.

I think I'll be fine with the silver model myself.

Are we talking silver as in chrome or more of a brushed aluminum?

Heres their page on it: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/...tem/SONY-MZ-RH1

Doesn't really look chrome thankfully.

Beware!!

I don't know where SoundProfessionals got their detailed spec sheet from, but in key areas such as battery type(s!!!), it doesn't agree with what I downloaded from this site for the RH1. My understanding is that the RH1 takes ONLY a Lithium rechargeable cell (3.7V LIP-4WM), and that it doesn't permit an "AA" cell outrider.

My local Sony Centre had a black RH1 in stock last week but no (spare) batteries for it. I'm still trying to source LIP-4WMs at a sensible price in the UK. A year ago they were around £35. I've seen them at around £10 (incl postage) via ebay from China, but obviously I'd prefer to find them in the UK.

Has anyone tried the Hi-MD Music Transfer 1.0 software for Macintosh that comes with the first release of the MZ-RH1?

I'm looking at the manual pdf online (thanks for the link!), and the list of included "accessories" on p. 9, in addition to the Hi-MD Music Transfer for Mac software on the CD-ROM. includes "Mac Music Transfer 'operating instructions'"; on p. 18 it's called a "Hi-MD Music Transfer for Mac instruction sheet,'" that I'd LOVE to see.

Re: Upload/download limitations: Since we'll be using the MZ-RH1 solely to record live music performances to transfer to our Mac via USB (and then make aiff or mp3 CDs from those files thru Toast 6 Titanium software), will the upload sopftware that accompanies this first MZ-RH1 release work OK for us?

We won't be sending any output back from the Mac to the MZ-RH1; it'll be strictly used for recording and a little playing (until we transfer the files only).

Also, I note in the MZ-RH1 manua some talk of wrapping wires around tiny ferrite cores, attaching clips, etc. It said that you should do this if you want to record. This was a tad intimidating to this newbie... more info, please?

And I note that Sound Pros have upped the price on the waiting list! From I believe $319 to now $348! Arrgh! We here in NorCal are waiting; tempted to hunt down a Japanese model, but don't want to pay premium price; $348 is bad enough! And what's about this (hopefully idle) rumor that Sony WON'T be releasing it at all?

Thanks for all the advice; do appreciate it and can't wait for this machine!

Also, I note in the MZ-RH1 manual some talk of wrapping wires around tiny ferrite cores, attaching clips, etc. It said that you should do this if you want to record. This was a tad intimidating to this newbie... more info, please?

I've done it on my RH10, and it's quite straightforward. All the items are supplied, and the instructions are clear. No idea whether it made any difference as I did it before doing any recordings. (If the ferrite cores really were "tiny" I guess they'd be inside the RH1's case! They're actually quite sizeable, but at least on the RH10, aren't needed when doing field recording with electret microphones.)

Man, am I fed up. I must have walked the length of Oxford Street,searched the whole web, looking for a RH1. From having a man in my local Sony centre telling me that the RH1 was an old model, and I must be after the RH10 :blink:, to peole looking at me like I was a from 1980(Mini Disc, what is that <_< ) In my frustration, I sent off a e-mail to Sony Europe, and rang Sonys customer help line. I was told that the RH1 is the only Mini disc Sony do. It's only been out for 6 weeks, and as the demand for Hard drive/MP3 players is all the rage, Sony haven't made many. I was also told that this COULD be the last Mini disc Sony make before they phrase them out, but thats nothing no one here hasn't heard before.

Same here - I can't find any RH1's in London or anywhere else for love nor money.

Well as you can see from my signature, I bought my RH1 yesterday, and from my local Sony Centre in Central Milton Keynes. They may have the display model left.

As others have said, it's certainly aimed more at recording on the fly. Shortly after opening my patio door this am, I thought I heard a woodpecker hammering away in the trees. I'd already set it to manual recording, and I now have a clear recording of my "woodpecker" at work. (Will have to check whether I'm correct.) It's great to be able to record straight off, and to have a dated recording. Very useful for wildlife etc.

My black model isn't quite the same as that illustrated in the posted review. The markings for the -12db are now in roughly the correct position. Can't say the spectrum analyser helps much, but some may find it of help. I do like seeing levels on playback - just as my old Panasonic MD units performed.

I expected to be able to use the same drivers as for my RH10 & NH900 - not so, on my Win98SE machine. I had to go through loading Sonicstage 3.4, and on my machine (with the latest McAfee anti-virus in use) that took an absolute age, and in places where Sony hadn't expected any delay, I thought my PC had frozen. Anyway, eventually it was all up and working, and I haven't lost any library tracks.

Headphone Output levels - these are now more or less the same for European and other models - 4.5mw and 5mw.

Packaging...

I simply couldn't believe how heavy the box was! (>1.2kg for a 110g unit.) I fully expected to find an old fashioned iron and copper mains adapter, but no, the weight was from the separate copies of the instruction manual in each of 6 languages. Is this really environmentally friendly? Even if the paper is recycled?

Must get out and capture some more wildlife.

Packaging...

I simply couldn't believe how heavy the box was! (>1.2kg for a 110g unit.) I fully expected to find an old fashioned iron and copper mains adapter, but no, the weight was from the separate copies of the instruction manual in each of 6 languages. Is this really environmentally friendly? Even if the paper is recycled?

Congrats on finding an RH1. I'm anxiously awaiting the shipment of mine.

6 manuals seems like overkill, I suppose that's simply to make the product more accessible to more people. Environmentally friendly? Depends on your point of view I guess. As waste, maybe not. At least the trees used for that paper are grown on a farm specifically for that rather than damaging natural forests.

I just had to note, this topic has reached over 100,000 views. Absolutely stunning; a big F-U to whoever says this format is dead. E-tailers are reporting unprecedented sales and interest has never been higher. This forum is truly an testiment to product revitalization through the word of consumers.

I just had to note, this topic has reached over 100,000 views. Absolutely stunning; a big F-U to whoever says this format is dead. E-tailers are reporting unprecedented sales and interest has never been higher. This forum is truly an testiment to product revitalization through the word of consumers.

B)^_^

:D

Brilliant news! I hope Sony really take on the legacy of MD higher (sure they may have some surprises up their sleeve ;) ). With the news of non-DRMed ATRAC (news about the plugin) and the SDK coming out soon (which I predicted may happen), we could see some drag'n'drop MD players on the way or something similiar.

This shows Sony are not hanging up their boots yet on MD.

Latest news is, Sound Professionals has received the MZ-RH1 and it came in BLACK!!! Also, MiniDisco received their stock and it also is in Black!

Pricing is at $329 US, and only Sound Professionals include a Mic ( No idea what quality a free Mic amy give you.

Obviously the MZ-RH1 IS NOT the last of its kind as it has a SISTER unit coming out, the MZ-M200.\

Ya'all need to just enjoy the technology and for get about the guys with their death predictions of the MD. This unit is way too advanced to hint at an early demise.

Cost of Research and Development alone screams follow up models.

AS said before, if you are that afraid but love the format, stock up on discs and worry no more. Silly worry, but people get nervous.

And as a last thought, if the MD died tomorrow, WHAT IS THERE ON THE MARKET THAT COULD POSSIBLY REPLACE IT?????? I don't see anything close to the new MZ-RH1 and MZ-M200 units. Nothing matches portability with ability to change the music data (disc), this includes size, weight, battery life. - Nuff Said

So rest assured with your new purchase, MD has a future.

And now that it is available in the color I wanted, I need to decide where I want to order one from......

O

O

Bah nothing new for me. Still no dedicated EQ access button and the stupid long press button to enter menu. It's so stupid for stupids like us that have to buy sony as there are no HiMD's from sharp ! :angry2:

I fully agree with you on that one . I still use my Sharp Mt 877 whenever I can do without the himd feature. It's all so much simpler and makes so much more sense .

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, everyone. Could someone please tell me if it is possible to upload the old MD recordings to PC in WAV or MP3 format or it has to be Sony format? Will it allow me to upload music that was originally copied from a CD? If it has to be Sony format can it be later converted to MP3? I tried searching but this is all I found:

"So, let me get this straight...

With this new unit I can finally upload all my old SD recordings. Or can I? Will it allow me to upload music that was originally copied from a CD?

Then once uploaded to my pc - what can I do with the music? Can I convert it to mp3?, wav?, burn it to a CD?, put it back onto SD minidisc?"

But I could not find a clear answer to this. Thank you! :D

You can upload 'legacy' formats (SP, LP2, LP4) to your PC, along with the HiMD formats, with the RH1. LP2 and LP4 can come in natively(and/or be converted to WAV), but SP must be converted to either standard WAV or HiSP format. If you convert any of those into WAV you can do whatever you'd like with the files (burn CDs, make MP3s, etc).

You MAY have issues depending on how you uploaded the files, and if you have a PC or a Mac. Right now, Sony's software is very limited on the Mac. For the PC you can upload any of it-- I've heard of issues if you uploaded to a standard minidisc (60/74/80 minute) using a NetMD drive in LP2 or LP4-- those may not upload. But if you recorded via Line/digital in, it should be ok.

I should test more, I skipped the whole NetMD generation so my knowledge of that is a little fuzzy. (all my standard MDs are recorded via line or optical in)

You can NOT upload SP back onto a disc in true SP format. It must either be coverted to HiSP, LP2/LP4, or the like.

Edited by Justin42

• 2 weeks later...

I can't help thinking that this is the last hurrah. Such a shame with so many players and discs out there, and so much money spent on R&D over the years.

With companies still coming up with new designs for conventional MDs - you would have thought there would still be some mileage in it. Maybe there is - they've got the heads up from Sony and so have released another batch of new designs until another exciting development.

Who knows.

If I was in charge of personal audio at Sony, I would have skipped Net-MD entirely and just gone straight for Hi-MD. Not released any new models for a year, 18 months but with a promise of something good. And boom. 2nd gen Hi-MD straight off.

I remember thinking at the time how limited Net-MD was.

If they released a Hi-MD deck this afternoon, I'd buy it tomorrow. I hardly use my lovely MDS-JB980s any more apart from as a temporary DAC!

I mean just look at this rackmount beauty...

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MDS-E10.html

And the Denon dual MD deck for DJs. Imagine all that for Hi-MD!

I'm a total newbie on MD recorders, so be patient. I'll try to not totally stupid.

I am looking at the MZ-RH1. Price at B&H Photo is $320US. They only stock it in silver. Are there any pluses with the black color over silver?

Next, there seems to be an newer MZ-M200 @ $400. Comes in blk or silver.

Are there any features that one would really miss if only doing film documentaries?

Or, what does one get for the extra $80US?

I've enjoyed reading this tread. I almost get it.

regards to all.

ok, let me try reworking the question.

HAS anyone bought an MD player from Japan, if so what are the differences for power are there.

I assume the recorder is pretty much the same.

thanks

Lol, my original post got pruned.... I'll try again... :)

I bought my MZ-RH1 from Japan last month.... what exactly did you want to know? The power voltage for Japan is 110V but it came with a charger that is compatible world wide ie 100-240V 50/60A. I just had to buy a Japan to Australia plug to fit it into the sockets here.